Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

chilean miners - big up, nuff respect..

I hope they're not getting complacent and rushing things as things really seem to be speeding up, although of course, they were probably just being overly-cautious to begin with

I hope they're not getting complacent and rushing things as things really seem to be speeding up, although of course, they were probably just being overly-cautious to begin with

Yes, this. I'm sure they know what they're doing far better than we think what they should be doing, but still ... there's a bit of you that wants to phone them and tell them not to be too hasty in case something breaks.

Consecutive posts don't require much of an attention span, tbh. It's like

JC2: It's like that
JC2: It's not like that at all

I guess it's the risk you take when end up having a conversation with yourself which consists entirely of you trying to score points off others, regardless of logic, truth, or honesty.

That must be it.

I guess it is, yes. We do already know about it, but it is a shock to see it for real. Americans on TV tend to be much more European sized on the whole, so we don't have a concept of just how common it is.

However, we do not run around telling them to eat less and take more exercise. That we would be very rude. :eek:

No, but you take huge pleasure in making fun of them behind their backs, so to speak.

Yes, this. I'm sure they know what they're doing far better than we think what they should be doing, but still ... there's a bit of you that wants to phone them and tell them not to be too hasty in case something breaks.

Maybe the capsule's making better progress after scraping off bits of rock that may have been impeding its smooth descent/ascent?

Ahem. They delayed this drama purely to hit primetime tv as far as I read? There was no other reason for the delay. Even the American guy who dug the hole was long gone by the time they got around to rescuing these guys. Laughable.

Ahem. They delayed this drama purely to hit primetime tv as far as I read? There was no other reason for the delay. Even the American guy who dug the hole was long gone by the time they got around to rescuing these guys. Laughable.

Primetime TV where?

<cough>Jamie Oliver</cough>

He's doing a TV programme about food, a repeat of one he did in the UK. It's hardly the same as British tourists turning up and doing it, or indeed Canadian tourists turning up here and telling us not to use the word cunt.

Pfft. I for one, as cynical and grouchy and evil as I am (I say cunt all the time johnny, you'd really hate me irl), am refraining from being a cynical misery with this story for the time being and joining the majority of other people in just being happy for the miners and their families.

Have to admit, every time I see them hugging their relatives I well up :oops: the montages are the worst :oops:

Cunt, twat, prick, cock, they are all used interchangeably and in normal language are aimed equally at men as women.

cunt is a horrible word, but i still use it loads. in fact, i generally save it for lovingly insulting my closest friends rather than for rudeness or agression. i can understand why it surprises tourists / fools how prevalent the use of the word 'cunt' is in the uk, but that's just the way it is. it's only a word.

(btw my mum once (justifiably, just) called me a cunt - and at that moment really meant it :( ) .... it was one of the most horrible experiences of my life!!)

back on topic... the miners in chile... (i'll have to have a little think about when it'll be appropriate to call them 'cunts'!)

rolling news does get extremely tedious, but it's still awesome to see. not many to go now... good work all round.

Right, it's been mentioned three times (and I heard the 1st and 3rd time) that there are TWO rescuers down there, despite me thinking there's three.

and yet...

So, that's 26 miners out, seven still below and five rescuers in there along with them. But the pace is picking up - it took under 10 minutes for the capsule to bring out Claudio Acuna.

That's even worse. You knew what he was capable of and yet you let him loose on us.

He got a rather good reception here. It changed school meals more or less nationwide, and IIRC schools reported that the kids' behaviour got better as a result.

It's the same format, but an entirely different challenge in the US. In the UK version some parents had to be banned from feeding the kids chips (fries) through the railings, but we don't have the same resistance to information about what is healthy. Possibly because the NHS means we get money spent on preventative medicine. We don't seem to mistrust our government in the same way as you do. The NHS can give us information and we're OK with it, but we don't believe a word that comes out of a politician's mouth. You guys seem to mistrust any attempt to advise about lifestyle, but swallow the patriotic propaganda quite easily.

Huge generalisation, I know. But I was surprised at how badly Oliver was received there. He's a smug little twat, but that's true on both sides of the atlantic.The receptions were massively different.

Huge generalisation, I know. But I was surprised at how badly Oliver was received there. He's a smug little twat, but that's true on both sides of the atlantic.The receptions were massively different.

Like all generalizations, it's pretty much bullsh*t. Keep in mind that this is reality television. I saw one of these shows being filmed and absolutely nothing happened that wasn't planned.

bore off will you. let's talk about the miners.
the live subtitles of bbc news claims that the miners ate some Russians during the first 13 days of their entrapment

Pfft. I for one, as cynical and grouchy and evil as I am (I say cunt all the time johnny, you'd really hate me irl), am refraining from being a cynical misery with this story for the time being and joining the majority of other people in just being happy for the miners and their families.

I'm happy too. The only difference is, I'd rather pound nails into my eyes than spend 24 hours watching it in real time.

I can't even make it through a golf game on tv, never mind something like this.

I'm happy too. The only difference is, I'd rather pound nails into my eyes than spend 24 hours watching it in real time.

I can't even make it through a golf game on tv, never mind something like this.

yeah, but how many family reunions do you get in a game of golf?

Back
Top Bottom