Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

I've been wondering why or how mdk1 have not managed to get covid despite me working in a patient facing role and mdk1 had been working in a tiny kitchen with young unvaccinated colleagues. This might be the answer?

I've been wondering why or how mdk1 have not managed to get covid despite me working in a patient facing role and mdk1 had been working in a tiny kitchen with young unvaccinated colleagues. This might be the answer?

Yeah Im no expert on these details but I've tended to assume that this and a few other things are why, when trying to judge new epidemics and pandemics, they never think the attack rate is going to be 100%.

And its one of the areas where I have traditionally been dismayed by our relative lack of understanding of the details. This pandemic has at least provided the opportunity and the impetus to learn more of the detail and test the theories with lots of real world data and via specific studies with no shortage of subjects.

Second item, post #1376, vaccines thread.

Its a misleading headline because there is no way its the first dog in the UK to catch Covid, its just the first one they've formally detected and then gone on about.

In terms of doing something about it, this country couldnt be bothered to deal with a variety of human-human vectors of transmission so the authorities arent likely to bother with anything on the human-animal or animal-human front unless it was demonstrated to be a main vector of transmission, and even then they would probably just shrug and offer meaningless reassurances.
There's little they can do bar watch anyway. It is very highly likely that SARS-CoV-2 zoonosis and reverse zoonosis has been underway for many months now (post #10152, worldwide thread) and over a range of mammalian species.

There's little they can do bar watch anyway. It is very highly likely that SARS-CoV-2 zoonosis and reverse zoonosis has been underway for many months now (post #10152, worldwide thread) and over a range of mammalian species.

Any reported Covid bovids?

Any reported Covid bovids?
They've been finding antibodies in Deer for some time, one study had 40% of the sample show positive

and yes I know they aren't cows just saying I bet its every-fuckin-where in many animals, this thing is a fucking nightmare

I nearly understood bits of that :)

Do we know why they had stronger T-cells - because they'd actually half caught it but were asymptomatic, and the tests were after this?
Not stronger. Just cross-reactive populations of T cells possibly from earlier exposures to other human coronaviridae (a number of epitopes, eg in ORF1ab and S2, are preserved across that family) and perhaps associated with prior repeated occupational exposure to low viral loads.

Personally I'm not so interesting in coming up with scenarios and then choosing which one I find more likely anymore, but I still thought this may be of interest. I also dont agree with framing things as 'when the public can forget about covid'.

Screenshot 2021-11-13 at 12.52.jpg

Went to brunch at a very nice new local eatery, I note they've laid it out with a big window by the coffee machine, suspect that might be a deliberate hedge against lockdowns so they can easily maintain a takeaway service. I'd be interested to know what the impact has been on 'food and beverage' design - I'm guess a few places have been designed or redesigned now to allow for this.

For the first time in a while yesterday I was on a tube where the driver was taking a quite hard line about telling people who were able to to wear masks - got at least one person in our carriage to put his back on, so well done that driver. It would help if all drivers did this as apparently a lot of people still cannot be arsed until told to. :mad:

I'm :rolleyes: at some people who are going 'Ooh look all these European country's infections are shooting up while ours are stabilising!'. Yeah, they're 'shooting up' to the levels our 'stablised' cases have been at for weeks from what I can tell. Not really anything to boast about.

They're pinning it all on the vaccine and stoking hesitancy - I suppose they couldn't come out and admit that everyone needs to wear a mask and stay away from people for as long as it takes ..

Well no, they couldn't. The current do nothing approach is terrible but indefinite social distancing isn't a viable policy is it.

There is a difference between 'indefinite social distancing' and ending such measures prematurely. 'If not now then when?' was obvious bullshit at the time it was delivered.

Certainly, given the establishments default thoughts at the start included 'people wont be prepared to lockdown for very long', we would expect them to have low expectations as to how long such measures could be sustained after the first year of the pandemic. But this also becomes a convenient excuse to remove too many restrictions prematurely, even though its not hard to understand why authorities that rely on 'consent based policing' (ie not enough capacity or intent to actually proactively police) are wary of having rules in place that very few are following, undermining the very idea of authority and doing the right thing.

Given that people do get tired and desperate to move on, the compromises I would have been well prepared to make in regards my own stance on timing of easing restrictions would have been along the lines of letting people have a breather during certain seasons. But that should have been accompanied by a narrative grounded in basic reality, ie framing easings of restictions as something that could be done for a while in summer, but that people should not necessarily expect to last throughout seasons such as winter. Thats what many reasonable people end up deducing for themselves anyway, so I dont think we really needed the shitty merry-go-round which involved predictable timing of mood music changes, and stupid claims about measures being gotten rid of permanently. I dont think its good for mental health to string people along in the way they have, via unsustainable rhetoric.

In any case I expect the authorities still had their eyes on a slightly watered down variation of the 'herd immunity' prize and thats one of the reasons they were content to let over 5 million people test positive since June 1st 2021! Whether they crow about this probably depends on whether it does actually get the desired result over autumn and winter compared to whats happening in a bunch of other countries.

And if long covid implcations turn out to be quite profound, I am unlikely to let 'we had to move on when we did!' shitheads and their pathetic justifications forget the fact that more people have tested positive in the UK since 1st June 2021 than did before that date! Although admittedly that statistic is flawed by the extreme lack of testing in the first wave.

I'm almost certain to turn down my sister if she plans an Xmas meal - though my 85 year old mother has already tested the waters by regularly baby-sitting her 8 year old great-grandchild ...
It will be misunderstood because my sister, like my mother, probably takes her advice from Boris Johnson.

Proposal to end free PCR tests

The plan would involve the winding down of the Covid testing regime, which requires people to get a free test if they have any of the three main symptoms: cough, temperature and loss of smell or taste.

Testing would instead be paid for and left to the private marketplace, despite concerns about some of the companies offering tests. The Competition and Markets Authority are investigating a number of them over misleading claims.

Back
Top Bottom