Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

My sister in law has just started doing supply work again after a few years off for childcare.

To me, people doing supply work at the moment in Covid-riddled schools are basically like those people they got to clear the debris off the roof at Chernobyl.

That'd be me then. Almost unbelievably, I haven't got sick yet. Which is lucky as I won't get paid if I do :(

What's the guidance on staying off work if you have symptoms?

Standard rules. I have to two rapid rests per week. But I work for an agency and get paid per day so no work, no pay. I might be able to get SSP of 35p a week or whatever but not sure about that as I exist in the hinterlands between 'employee' and 'contractor'.

E2a: as I've been at this agency less than three months I get no sick pay. Even if (when) I get sick as a direct result of working in an unsafe environment.

Just had my first direct experience of how completely useless the test and trace phone app is.
A notification flashed up briefly on my phone which i think said i'd been exposed to someone on the 23rd who later tested positive . went to open the app and there's nothing there? no idea what on earth i'm supposed to do with that information which i got to glimpse for about 1 second and can find no sign of anywhere. utterly useless what the fuck. :facepalm:

Just had my first direct experience of how completely useless the test and trace phone app is.
A notification flashed up briefly on my phone which i think said i'd been exposed to someone on the 23rd who later tested positive . went to open the app and there's nothing there? no idea what on earth i'm supposed to do with that information which i got to glimpse for about 1 second and can find no sign of anywhere. utterly useless what the fuck. :facepalm:

I had that ages ago and so did a few others. It’s nothing to worry about. It’s the google bit of the software not nhs iirc.

I had that ages ago and so did a few others. It’s nothing to worry about. It’s the google bit of the software not nhs iirc.
What does it mean am I supposed to do something? Was it a false notification?
23rd is over a week ago & it’s the day I went to (my very first) football match so I think I’m ok.

Oh no, hope it’s not too severe - are you feeling unwell?
Thanks
Started feeling weird and achey on Tuesday at an event in early afternoon/evening. As it was an event with a range of people at in a building and we were preparing food myself and partner did LFT earlier that day which were both negative.
I then had a bit of a rough night, coughing, dry throat, temperature and sweating, partner didn't feel bad until the next day.
Both been rough but not too bad considering! Thanks to being double jabbed
Idiot mate not jabbed has been in bed for 12 days

This NHS test and trace ‘failed its main objective’, says spending watchdog

Says that more than 60% of people who experienced covid symptoms never got tested.
That is a huge number.
Just an addendum to that figure, I haven't got the ZOE link but i saw this the other day, which matches the idea that we are twice as infected as the reported figures suggest .

eta i totally get why a lot of people would just not get tested, or wouldn't report their LF result even if they knew they had the covid.

Just an addendum to that figure, I haven't got the ZOE link but i saw this the other day, which matches the idea that we are twice as infected as the reported figures suggest .

eta i totally get why a lot of people would just not get tested, or wouldn't report their LF result even if they knew they had the covid.

This is the mega brain that was so opposed to Johnson and in love with the EU she pimped the LibDems for ages, insisting that they would be able to win Kensington (with the end result of the vile ex-Tory Sam Gymaih taking just enough votes from Labour for the constituency to go blue again) and Uxbridge.

It is possible she might be right in a stopped clock way, but someone who's so fucking thick to fall for yellow tory 'winning here' nonsense, not to mention all the other garbage her twitter feed it filled with, is someone who's claims need to be viewed with considerable suspicion.

Last edited:
This is the mega brain that was so opposed to Johnson and in love with the EU she pimped the LibDems for ages, insisting that they would be able to win Kensington (with the end result of the vile ex-Tory Sam Gymaih taking just enough votes from Labour for the constituency to go blue again) and Uxbridge.

It is possible she might be right in a stopped clock way, but someone who's so fucking thick to fall for yellow tory 'winning here' nonsense, not to mention all the other garbage her twitter feed it filled with, is someone who's claims need to be viewed with considerable suspicion.
Err. Ok.
I have no idea who she is tbh, I only saw it cos of someone I do ‘follow’ replying. You are funny. Maybe she’s lying about the content of the Zoe email but I don’t think so .

I have no idea who she is tbh,
She’s of those comedian-actors about whom you wonder how they can possibly keep going, given that they only get an acting job once in a blue moon, they pretty much never get a gig on the panel show circuit, and if they tour, they apparently do so completely invisibly.

She actually tried to stand for the Lib Dems in the last election, to run against Michael Gove (which is an adjacent ward to mine). She couldn’t even win the Lib Dem nomination, though, let alone the seat.

Well she sounds like a thoroughly ridiculous person.
It’s true tho that the zoe website (just had a quick look) is estimating total daily cases as well over double the official (known tested & reported positive) cases. Which makes sense & shouldn’t be a surprise.

She's talking nonsense is she not? The Zoe estimate (about 1.2 million) is about the same as the infection survey estimate.

I assumed she's mixing it up with reported cases or something but that doesn't seem to fit the numbers.

If there's a significant difference, it's that the Zoe estimate doesn't seem to show any signs of a peak and decline yet.

Screenshot 2021-11-01 at 09.22.44.jpg

Is it the difference between the rate of new cases and the actual amount of present cases not yet recovered?, the former could reduce but not by enough to stop the latter increasing still

All that not counting it the second time you catch it malarky? That has to skew the figures downwards from where the actual case numbers are.

Wonder how many people have caught it 3 times or more?

Well cases that were reinfections are excluded from the headline daily numbers, but they might be present in other forms of surveillance.

Also as of early October they'd only detected 57,195 possible reinfections in total, so a small number compared to the number of first infections detected via the testing system. ( https://assets.publishing.service.g...029418/Weekly_Flu_and_COVID-19_report_w43.pdf ) Now of course the testing system is only picking up a fraction of actual cases, so take all these figures with a large pinch of salt, but there is nothing there to indicate that the picture is being massively distorted because of a lack of counting reinfections.

Last edited:
Is it the difference between the rate of new cases and the actual amount of present cases not yet recovered?, the former could reduce but not by enough to stop the latter increasing still
There is a bit of a peak showing in their daily new cases graph but its still a bit early to make claims about what happens next.

Screenshot 2021-11-01 at 14.35.jpg

She's talking nonsense is she not? The Zoe estimate (about 1.2 million) is about the same as the infection survey estimate.

I assumed she's mixing it up with reported cases or something but that doesn't seem to fit the numbers.

If there's a significant difference, it's that the Zoe estimate doesn't seem to show any signs of a peak and decline yet.

View attachment 295091
Pandemic's going well then.

Last edited:
Err. Ok.
I have no idea who she is tbh, I only saw it cos of someone I do ‘follow’ replying. You are funny. Maybe she’s lying about the content of the Zoe email but I don’t think so .
Funny because I think people might actually want to consider the sources they reposting stuff from. Yeah how funny,

(Incidentally Kennedy has been a member of the LibDems since 2010 so supported the coalition government and austerity

It's been updated now.
yup, at just about the same time I posted on here !
the first 'delay' warming said 5pm, that was changed to 6pm and it eventually appeared at 18:20.

the beeb interpretation page update is still awol at 20:10, though.
[possibly because the data delay today was related to the death totals].

During the past few weeks there have several days with "data issues"

Predictable.

A parliamentary spokesperson said that "recent increases in Covid across the country… are also being reflected in Parliament".

In a statement, a parliamentary spokesperson said their priority was "to ensure that those on the estate are safe".

"The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) has determined that the risk of transmission on the Parliamentary Estate is now greater.

"As a consequence, some further action is being taken to ensure that case numbers do not continue to rise."

The new measures include cancellation of non-parliamentary business activity such as tours and banqueting activity - in addition to asking MPs and peers to wear face coverings.

People in Parliament will also be asked to maintain social distancing - particularly in committees where the risk of transmission is believed to be greater.

Back
Top Bottom