Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Same for a lot of England (and I imagine rest of uk) to be fair. I’ve even read that this crazy policy of putting people in safe, comfortable environments and giving them regular meals and access to washing facilities is - shockingly- helping them in other ways.
it does get to be a bit of a mess though. Putting fucked up people all in one hotel without having enough staff to actually support them has its own problems. Locally one hotel had half its room TV's cleared out and flogged on.

It took me a minute to realise that TVs are no longer heavyweight enormous things but even so, I'd have thought it a bit tricky to wander out with a television.

Would take nearly three years of that to equal the quantitative easing done in response to the banking crisis.

It's not such a huge cost. It's less than 1% GDP per month.
If those figures are correct (not doubting you) it really puts in perspective what value we as a society put on things.

If we can use circa 10% of GDP to support the economy while we overcome Covid19, we could potentially use similar levels of support to rebuild for everyone's benefit once it's over.

Whether or not we do is, of course, a political decision, but it's one we should be arguing for and fighting for now.

At least the daily data came back to the press conference today, with new ugly slideshow format. I wont moan about the looks too much though since they also included hospital admissions numbers for England which they have shown before but not very often. They even included ONS death data, but only for Covid-19 cases, not all deaths.

I laughed rather loudly when the Bloomberg journalist asked whether the tories would now drop their manifesto pledge to reduce the power of unions.

I have a question that maybe someone here can answer. I have a young child with my estranged partner. She is not coping particularly well as she's also holding down her job working from home while trying to look after him. Am I now allowed to go over there and take him out for the day to give her a break in the form of 'exercise'?

The rules seem very confusing. I know it's limited to two people meeting, maintaining the 2 metre rule but does that apply here?

I wonder if the terms of the furlough extension being more generous than expected has anything to do with the public reaction to the clusterfuck of the last 48 hours or so?
Could be. Or could just be briefing on a worse-than-intended scenario in order to look benevolent and competent (in the eyes of anyone who tends toward that) when you reveal your actual schedule.

I have a question that maybe someone here can answer. I have a young child with my estranged partner. She is not coping particularly well as she's also holding down her job working from home while trying to look after him. Am I now allowed to go over there and take him out for the day to give her a break in the form of 'exercise'?

The rules seem very confusing. I know it's limited to two people meeting, maintaining the 2 metre rule but does that apply here?
Children have been allowed to move between separated parents from the beginning of lockdown, so you're fine to pick him up and look after him at your own home.

Ah. Yes, I think that makes it different. You're mixing households then, aren't you.

Yep. The rules around kids are immensely confusing. His nursery is supposed to open on June 1 and it's highly unlikely he'll suffer from the virus but I highly doubt the staff will want to return to work as kids can still carry it and pass it on to them. It's a total mess.

Yes, well I live with flatmates - I assumed that complicated things?

My understanding is that it does complicate things in terms of risk of infection, but it's the same as before, it's been allowed from the start as has been said. Children are allowed to move between different parental households, there's no specific need for them to be single parent living alone households.

Some interesting Scotland/England/Wales numbers here

Dr Smith said: "If you have symptoms like coughing blood ...
Coronavirus: Number of 'excess deaths' during Covid crisis running 20 higher in England and Wales than Scotland
Oh woe.

Had a bit of doing that. Still, it has stopped. Is that a Covid-19 thing also, then? Never mind eh? Still alive. Not fun at the time, though.

Problem is I ought to go to my Dad but trying to weigh risk and benefit. Feel I should be there to be there to do the cooking and provide company but not if I bring a plague with me. Guilty both ways.

Dr Smith said: "If you have symptoms like coughing blood ...
Coronavirus: Number of 'excess deaths' during Covid crisis running 20 higher in England and Wales than Scotland
Oh woe.

Had a bit of doing that. Still, it has stopped. Is that a Covid-19 thing also, then? Never mind eh? Still alive. Not fun at the time, though.

I think they're saying don't not go to get checked up because of fear of covid-19 if you're coughing up blood as it's a potential sign of cancer (it is listed with other things to not ignore like unexplained lumps).

I think they're saying don't not go to get checked up because of fear of covid-19 if you're coughing up blood as it's a potential sign of cancer (it is listed with other things to not ignore like unexplained lumps).
Just didn't want to be a "worried well" bothering busy NHS. Has gone now. :)

If those figures are correct (not doubting you) it really puts in perspective what value we as a society put on things.

If we can use circa 10% of GDP to support the economy while we overcome Covid19, we could potentially use similar levels of support to rebuild for everyone's benefit once it's over.

Whether or not we do is, of course, a political decision, but it's one we should be arguing for and fighting for now.
Yep. And equally we need to be arguing against all those who say a new austerity is needed cos covid. Those voices have already started. Not only is it not needed, but as you say, if we choose to we can do the opposite.

Be interesting how this pans out long term. I do see Johnson's government as potentially very different from previous tory govts. It is and will continue to be dishonest and functioning primarily for the rich, but it also very clearly wants to be popular and is prepared to spend money to that end.

Last edited:
My understanding is that it does complicate things in terms of risk of infection, but it's the same as before, it's been allowed from the start as has been said. Children are allowed to move between different parental households, there's no specific need for them to be single parent living alone households.

I don't really want to have that conversation with my flatmates tbh as it's such a grey area. I'd rather just go pick him up and take him to the park for the day but will the 2m thing still apply? Will I need to put him on a lead? :D

I don't really want to have that conversation with my flatmates tbh as it's such a grey area. I'd rather just go pick him up and take him to the park for the day but will the 2m thing still apply? Will I need to put him on a lead? :D

I think it's one of those things where it's inevitably fuzzy... Maybe to talk to your er... EP, see how careful she's been being about distancing. It's never going to be perfect, but I suppose if you can come to some idea of taking all the steps you can to minimise transmission, might be a bit easier to justify to yourself. Also depends on age/situation of flatemates I suppose.

I think it's one of those things where it's inevitably fuzzy... Maybe to talk to your er... EP, see how careful she's been being about distancing. It's never going to be perfect, but I suppose if you can come to some idea of taking all the steps you can to minimise transmission, might be a bit easier to justify to yourself. Also depends on age/situation of flatemates I suppose.

She's been very disciplined about it I think. But she doesn't follow the news much so will take my word for it if I say it's ok. So that's what I'll do. I'll blame you if I get busted ;)

There's gonna be a whole generation of kids with a huge whole in their formative years. That'll be the true second wave.

So now i have got a bit of 'inside knowledge' about national trust plans, at least the local area.
Staged re-opening, the first little car parks already yesterday, some other spots by Saturday (16th) and the bit i live in gates wont open until 1st June (email says its because this part will be hardest to manage social distancing in).
It says "We will operate it at 50% of the usual capacity and will turn people away once it is full. We will open the toilets; if people do not observe social distancing whilst using them, we will close them again. ."
That is a huge amount of staffing they'll need all of a sudden, when usually theres nobody around here policing anything. Maybe they 'll get volunteers to stand there policing social distancing in the toilets idk.

Back
Top Bottom