Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

I think the medical experts have presented them with a range of options and Johnson and co have picked the one they like best on the basis of least disruption. I find the lack of comprehensive advice and measures to protect the most vulnerable staggering.

Last edited:
I think the medical experts have presented them with a range of options and Johnson and co have picked the one they like best on the basis of least disruption. I fond the lack of comphensibe advice and measures to protect the most vulnerable staggering.

If by “least disruption” most appealing to their billionaire sponsors at this moment in time.

I think the medical experts have presented them with a range of options and Johnson and co have picked the one they like best on the basis of least disruption. I fond the lack of comphensibe advice and measures to protect the most vulnerable staggering.

it’s part of the strategy to remove social care from the budget and shift it onto individuals and their families

Neoliberalism, no quarter given

I don't understand this.
Healthcare professionals are the most at - risk group in society in terms of probability of catching the virus. Not necessarily in terms of mortality (although I know of at least two itu doctors currently ventilated in Italy) but in terms of getting infected. The patients in the community with the highest viral load-the sickest people - come to doctors. Those of us (and nurses, HCAs etc) in the hospital environment may as well not do anything to reduce our risk of getting it if we are going to continue working (I am fully committed to working through this).
Our risk is to others, and that's the only reason I see to take any social distancing measures

thank you

Have the govt said themselves they're being led by behavioral science or is that speculation? I can see there is some value in thinking about behaviours but I'd have thought more emphasis on medical, epidemiological, yes, immunological expertise, along with expertise on what would be least worst for NHS.

Personally I think it would be better to try to minimise infection this year in the hopes there will be some treatments or vaccines next year, or that the virus is less transmittable or fatal by then, while accepting that is not necessarily likely.

Do we even know how long people are immune to a strain of cold coronavirus after having it? If I get 3 lurgies in 3 months are they all different viruses?

The DWP is now led primarily by behavioural science as is parts of the NHS, FND, M/H, etc. its very influential

So Whitty thinks the peak is still 10-14 weeks away, which even at 20% daily increase means a figure four times as many as live in the UK. Yes I know the figures don't mean that much any more but when, exactly, do they close everything down based on this? I reckon we're two weeks behind Italy, and they've just stopped everyone leaving the house.

Exactly. If they were genuine about what they want to do here, they'd be doing everything they could to expand the capability of the NHS to treat as many people as possible - but as far as I can see they aren't doing anything at a national level (which is not to say that individual trusts aren't increasing their own capacity to treat people, but it will not be enough for them to do it themselves).

So Whitty thinks the peak is still 10-14 weeks away, which even at 20% daily increase means a figure four times as many as live in the UK. Yes I know the figures don't mean that much any more but when, exactly, do they close everything down based on this? I reckon we're two weeks behind Italy, and they've just stopped everyone leaving the house.

You're assuming a constant rate of increase. Growth rate falls as you approach the peak of the curve.

So how do we speed up the shutdown (if that’s we need to do)

You're assuming a constant rate of increase. Growth rate falls as you approach the peak of the curve.
Yeah, as I've said before any talk of figures comes with huge caveats but we're going to be talking huge numbers, and if the gov are waiting for this peak before closing the country it's going to be ages isn't it? Potential for a lot more vulnerable people to get it. I reckon we could manage six months of shutdown given the right mindset. But it's almost "deal with it"

And these cunts can stay exactly where they are.

“The girls”. They are in their twenties.

“the staff don’t speak English”. They complain, about the staff in Vietnam looking after them

they actually seem quite decent, and are trying to offer advice about isolation, etc.

it’s part of the strategy to remove social care from the budget and shift it onto individuals and their families

Neoliberalism, no quarter given

Johnson is on record as saying that families should take up the burden of social care, it was reported days after his election victory.

L********* M******* at the Council (Contingency and Emergency Planning Officer):

The scenario will be covered by the care providers business continuity arrangements for significant loss of staff which may become applicable should the self isolation advice be extended.
In the event of this spreading wider than the capacity of individual continuity planning being effective, coordinated business continuity to reduce non essential services in order to support essential services would be implemented. This would be supported by existing Sheffield multi-agency pandemic planning arrangements, which have recently been reviewed and tested in preparation for such a situation.

Wasnt going to post this bit it is very worrying, it is in manageralise, but its a reply to a request on how disabled and sick people(DASP) will cope in a pandemic, was meant to be about those on direct payments, but reply is about care homes I think, but basically saying
lower levels of outbreak would be managed by the care company in the same way as any other bout of illness or significant staff shortages, and if it gets worse than this, there is a city-wide group who plan for these eventualities. They seem confident that these plans would cover it.

I don't think their plans will, many disabled and sick people can't even get care or carers at present, what happens when their carers, if they ahve any, get sick.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Some rise in cases in Swansea overnight (Wales gives its figures in the mornings). Swansea University rumoured to be closing. My partner, who works at UWTSD, had to detail work from home arrangements yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom