Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Good irrelevant stats. How much heart disease or diabetes killed other people?

Like I said if it was ebola. You’d be hiding away.

Plus the lockdown will be longer the more people flout it. Lefties being selfish cunts. I’m not surprised.

If you have to, you have to e.g. to buy food or medicine. Nobody has to ride a push bike for fun, though though. My kids are able to understand why they can't go out on their bikes, but some grown men don't seem to get it, or to care.

Actually how is going for a cycle around your neighbourhood different to going for a walk?

I don't think it's just hypocrisy or scapegoating, if sunbathing in a park you're occupying a public space in a different way than if you're moving through it. As you are if you're sitting on a bench having a coffee after a bike ride. Actions have symbolic resonance - taking up space publically right now seems counter to the idea that you limit your life as much as possible to your home.

Of course, I appreciate all the arguments about scapegoating, dangerous working conditions that aren't visible and public, privileged and entitled people continuing to enact their privilege and entitlement, the unfairness of the limits. It's all those things, but I still don't think it's ok to sunbathe in a park just now.

Scum
The owners of the ExCeL centre in east London are charging the NHS millions of pounds in rent to use it as a temporary hospital for coronavirus patients.

The ExCeL, owned by the Abu Dhabi National Exhibitions Company (Adnec), is charging the health service £2m-£3m a month, according to industry sources.

The Nightingale Hospital London, the first of several temporary facilities planned, was opened by the health secretary, Matt Hancock, on Friday. It will hold up to 4,000 patients in 80 wards. At full capacity it would be one of the biggest hospitals in the world.

The ExCeL’s decision to charge rent is in contrast to the NEC in Birmingham, owned by the American private equity giant Blackstone, which is providing the venue for free
[via Times paywall]

I don't think it's just hypocrisy or scapegoating, if sunbathing in a park you're occupying a public space in a different way than if you're moving through it. As you are if you're sitting on a bench having a coffee after a bike ride. Actions have symbolic resonance - taking up space publically right now seems counter to the idea that you limit your life as much as possible to your home.

Of course, I appreciate all the arguments about scapegoating, dangerous working conditions that aren't visible and public, privileged and entitled people continuing to enact their privilege and entitlement, the unfairness of the limits. It's all those things, but I still don't think it's ok to sunbathe in a park just now.

Yeah, definitely agree with that.

No I wouldn't because ebola isn't very infectious. And I'm not convinced that coronavirus is infectious enough to be passed from human to human outdoors at a distance of a few feet.

Keep it up then. When you get it. Let me know.

Sadly you wont know how many you killed if you are asymptomatic.

Reading the Intensive Care National Audit & Research Centre's report on UK Covid patients' outcomes in ICUs.

In brief: try not to end up in an ICU.

Itchy feet? Check out the report first. This page then the 'report' link in the first para opens a PDF.

A quick reminder as the one who started this whole cycling discussion earlier in this thread: it wasn’t the cycling I was objecting to, it was the fact that the cyclists stopped in the village to buy a coffee. If cyclists can manage to keep moving, keep distant, avoid touching things and return home, I can’t see that there’s a huge problem. There is a chance that they are spreading the virus more widely than a walker would, but if they are minimising the chance of spreading it at all, this seems acceptable. But when they stop to buy a coffee, that means they are increasing the risk of transmission to a new location, which is really selfish.

It helps the people who don't die of Covid-19 from the accidental infection caused by people passing on the way to the park.

This is the rub though isn't it. There is no real evidence that this kind of transmission is happening or even likely to happen. People meeting up, talking face to face, all this is a problem, and perhaps that cannot be prevented without strict measures, but those measures are not cost free. If people end up losing their shit, or bored kids break free and start to kick off, or fights happen both within and outside of the house, then any slight benefit gained from stopping people walking past each other is lost to increased hospitalisations, pressures on mental health services, and other essential services. It's just not as simple as saying stay in your home whatever the circumstances potentially for months on end, as the authorities in both Italy and Spain now seem to be recognising.

It helps the people who don't die of Covid-19 from the accidental infection caused by people passing on the way to the park. You can't do this social distancing thing without it going wrong quite often.

I'm so surprised at people's attitudes. Sorry for repetition. Even here. What a shame.

Everyone here takes this very seriously, they just disagree on certain elements of how to handle it. I think there are serious issues with social distancing around shops, pharmacies, public transport etc and I want them sorted. I'm not aware of any objective evidence backing up what you say about people passing at a distance out walking as a disease vector. There's degrees of inherent risk in everything beyond complete solitary isolation at the moment, I don't think stopping people taking socially distanced walks should be the main focus right now.

I think buying coffees when you're out is ridiculous, and I don't think people should take a picnic to a park or stay for a lengthy period of time, but if someone is taking a few minutes to feel the sun on their skin, who may possibly have been inside for several days, I can't honestly begrudge someone that.

I think buying coffees when you're out is ridiculous, and I don't think people should take a picnic to a park or stay for a lengthy period of time, but if someone is taking a few minutes to feel the sun on their skin, who may possibly have been inside for several days, I can't honestly begrudge someone that.

A lot of people who need to exercise the most due to health conditions might need to stop and have a short break. The assumption that exercise means a brisk two mile walk or half hour cycle ride without stopping seems to be based on the idea that exercise is just for the young and healthy.

A lot of people who need to exercise the most due to health conditions might need to stop and have a short break. The assumption that exercise means a brisk two mile walk or half hour cycle ride without stopping seems to be based on the idea that exercise is just for the young and healthy.

That’s absolutely true... but I don’t think anyone is talking about the odd person taking a quick rest on a park bench (though... touch risk there). Sunbathing, using that bench when you don’t need to. That’s more the problem.

This whole debate around people going out is about individual vs collective behaviour.

What harm does one person sunbathing in an empty park, a couple having a picnic on an empty beach or someone going for a bike ride on an empty country road do? None really. But why is that beach, park and road empty? Because most people are doing what they've been told to and stayed home. Why are those individuals so fucking special that they get to flout the lockdown? If everyone decided to go to that empty park or beach or for a ride on that empty road, they wouldn't be empty. They'd be packed with people sharing each others germs.

In a country of 68 million bored people social distancing is only possible if everyone plays their part and only goes out if they have to.

Judging by these photos of Cemtral London (and I’m assuming it’s the same up and down the country) the lockdown is pretty comprehensive. All the people who would ordinarily be thronging the streets are in their home locale. It’s no wonder local parks are busy. While it annoys and frustrates me as much as anyone else to see so many people out and about, it’s pretty clear that it’s still a minority of people who are going out. A large minority, and too many. But it’s not the same numbers that are usually in the streets and offices in the City and West end. Even if you remove the numbers of tourists/visitors from the equation, it’s still a shit tonne of humans who normally move around the central parts of cities. I’m not seeing those people milling about in (say) Brixton. I reckon the lockdown is working as well as it’s possible to work right now.

That’s not good enough, it needs to be better for sure. But it happened very suddenly, with a huge amount of really hard emotional stuff to deal with, often very tricky personal circumstances on top. Like turning a huge ship around, getting everyone to comply has to overcome inertia, momentum, all the other stuff that gets in the way of radical change. So, while I’m furious and frustrated with my own experiences of breaches of the lockdown and proper distancing, having seen these photos, I'm now dialling down that stuff and feeling glad and relieved, and also just a little bit proud of how the crowds have poured out of the city and gone home.

(It’s also really eerie to see the empty streets in daylight like that. Makes me want to go up Town and gawp at it (of course I won’t). Also makes me remember my visceral horror at the idea of the neutron bomb during the Cold War...)

Last edited:
This whole debate around people going out is about individual vs collective behaviour.

What harm does one person sunbathing in an empty park, a couple having a picnic on an empty beach or someone going for a bike ride on an empty country road do? None really. But why is that beach, park and road empty? Because most people are doing what they've been told to and stayed home. Why are those individuals so fucking special that they get to flout the lockdown? If everyone decided to go to that empty park or beach or for a ride on that empty road, they wouldn't be empty. They'd be packed with people sharing each others germs.

In a country of 68 million bored people social distancing is only possible if everyone plays their part and only goes out if they have to.

I know without any doubt that my stepmother would have been nagging my dad to take advantage of the opportunity to have a picnic or a walk in empty Richmond or Windsor Great Park this weekend. She’s a selfish narcissist by nature, she’d absolutely be thinking of this as a chance to have her own desires met and bugger wider society.

Being really honest, I’d probably be of a similar mind when I was in my teens and twenties. I’d be sneaking off to meet friends in the Brompton Cemetery and the derelict Chiswick Lido.

In any population you’re going to have more and fewer self serving people. Suddenly, we have a situation where the more thoughtless are much more obvious and visible.

Doesn’t mean we should pick them off with sniper fire though, cos it’s inevitable that we’d be destroying the people on mercy missions alongside the arseholes.

There really does seem to be an outcry against people taking forms of exercise that they might enjoy. How dare they do something they find fun when I can only do boring exercise! Same fuckers were undoubtedly those who deliberately deprive NHS staff of shopping by panic buying and hoarding.

Of course, they barely exist and the real problems and issues are elsewhere, but hey, why think about that when we can turn on each other and proclaim our moral superiority to all instead!

How exactly are cyclists spreading the virus? Sorry I don't get that. What is the mechanism?

Because, with the best will in the world they're not going to be able to avoid pinch points. And, panting over pedestrians and e.g. car door handles.

Plus there's always the temptation to e.g. stop for a coffee. Also, they tend to go out for longer than an hour, and cover a wider area than, say, walkers, and (round here at least) seem to do it in groups.

Alo, if they come off their bike they might need hospital, which is a vector for spreading the illness, and an unnecessary use of medical resources.

At the end of the day, even if it's only a small risk, it's still much greater than the risk associated with complete self- isolation, and even one infection can lead to hundreds more.

Whilst key workers are literally risking their lives, I don't think it's too much to expect someone to endure a temporary dip in their Strava figures.

I'm not calling for a police state; I'm appealing to people's own sense of social responsibility. And, in doing so, that's not to say they're the only issue, or to give the government a free ride.

Last edited:
People shouldn't go in their gardens then. I'm regularly less than two metres away from my neighbours while in my garden.

Are they sneezing over the fence. You seem to want to do what you want. If someone you love dies. Let me know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom