Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Construction workers fighting to defend T & Cs across UK

Worked on a site quite recentely in Banbur,y Oxfordshire where two young guys from Lithuania were working for £7.00 p.h(plus accommodation). They were apparentely able to do this on the basis that they bwere working with someone who had a ticket, fortunately they were quite sussed(as far as the work was concerned), but you can see the dangers that this could and is almost inevitable to have. De-skilling in construction and civil engineering along with casualisation is pushing work to minimum wage in many cases.

This backtracking by Balfours - after 5 months is a first step to defeating further casualisation. Its an important step.
Chatting to Lithuanians - dry walling lads - funnily enough two weeks ago at a site demo outside a Balfours site - 4 took union cards and planned to join - raise their sights. This small but important victory shows lads like this that the big firms can be beaten if you stick together - a basic lesson in solidarity.

DETAILS CHANGED: Unite north west demos sat 18th feb meet at salford office 9.30am 4 demo outside morrisons in ordsal at 10am. Merseyside is 10am new brighton morrisons. N G Bailey have maintenance contract with this store lets hit them where it hurts sparks no 2 deskilling please attend n pass on

Just had a text to say that NG Bailey have pulled out of BESNA, and that Unite have it in writing. Morrisons demos have been called off.

Surely this is the end, 5 companies left now but Balfours and NG were the biggest I think, and the others must be ready to fold as well.

We can fight and we can win!

:)

I served my time with baileys and not surprised in the least that they supported this.

Unite are involved, i thought the strikes were largely wildcat or am i wrong on that score?

I served my time with baileys and not surprised in the least that they supported this.

Unite are involved, i thought the strikes were largely wildcat or am i wrong on that score?
No official strikes, ballots for strikes at BB one (and the court victory) won it.

I hope this does change the union. Unite (former aeu /eetpu) are a shower of scabbing shite. They never walk out the gate on the underground. They scabbed at wapping too. Reprehensible.

Was just discussing this with colleagues this week. Baileys are on site too so a bit of gloating may be in order. :D

No official strikes, ballots for strikes at BB one (and the court victory) won it.

Exactly - the unite leadership have been dragged kicking and screaming into this - but... they have made the final push and that means r and f can put further presure on both the union leadership and the firms.

Ultimately, of course, the rank and file won this (I'm sure ba will agree) - now combine a serious recruitment drive on sites - "join the organisation that stopped you loosing 35%" - with action by the members from the bottom to transform and make the union tops accountable for their actions - r and f representation at all levels. its still a war to be fought. But this battle is made a damn sight easier because they have won a significent victory.

See this for what it is - its private sector workers in one of the hardest places to organise - divided, on insecure short term contracts, fighting uncompromising enemies - smashing a serious attack that would have continued across the industry. To quote a spark: "not so smug now are you you cunts"

Call me a pessimist but i wouldnt be surprised if theyve just put this on hold for the time being. Sparkies were threatening to picket the tube as they have contractors on site in many locations and the last thing the powers that be want is industrial strife affecting the olympics when theres other countries to impress. After the final runners have packed their trainers away and fucked off industrial relations are going to reach a record low and the gloves will be off. Maybe im paranoid but i feel it in the air. All we hear from management nowadays is 'we just need to get the olympics out of the way....'

Create your own ending to the sentence.

Protests continue as well - in London - on ongoing issues such as blacklisting.
Next up Shard 6.45 next wednesday

I know of other bollocks they're doing as well. Firms (or at least I know NG Bailey are) are changing the branches of people who work away from home to a branch closer to the job to get away with paying them less expenses, as they're paid the distance from the office to the site, not from home to the site.

Citizen66 said:
I know of other bollocks they're doing as well. Firms (or at least I know NG Bailey are) are changing the branches of people who work away from home to a branch closer to the job to get away with paying them less expenses.

Should pass the Info on to nssn, solidarity etc if you haven't already.

Should pass the Info on to nssn, solidarity etc if you haven't already.

Only found this out this week from talking to some contractors at work. I obviously don't want to be too specific in case it lands anyone in the shit. How do I go about contacting them? Or could you pass the info on?

Citizen66 said:
Only found this out this week from talking to some contractors at work. I obviously don't want to be too specific in case it lands anyone in the shit. How do I go about contacting them? Or could you pass the info on?

will pm you when I'm off this train mate.

protest in Cardiff this Friday 24 at 7am royal infirmary which is on Newport rd
1. EMERGENCY DEMONSTRATION against threats to sack construction workers.

The most urgent issue is the demo called by Rank and File UNITE members THIS FRIDAY. Construction workers defeated some of biggest companies in the industry recently when bosses tried to cut their pay by up to 30%, worsen conditions and training opportunities with a new BESNA agreement they were trying to force on the workers. It was a fantastic victory but now, Crown House, one of the construction giants, is trying to introduce "BESNA 2" by the back door, and is threatening to sack anyone who refuses to accept the cuts and sign a new contract.
R&F workers have asked for support at their demonstration at Cardiff Royal Infirmary, which has a refurbishment contract with Crown House, at 7am, this Friday 24th August. A second victory for the sparks would have a knock-on effect, boosting the confidence of everyone fighting the cuts so I urge everyone to attend.

http://www.facebook.com/events/375181272552977/declines/?ref=notif&notif_t=group_activity

Back
Top Bottom