Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

From what Ive seen Belarus and turkey are working together to get rid of Kurdish people from Turkey there is zero chance of Isis being here. Turkish racsim and Belarusian political shenanigans to disrupt EU states

From what Ive seen Belarus and turkey are working together to get rid of Kurdish people from Turkey there is zero chance of Isis being here. Turkish racsim and Belarusian political shenanigans to disrupt EU states
Wrong thread/not the one you intended?

I dont have a HSJ subscription so I cant actually read these articles but I felt the need to post the headlines anyway.

I think that was on my local news

Cambridge Independant headline said:
Addenbrookes 'ceasing to function as a hospital' and may sent patients to Birmingham or London, warns chief executive

:eek: :confused: :(

Addenbrookes is fucking enormous -- and 'New Addenbrookes' was relatively recently built, and is highly up-to-date and advanced! :confused: :(
(Cambridge friends of my brother, work there ... )

That's a shocker ...... :(

Similar happening with the new built Grange Hospital near Cwmbran, opened ahead of schedule so they could justify closing departments in surrounding hospitals and hasnt been able to replace those lost services since opening as they dont have enough staff. My experience of a 12 hour wait was in may, it must be well broken by now

Yet OH, who has a suspicious lump in the neck has just been in for the second set of tests [another ultrasound & biopsy of the smaller lump] to the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle.
Direct referral from GP to ENT, took less than 2 weeks for the appointment to do the first set of these tests.
This time it was as busy as the previous visit, if not more so, mainly with "internal" imaging requests. A few very ill people around.
It is the "clean" hospital ie non-covid and the masks/sanitiser/social distance rules were clearly still in place and 99% obeyed.

The only guy I saw without mask or lanyard was "in discussion" with [I think] a porter, who was offering a mask ...

edited (as _Russ_ pointed out) I meant without mask. I have a feeling this laptop wants to declare UDI.

Last edited:
Tool wants vaccine mandate for NHS staff can't be arsed to wear a mask in a hospital.

13183996.jpg

Despite my high interest in hospital aquired infections, and the fact that figures like these do briefly pop up in the news a few times a year, I cant say I can remember right now what sort of figures for resulting deaths were given previously. Anyway here is the latest one, the timing of which seems designed to pour fuel on the flames of the compulsory NHS frontline vaccination policy agenda.

Well cases continues to drop, the 7-day average down by -14.8%, and hospital admissions down by -7.8%, and that's only up to 5th Nov., so hopefully has dropped even further since that date, and those drops should be reflected in the death rate soon, which is showing as being up +2.6%

Fingers crossed that this continues.

I suspect the drop in cases has three main causes :-
a) School's have just had the half-term break
b) Vaccinations are proceeding apace in many school areas, and hopefully some of the less hesitant of the refuseniks are getting done as well.
c) Boosters are starting to take affect.

But still not the time to be letting down your guard ...

According to World-o-meter's site ...

UK's had/has 9,366,676 cases & 142,124 deaths, out of a population of 68,368,337 ...

I think it's more the affect of vaccinations.

Presumably at some point the sheer number of people who have had it starts to affect the figures. I don't know if it's at that point but forty thousand cases a day, day after day, must start to have some sort of effect.
The number of susceptible people is affected by how many people caught the virus and the number of susceptible people is indeed one of the very major factors in basic epidemic modelling and the theory of waves.

So in some sense the sheer number of people who have had it has been affecting the picture since the very early days. Whether there is some magic threshold beyond which we see cases plummet in a sustained way is another question, one that is very much a part of the whole 'herd immunity' thing. And even if true herd immunity turns out to be an impossible goal, there are weaker versions of the same phenomenon which can still have some fairly notable affect on numbers but without bringing infections to a screeching halt.

Or another way to look at this is that in different age groups at different moments in this pandemic, the number of people already infected does cramp the viruses style. But maybe not enough for the virus to 'run out of fresh victims' but enough to stop the virus finding trice as many victims as a week or so before, hence providing a barrier against ever doubling case numbers.

Well cases continues to drop, the 7-day average down by -14.8%, and hospital admissions down by -7.8%, and that's only up to 5th Nov., so hopefully has dropped even further since that date, and those drops should be reflected in the death rate soon, which is showing as being up +2.6%

Fingers crossed that this continues.
As I always point out, daily hospitalisation figures for the whole of the UK lag behind a few more days due to some nations data lag such as Scotland. If you look at the numbers for admissions in England they go up to the 7th.

I still think I need another week or so's data before I get a proper look at whether falls are really sustained as opposed to being temporary. And often when I think I need one or two weeks data to tell it actually ends up being 3 or 4 weeks data. At least in this messy phase, where we cant make as many assumptions as we did when there were clearcut lockdown etc responses to guide our post-peak expectations. There have simply been far too many oscillators in the data and persistently high rates during this Delta wave for me to buy into confident predictions about the end of this wave until it shows up so much more clearly than it has come anywhere close to so far.

And now one of the (quite poorly) people that my fella cares for has tested positive. In fact, my fella tested him, cos he was coughing and has a fever already, and his lungs are in a right mess to begin with. Shite :(

We're lat flowing like bastards and hoping for the best. At least the fella had his booster a couple of weeks ago.

Sorry to keep posting this stuff btw but it's just all around me at the moment and my anxiety is creeping up.

Yes, absolutely do post away, sojourner.
Very sorry that you are having to deal with the horrible feeling of covid closing in around you once more. :(

Very good news that your fella had his booster though- that really should mahoosively increase the chances of him not contracting it and by extension of not passing it on to you.
Are you eligible for your booster soon?

Its a misleading headline because there is no way its the first dog in the UK to catch Covid, its just the first one they've formally detected and then gone on about.

In terms of doing something about it, this country couldnt be bothered to deal with a variety of human-human vectors of transmission so the authorities arent likely to bother with anything on the human-animal or animal-human front unless it was demonstrated to be a main vector of transmission, and even then they would probably just shrug and offer meaningless reassurances.

Back
Top Bottom