Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Could be stuff like nationalisation of struggling airlines though. I mean if we are paying for them from the public purse and all...

I'm not sure we should do anything much to help out airlines.If there are fewer flights in the future that's a good thing. Virgin or whoever might go bust but the aeroplanes airports pilots etc will still exist in 2021. And there will still be lots of rich people. If there is a need and desire for air travel then some plucky wealth creators will surely see the opportunity in buying bargain jets.

I think it's a good plan to be cautious what you extrapolate from one video.
I am not in central London but the buses and trains (overground, and commuter services into Victoria) that pass me here are still virtually empty this morning.

Also, I counted about 35 people getting off the bus in the video. The capacity of a double decker bus is about 80-90 seated. So that means it's possible no-one was sitting next to each other.

I'm not saying there's no problem; I'm saying that looking at a single video is a rubbish way of assessing the situation.

Has there not been instructions that only x number of people are to be let on the bus? :confused: We've spent enough time talking about the tube logistics. Or is it just bus passengers are even more lowly.
Who is expected to stop passengers getting on the bus when x is reached? the driver? If the bus is half empty or even three-quarters empty and he/she tries to stop passengers getting on and filling those seats there will be aggro. Some people will accept the logic of it and wait though I suspect after waiting at the bus stop watching the third half empty bus drive away even the most patient of commuters are going to be getting wound up. Commuting in London is stressful even without the Rona and if I were a bus driver, I don't think I'd be that keen on getting my head kicked in for £10 a hour (or whatever they get). Mostly I suspect they will pull up their mask, open the window and drive on.

I am not in central London but the buses and trains (overground, and commuter services into Victoria) that pass me here are still virtually empty this morning.
I am not in Central London either, and the buses are teeming with people in my area.

Got a text from someone who works for King's College Hospital who has to go to work and takes train to work: death is certain, stay at home.

Who is expected to stop passengers getting on the bus when x is reached? the driver? If the bus is half empty or even three-quarters empty and he/she tries to stop passengers getting on and filling those seats there will be aggro.
From what I've seen the whole front third of the bus, up to the stairs, is taped off so any driver would have difficulty communicating with the passengers in the first place.

Also, I counted about 35 people getting off the bus in the video. The capacity of a double decker bus is about 80-90 seated. So that means it's possible no-one was sitting next to each other.

I'm not saying there's no problem; I'm saying that looking at a single video is a rubbish way of assessing the situation.

Yup. There was a lot of this around when lockdown started. I had a couple of friends who were key workers having to go into central London. They were sending photos of totally empty tube carriages yet photos were appearing here showing the exact opposite. A mixed picture.

Yup. There was a lot of this around when lockdown started. I had a couple of friends who were key workers having to go into central London. They were sending photos of totally empty tube carriages yet photos were appearing here showing the exact opposite. A mixed picture.
Route and time will make a lot of difference obviously but it's shocking that the above scene happened once.

Who is expected to stop passengers getting on the bus when x is reached? the driver? If the bus is half empty or even three-quarters empty and he/she tries to stop passengers getting on and filling those seats there will be aggro. Some people will accept the logic of it and wait though I suspect after waiting at the bus stop watching the third half empty bus drive away even the most patient of commuters are going to be getting wound up. Commuting in London is stressful even without the Rona and if I were a bus driver, I don't think I'd be that keen on getting my head kicked in for £10 a hour (or whatever they get). Mostly I suspect they will pull up their mask, open the window and drive on.

Well they manage it at my bus stop all the time. If no one on the bus rings the bell to get off they drive past without stopping. If a passenger does want to get off, even in normal times when we theoretically dont enter by the middle door, they drive past the stop a little bit and let them off.

Anyway I'm usually up at 6.30 these days and 8 bus routes stop right outside mine but I'm having a lie in today. This is probably the busiest bus they found. I'll be watching!

That's right, the front of the buses is taped off, so an area that could fit 10-12 people is cordoned off. I first saw it 3 weeks ago.

42 TFL workers died from covid-19, no way the families of these people are not suing the TFL.

I think it will hard to prove they caught it whilst working.

He said: “I thought it might be worth updating the House on the latest information that I have about the number (of transport workers) who have sadly died with Covid-19, though not necessarily through their jobs, we don’t know.

The bank bailout involved buying up bank assets most of which were later sold, didn't it? So not really comparable.
Its lack of comparability isn't quite what you think, though. This time, instead of printing money and giving it to banks, who then lend it out (main effect of which was to push up house prices and stock values to record levels), they're giving the money directly to people to spend as they wish. A far more direct and effective use of printed/borrowed money wrt stimulating an economy and not just allowing the rich to get richer off the back of that stimulus. Putting the money in at the bottom rather than the top.

If anything what they're doing now is more sustainable. It's definitely more equitable. Done to support people rather than asset values. The bank bailouts could have been done like this as well, of course.

ETA: Also, what you say isn't really true. QE mostly involved the BoE effectively writing an IOU to itself and then lending that money out to banks at next-to-no interest with the intention of of stimulating the banks to start lending. It was a massive subsidy for the already-rich.

Last edited:

Some of the pictures at that stage were misleading... as I recall some were off Twitter etc, some were from legit(ish) press but tagged ‘last week’ or something. These are generally being reported and labelled as recent photos, and are coming from a wider range of media.

Could be stuff like nationalisation of struggling airlines though. I mean if we are paying for them from the public purse and all...
If we're going to start nationalising companies we want to nationalise some that can make a profit, Nationalising airlines at the moment is a bit like putting a dumpster on the runway at Heathrow filling it with £50's and setting it ablaze.

Bus drivers do seem to have been particularly hard hit. A couple of days ago I was reading through the ONS figures relating to the age and jobs of those who had died to covid-19 (those who are not retired). Bus driver was very high in the list as was security guard. There may well be a viral load thing going on but also possible that the demographic of bus drivers (sex and age) plus not great baseline health as with the very sedentary nature of the job (as with security guard) made / makes them particularly vulnerable. Either way tfl needs to be especially careful with their bus drivers.

Its lack of comparability isn't quite what you think, though. This time, instead of printing money and giving it to banks, who then lend it out (main effect of which was to push up house prices and stock values to record levels), they're giving the money directly to people to spend as they wish. A far more direct and effective use of printed/borrowed money wrt stimulating an economy and not just allowing the rich to get richer off the back of that stimulus. Putting the money in at the bottom rather than the top.

If anything what they're doing now is more sustainable. It's definitely more equitable. Done to support people rather than asset values. The bank bailouts could have been done like this as well, of course.

ETA: Also, what you say isn't really true. QE mostly involved the BoE effectively writing an IOU to itself and then lending that money out to banks at next-to-no interest with the intention of of stimulating the banks to start lending. It was a massive subsidy for the already-rich.
I'm not arguing against the furlough scheme; I agree it's better putting the money in at the "bottom" - I just think that the argument "we could afford the bank bailout which cost X therefore we can afford this which will cost Y" isn't a very good one because you are comparing apples with oranges.

The bank bailout involved buying up bank assets most of which were later sold, didn't it? So not really comparable.

Following the programme of QE announced in March 2020, our purchases of government bonds will total £645 billion.

Lloyds & RBS shares were sold off cheap to George Osborne's mates in the City. Even so RBS is still majority owned by the state 12 years on.

Back
Top Bottom