Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Clothes you like but just don't work on you

Cloo

Approved by toads
For me it's wrap dresses and shirt dresses... I love the look of both, but unfortunately if you have a small bust and a big waist, they're never gonna work, they'll either fit the boobs and cling/not do up over your stomach, or go over your stomach and be hopelessly baggy around the boobs. Plus even if you found a shirt dress that fitted, the waist tie would draw attention to the totally the wrong bit. Oh well.

Is there anything you like that just doesn't work on your body shape, or just not work on you?

Dungarees/dresses with a dungaree bib.
Even if they fit they make my boobs look comically massive and out of proportion :(

Empire line. If you have boobs and a bum it's just not happening. Maybe it's the anti-wrap dress? Not that it's fashionable anymore anyway.

Also I cannot wear peg leg trousers. Couldn't wear them in the 1980s, definitely not about to start now. The question 'does my bum look big in this?' has never been quite so redundant. It does. :(

Shift dresses...they look like a big bag on me.
Shorts ....I am knock kneed. I can just about get away with an over the knee skirt once it's A line and I've opaque tights and long boots on.
Bomber jackets...making big boobs look even bigger. I actually look like I've a bomb on me...lol..:D
All over patterns....awful on me.
Frilly dresses....awful on me.
Blouses....never accommodate a big bust and narrow shoulders. :mad:

Last edited:
Shirt dresses and shirts in general. They just never do up over my boobs. It's depressing because when the miracle happens and I do find one that fits, they really suit me.

Ooh first thing that springs to mind is smock dresses/tops and just any clothes item that is cut just under the boob. I look massive in them.

I’m also not keen on t-shirts as I feel choked in them.

I've recently been getting into playsuits and jumpsuits after years of feeling like a telly tubby in them. But this most recent one hmm dunno. There's something not quite right. I tried it on a second time today and felt more comfortable in it. I'm going to persevere.

I prob wear a lot of things according to fashion don't work on me but fuck that tbh. I wore a cropped tshirt and high waisted skinny jeans the other day. I know I don't have the 'right' body shape for that but I liked the way it looked and felt like a bad ass sailor :thumbs: (the top was stripey :D )

Empire line.
Yeah, I can't do gathered under boobs since having kids as I really do look pregnant in it and get people asking if I'm expecting another one. I'm not offended when people ask, I just laugh it off and say 'Nope, it's just this dress isn't very flattering!', as I know it can easily look that way with my stomach.

Gathered or ruffled sleeve ends - can never feel comfortable in them, fiddle with them endlessly.
High-necked shirts (got a short neck so they tickle the underside of my chin and are insanely distracting)
Hot pants / short shorts (love them, but age & cellulite mean I'm not going to inflict the sight of me wearing them onto the public)

Hats. There's never been one invented yet that suits me or doesn't make me feel daft.

Last edited:
Gathered or ruffled sleeve ends - can never feel comfortable in them, fiddle with them endlessly.
High-necked shirts (got a short neck so they tickle the underside of my chin and are insanely distracting)
Hot pants / short shorts (love them, but age & cellulite mean I'm not going to inflict the sight of me wearing them onto the public)

I love wearing my short shorts. I'm a size 14-18 and have cellulite. If it's hot, I'm wearing shorts. As long as I feel good, fuck what anyone thinks :thumbs:

Can't wear skinny jeans - big legs won't fit into them. Same goes for anything but boot cut, really.
Open-necked stuff - assorted scarring and shrapnel mars the look somewhat.
Ties - gah! get off my neck ya bastard!!
Polo necks - same reason, plus I either look like a mime artist or Bond villain in them.

Gathered or ruffled sleeve ends
Argh yes.

I also don't wear skinny jeans but that's because they're fucking uncomfortable. I like a tapered leg, with room for chunky thigh tops <3

I aspire to what B said though^ and actually the things I don't wear I also don't like (on me as an aesthetic) but that's probably a bit chicken/egg.

High necked dresses and tops. No. Just no.
Not keen on jumpsuits because they make me look like a barrel.
Don't like things that tuck in or have belts because I'm short bodied and it makes me look incredibly matronly

I'll wear most anything else. And heres another with who ain't small, has cellulite and wears shorts. In fact I'm wearing them right now.

I don't believe this. What's the difference between your head & face and the head & face of someone who looks good in hats?

I do believe it. Sweetheart looks fairly ridiculous in nearly all hats - the shape and size of his head, along with positions and shapes of facial features, and finally, hair(ahem)'style'...he looks almost acceptable in a flat cap but will obviously never consider one for a nanosecond...so attitude definitely counts as a solid non-hattable position too. I, on the other hand, love hats and look fabulous in all of them...although none are beanies or bobble hats.

I now own 5 jumpsuits and love them. Apart from having to sit on a public loo just in a bra problem.

I love skinny jeans but they don't flatter me at all. I am stumpy of leg and the waist is always huge but fits in the thigh.
I can never find trousers in the correct length for my size.

Back
Top Bottom