Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cobra Kai. The karate kid is back!

Sadly, watching this and the way the characters have been written makes you realise just how utterly shit Star Wars is becoming.

If you register to the pay version of youtube you get the first 30 days free, don't you?

Then you can cancel before having to pay, same with most online services.

Although you might want to save that till there's a few things you want to see.

If you register to the pay version of youtube you get the first 30 days free, don't you?

Then you can cancel before having to pay, same with most online services.

Although you might want to save that till there's a few things you want to see.

I think thats for yanks and those of you with your fancy virtual proxy networks or whatever. Youtube Red isn't out in the uk. Shame, as I'd certainly consider subscribing - unlimited play music streaming and getting rid of the ads on youtube would probably justify the cash. If there's more great content like this coming, it would be a no brainer. £2 an episode, though, can fuck right off...

I think thats for yanks and those of you with your fancy virtual proxy networks or whatever. Youtube Red isn't out in the uk. Shame, as I'd certainly consider subscribing - unlimited play music streaming and getting rid of the ads on youtube would probably justify the cash. If there's more great content like this coming, it would be a no brainer. £2 an episode, though, can fuck right off...
Gotchya.

Although you don't get ads if you use adblock plus.

But gotchya.

I know lots has been said on how Ralph Macchio doesn't age... But I hadn't quite realised that he's actually 4 years older than Zabka. So he was about 23 when Karate kid came out, and zabka was 19.

I know lots has been said on how Ralph Macchio doesn't age... But I hadn't quite realised that he's actually 4 years older than Zabka. So he was about 23 when Karate kid came out, and zabka was 19.
For my money, Zabka's looking better on it than Macchio. I don't know if it's deliberately being done in the script, but I'm finding his character much more likeable than Macchio's, too :).

For my money, Zabka's looking better on it than Macchio. I don't know if it's deliberately being done in the script, but I'm finding his character much more likeable than Macchio's, too :).

Yeah, Johnny is a flawed but loveable rogue. Daniel is a smug car salesman prick.

Also...

Johnny's son/Daniels protege was also a dick, and I was glad he got beat in the tournament. Not likeable at all, compared to the guy who won (who managed "likeable" so well, I was surprised at how well he managed "total dick" by the end).

Yeah, Johnny is a flawed but loveable rogue. Daniel is a smug car salesman prick.

Also...

Johnny's son/Daniels protege was also a dick, and I was glad he got beat in the tournament. Not likeable at all, compared to the guy who won (who managed "likeable" so well, I was surprised at how well he managed "total dick" by the end).
I'm half way through Episode 3 at the moment, but I'm quietly pleased to read your spoilered text :D

so the consensus is that its good?

Well worth your time. The clash between 80s jock and mellenial pc attitudes is played to comedic perfection. It's this humour that brings it up a notch, imo. But the mix of solid story telling, high production values and nostalgia would already have made it something to recommend.

Well worth your time. The clash between 80s jock and mellenial pc attitudes is played to comedic perfection. It's this humour that brings it up a notch, imo. But the mix of solid story telling, high production values and nostalgia would already have made it something to recommend.
I completely agree on the humour. There are some fairly dire tropes (the boozy person driving the car while swigging out of a bottle in a paper bag, the nerdy public health official, the sheaf of "FINAL DEMAND" bills, etc.), but the gentle humour makes that fairly forgivable. The used car people are twats, the jock teenagers are as repellent as only US sitcom stereotypes can make them, and LaRusso's karate adverts are jarring, but the whole thing does seem to be done with just a bit of a nod and a wink.

I completely agree on the humour. There are some fairly dire tropes (the boozy person driving the car while swigging out of a bottle in a paper bag, the nerdy public health official, the sheaf of "FINAL DEMAND" bills, etc.), but the gentle humour makes that fairly forgivable. The used car people are twats, the jock teenagers are as repellent as only US sitcom stereotypes can make them, and LaRusso's karate adverts are jarring, but the whole thing does seem to be done with just a bit of a nod and a wink.
Great summary. I watched the entire thing over two nights - loved it, really great nods to the original film (especially the "Miyagi healing hands" bit), cliche characters were knowing enough to get away with (the girl clique even looked quite a bit like the Mean Girls cast), and the writing cleverly handled the "who are the real good guys/bad guys" balancing act.

Looking forward to Season 2. :)

I'm stuck on Episode 5 - been using Neptune Rising on KODI to watch em.
Can anyone suggest any other streams?

Am enjoying this. It's light enough to watch alongside Westworld.

Just finished season one and been back to watch the Karate Kid.

What a weird film. Daniel doesn't actually fight against an opponent until the tournament and learns absolutely nothing bar wax on, wax off, paint the fence, paint the house, scrub the deck . . . and a punch.
Also Johnny seems really very supportive of Daniel at the end and congratulates him handing him the trophy with big smiles. The girlfriend rivalry didn't seem like much of a big deal either.
I thought it ended in the parking lot with the 'honk honk', but I guess that must be the start of the Karate Kid 2.

Just finished season one and been back to watch the Karate Kid.

What a weird film. Daniel doesn't actually fight against an opponent until the tournament and learns absolutely nothing bar wax on, wax off, paint the fence, paint the house, scrub the deck . . . and a punch.
Also Johnny seems really very supportive of Daniel at the end and congratulates him handing him the trophy with big smiles. The girlfriend rivalry didn't seem like much of a big deal either.
I thought it ended in the parking lot with the 'honk honk', but I guess that must be the start of the Karate Kid 2.

Wait till you rewatch Karate Kid 2, the film barely makes any sense. Still entertaining though.

Loved Cobra Kai, best series I've seen in a long time.

Wait till you rewatch Karate Kid 2, the film barely makes any sense. Still entertaining though.

Loved Cobra Kai, best series I've seen in a long time.
Yeah, Cobra Kai is another level. It's how I remember shit 80s films were, but they weren't like that, they were shit.
It's not pretending to be anything, and you can see what's coming around every corner, but it's just fab entertainment in lovely little bitesize bits. Can't see it lasting beyond the third series though, just doesn't have those kind of legs.

Renewed for Season 4

I've been watching S1, and its quite funny and cheesy, if totally painting by numbers at times.

4!! Not sure what they can do with that. I have only watched season one, but I can't see how it can even evolve beyond 2.

4!! Not sure what they can do with that. I have only watched season one, but I can't see how it can even evolve beyond 2.

I reckon they could spin out the whole Miguel recovery story over a season with him coming back right at the end. Combine with a Robbie downward spiral. Then 4 is the revenge/recovery tale.

Well, we’ve binged the entire S3 in one sitting. Fucking great. Not going to go into comparisons with the first two, but it was certainly as good as them for me, which is all that counts.

Roll on S4.

Well, we’ve binged the entire S3 in one sitting. Fucking great. Not going to go into comparisons with the first two, but it was certainly as good as them for me, which is all that counts.

Roll on S4.

Watching it now.
👍😁

There's a Karate Kid films triple bill on Freeview Sony Movies channel on Sunday, 3 January 2020, starting at 2pm.

I'm planning to watch them before starting on Cobra Kai. I know it's not necessary, but think I might do so anyway.

Just past the halfway mark on the 1st series. It's entertaining enough, but there are things I can only sort of put my finger on which make me think it has pretensions to being Breaking Bad or something. :confused:

Just past the halfway mark on the 1st series. It's entertaining enough, but there are things I can only sort of put my finger on which make me think it has pretensions to being Breaking Bad or something. :confused:
Not at all mate. It’s not particularly more vicious or violent than the Karate Kid films it’s a sequel of. The plot is more multilayered is all.

Not at all mate. It’s not particularly more vicious or violent than the Karate Kid films it’s a sequel of. The plot is more multilayered is all.

It's nothing to do with the violence, more some of the spaces in which it is set, the way it looks, also the pre-credity bit. Seems to me the influence is there. I like it but feel it could have been amazing if Vince Gilligan was involved in it - strip it back, slow it down, take out some of the convenient plotting/mirroring, make it a bit more grown up still.

Watched to the end of S1. Not sure if I'll bother with more. The stuff with the adults is reasonably interesting; I like the original two actors. The stuff with the kids, not so much. I think they could have made something better of it.

Back
Top Bottom