Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

This is the mega brain that was so opposed to Johnson and in love with the EU she pimped the LibDems for ages, insisting that they would be able to win Kensington (with the end result of the vile ex-Tory Sam Gymaih taking just enough votes from Labour for the constituency to go blue again) and Uxbridge.

It is possible she might be right in a stopped clock way, but someone who's so fucking thick to fall for yellow tory 'winning here' nonsense, not to mention all the other garbage her twitter feed it filled with, is someone who's claims need to be viewed with considerable suspicion.
Off topic, but Sam Gyimah resigned from a ministerial position on a point of principle because he saw the damage a no deal Brexit would do to his department (Science and Universities). I wouldn't throw around words like "vile", it takes a lot of courage to throw away a lucrative and prestigious career out of principle.

And furthermore it's debatable whether or not Labour would have won Kensington if the Lib Dems weren't there. Labour lost seats all over the country. Blame FPTP if you want.

Funny because I think people might actually want to consider the sources they reposting stuff from. Yeah how funny,

(Incidentally Kennedy has been a member of the LibDems since 2010 so supported the coalition government and austerity
Yes, she sounds awful.
I understand she’s a terrible person. My post was just about how the numbers suggested by Zoe email she was talking about match perfectly to the thing the other day about 60% of people with symptoms not getting tested (or not reporting their test results).
But yes, should’ve taken the time to find the source of the email that the austerity comedienne person was talking about cos she is not in any way relevant to anything at all.

Whatever happened to Rees Mogg's convivial fraternal spirit?
Some follow ups to that which I missed at the time:

SNP Commons leader Pete Wishart said Conservative MPs are not immune from Covid-19, as he suggested they are “so convivial that several of them are now off having caught Covid”.

He said: “The Leader of the House should be thoroughly embarrassed about his ridiculous comments from businesses questions last week when he suggested that Tory MPs are protected from Covid because they have ‘a more convivial fraternal spirit’.

“It’s so convivial that several of them are now off having caught Covid, along with the leader of the Opposition and the chief whip of the Scottish National Party.

But he noted Mr Rees-Mogg was not wearing a face masks and said “for goodness sake man, put it on, be the Leader of the House, not the libertarian of the House.”

Off topic, but Sam Gyimah resigned from a ministerial position on a point of principle because he saw the damage a no deal Brexit would do to his department (Science and Universities). I wouldn't throw around words like "vile", it takes a lot of courage to throw away a lucrative and prestigious career out of principle.

And furthermore it's debatable whether or not Labour would have won Kensington if the Lib Dems weren't there. Labour lost seats all over the country. Blame FPTP if you want.
What utter crap. The dead end of 'progressive' politics. Someone who endorsed years of attacks on the working class gets a pass, or even tributes, because he did not support Brexit. Vile is absolutely accurate to describe someone who repeatedly voted to push workers into poverty while enriching his class.

The anti-working class nature of the progressive alliance/die-hard remainiacs in full view again.

No 10 is increasingly worried that hospitalisations and deaths among double-vaccinated people could rise due to waning immunity as an estimated 4.5 million people have failed to get their booster shots despite being eligible.

Downing Street sources told the Guardian that the gap between those eligible and those jabbed was too wide, ranking it as their major concern ahead of the winter months.

Not the first time we've heard of these concerns. They should have thought about this before indulging in reckless shit this summer that encouraged 'its all over' thinking. But painting it as 'their major concern' is in some ways more bullshit if its used to discourage thinking about all the other concerns, stuff that should be done as part of a sane attempt to genuinely learn to live with covid over winter and stand the best chance of coping. They deserve to have the 'learning to live with' rhetoric explode in their face, but the consequences far beyond government are not something I want to see.

Even if they hadnt made those mistakes this stuff would still be an issue now because we wouldnt expect booster uptake to match original uptake. Part of my thinking on that is that 2nd dose numbers never reached first dose numbers. Various things can be done to add some fresh impetus to matters, but on many fronts its hard to match the impetus to behave differently that exploded onto the scene when the pandemic arrived, or the initial vaccination impetus when vaccines first became available and people got their first opportunity to get vaccinated. Because not only has the initial shock worn off, but also the data doesnt have quite the same impact when it doesnt feature straightforward and rapid doublings of cases, hospitalisations and deaths in constant fashion leading straight up to harsh measures.

Last edited:
At work, I've only had to lightly remind a couple of the team to get their second vaccination.
Most of us had to do some travelling to attend appointments ...
Apart from the anti-masker/vaxxer, who resigned in a huff, when told he needed to do one or the other [mask or jab] for the safety of the other people who work with him.

My [company] policy was to treat it as paid time [& the following day(s), but only a couple of them took more than the afternoon / morning of their jab days].

Apart from me [& my OH], there is only one person who is old enough to need a booster shot. There is a second guy that might qualify for one on medical grounds. The same policy will be applied as for the other two jabs.

I've also strongly suggested flu jags - and used the same policy of paid time to encourage them to take up the offers from their GP - although a couple went to their local pharmacy.

Part of my thinking on that is that 2nd dose numbers never reached first dose numbers.
I find this quite inexplicable; if someone understands the need to have the vaccine, why don't they get the second one? Over 4 million fewer people have had the second than have had the first... :confused:

They can't be anti-vaxxers otherwise they wouldn't have had the first jab, right?
And although there've been a small number of bad reactions, surely not so many as would discourage 4 million people?

Unless these 4 million simply can't be arsed to go to the vaccine centre/clinic/pharmacy?

Or they think that all they need is the first one...?

Total – first dose
Total – second dose

Quite honestly baffled by this...

I find this quite inexplicable; if someone understands the need to have the vaccine, why don't they get the second one? Over 4 million fewer people have had the second than have had the first... :confused:

They can't be anti-vaxxers otherwise they wouldn't have had the first jab, right?
And although there've been a small number of bad reactions, surely not so many as would discourage 4 million people?

Unless these 4 million simply can't be arsed to go to the vaccine centre/clinic/pharmacy?

Total – first dose
Total – second dose

IIRC it's 8 weeks between 1st & 2nd jabs, so some more will probably get theirs soon, also some are probably in the 12-15 age group, who are only getting one jab ATM.

Total – first dose
Total – second dose

Mix of can't be arsed, forgot, and whole load of other stuff.

I know someone that got the first (slightly reluctantly) then had a few weeks of being tired (much more related to their life at the time I think) and then used that as excuse to themselves not to have the second as they felt like they'd get that again. I think they do admit it's more complicated than that at heart though.

Total – first dose
Total – second dose

Only recently got their first jab / haven't got round to it yet / feel like the first jab will at least provide some degree of protection so getting the second one is less urgent...

The NHS system thought I'd only had one jab when I went for my booster, so that's 6000-odd supposedly single-jabbed people accounted for if they've recorded everyone else on the vaccine trial I'm on the same way.

IIRC it's 8 weeks between 1st & 2nd jabs, so some more will probably get theirs soon, also some are probably in the 12-15 age group, who are only getting one jab ATM.
Yes I would start by looking at age-based figures, eg stuff like this from the weekly surveillance reports:

Screenshot 2021-11-03 at 10.57.jpg

Also includes this which gives a picture of vaccination uptake by ethnicity in the over 50s.

Screenshot 2021-11-03 at 10.58.jpg
By the way the official UK dashboard now shows booster and 3rd doses.

Part of the reason behind there being a lag between the first two doses is the number of weeks between them ...
Also, there was such a huge push to get the first jabs done that all sorts of places were used, and some of those places were not available for the second jab.
For example, my first jab was at a hub in a nearby market town - this was a primary care centre [two or three GP practices share the building] staffed by Drs and practice nurses from the local area.
This hub had been discontinued as a mass centre and the extra staff dispersed after reaching it's first jab allocation.
So, my second jab was at my GPs, although administered by a retired Dr, specially re-activated to do vaxxing [covid & flu & so-on].

The astrazenica blood clots and deaths didnt help, but yes it wouldnt likely account for millions being put off, but could still have significant impact. Thats probably one of the reasons they've not gone for AZ vaccines as booster shots, so as not to further put people off. There are probably other reasons too though, which could include supply issues and vaccine effectiveness, especially once waning is factored in.

Other reasons for gap between number getting first doses and number getting second doses include some people dying in the meantime, and I expect some people were also put off if they felt crummy after receiving their first dose. But I'm not claiming these factors would account for really large differences.

Anyway I see they have wheeled Van-Tam out today to try to undo some of the 'its all over' thinking.

"Very high" coronavirus rates in the UK at present mean there are hard months to come, England's deputy chief medical officer has warned.
Prof Jonathan Van-Tam told the BBC it was a concern that Covid levels were "running this hot, this early in the autumn season".
He said too many people believed the pandemic was now over.
Christmas and the winter months are "potentially going to be problematic", Prof Van-Tam warned.

There's probably quite a few people who are sort of ambivalent and are neither worried about their risk of illness nor worried about the jabs, got the first dose when rates were high and thought "might as well", then by the time their 2nd one came around the perception was "it's all over now" so they just didn't bother.

Following on from the previous data I published, from the same weekly surveillance report source we could also use these pyramids to look at the differences between men and women.

Screenshot 2021-11-03 at 11.34.jpg

I suppose another factor to consider is those who caught the virus some time after their first dose but before their second. Some of those people probably figure they've ended up with protection via infection so they dont need to bother with subsequent jabs, or became defeatist.

The impetus to get vaccinated to protect others may also have diminished in some minds once it became clear that protection against infection and transmission is not close to 100%.

Last edited:
Vax take-up rates are definitely complex, with many factors affecting people's decisions to accept their jabs.

Those national scale figures will also disguise local (and not so local) regional variations.

My local area has just topped 90% again [ as that now includes the over 12s ] for the first dose ...

Total – first dose
Total – second dose

Topcat probably accounts for a few thousand of the differences

Back
Top Bottom