Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Change UK: Chuka Umunna resigns from Labour party and launches Independent Group

Which of the topics of Environmental Risks, Social policies or corporate governance is Chukka claiming to be an expert in, exactly? What in his career as a failed politician is supposedly giving him this experience?

The access to other, equally inept but still serving politicians who are able to shape policy in JP Morgan's favour, those ESG topics.

The access to other, equally inept but still serving politicians who are able to shape policy in JP Morgan's favour, those ESG topics.
I’m as cynical as the next man but the reason that investors are interested in ESG policies is simply because companies with strong ESG tend to do better in the long run. It’s not about some kind of legal requirement, it’s just a useful tool for sifting good prospects from bad. What would be the point in whitewashing that if you are the fund manager doing the investing? You want somebody that knows good ESG when they see it, not somebody who knows people that will fake the metrics for you.

I’m as cynical as the next man but the reason that investors are interested in ESG policies is simply because companies with strong ESG tend to do better in the long run. It’s not about some kind of legal requirement, it’s just a useful tool for sifting good prospects from bad. What would be the point in whitewashing that if you are the fund manager doing the investing? You want somebody that knows good ESG when they see it, not somebody who knows people that will fake the metrics for you.

I'm guessing in his case ESG is just a convenient title, JP will not be expecting ole Chucks to roll up at 9 each morning and put in a solid 8 hours ESG-ing, it'll be a non-meeting once a month and a large slab of dough to buy access to Westminster. I believe that in Johnny Forrin's lands it is called corruption.

Last edited:
That ChangeUK came and went like a cheap firework still makes me shake my head in disbelief. Not that I supported them, just the insane narrative of it all, from the clumsy launch through "unfortunate" language to the slow collapse like a soufflé in a cupboard: it's not a Netflix documentary in the making, it's perhaps a one-off BBC Four drama with passable lookalike actors.

I do wonder about the sliding doors moment in UK political history, mind. There are clearly strains within the PLP after December 2019 which appear to be pushing against each other at the same level of intensity as they were when CUK launched. The disaster of them really must have stopped MPs from wanting to jump ship or split or defect, so what to do? The distance between the SDP defecting from the Labour Party of Michael Foot and ChUK from the Labour Party of Jeremy Corbyn was nigh-on 40 years. It might, possibly, be less than that next time...but there's no guarantee of there being a next time.

Tinge UK were libdems
Starmerites are libdems
Some Tories are libdems
Plus there's the real libdems

If only they'd all join their correct party.
Without proportional representation they never will

Tinge UK were libdems
Starmerites are libdems
Some Tories are libdems
Plus there's the real libdems

If only they'd all join their correct party.
Without proportional representation they never will

That's the thing, too. The ghost of the SDP/Liberal Alliance gaining 25% of the vote and almost no seats must be in the minds. FPTP across 650 constituencies does not reflect how people actually vote. PR does, broadly speaking. But the Commons is more likely to vote for replacing the door-knobs in Portcullis House than they would ever introduce voting reform.

As long as FPTP is used, and as long as ChUK's year of Mr Bean-like farce rings loudly in the memory, there will be no defections.

It was hilarious. I really enjoyed the whole thing. The ending was fab too. Someone else should do another one like it. I could do with a laugh.

It's never the same when it's little micro-parties and grouplets on the fringes. It has to be high profile. We've been spoiled, maybe, because anything less than long-standing MPs falling onto their faces in public won't impress.

It's never the same when it's little micro-parties and grouplets on the fringes. It has to be high profile. We've been spoiled, maybe, because anything less than long-standing MPs falling onto their faces in public won't impress.
True. But there’s not exactly a short supply of monster egos in Westminster who think they’ve got the clout just from sheer force of personality to break the mould of politics. There’s probably someone in one of the main parties right now having their engorged ego stroked by fawning admirers.

True. But there’s not exactly a short supply of monster egos in Westminster who think they’ve got the clout just from sheer force of personality to break the mould of politics. There’s probably someone in one of the main parties right now having their engorged ego stroked by fawning admirers.
"You too could be the next Mike Gapes!"

"You too could be the next Mike Gapes!"
Speaking of which, I can't believe I'm the first person to discuss this massive news story:

Times article is paywalled, here's a bit of non-paywalled churn from the Indy:
Writing in The Times, Mike Gapes, who defected from the Labour Party to join Change UK and promptly lost his seat in the 2019 general election, said the book is entitled “Change - The Independent Group”, showing that there were indeed combinations of the words ‘change’, ‘group’ and ‘independent’ that were yet to be explored by the politicians.

He said the book is “a frank account” of “the dramatic events of February 2019”. (Dramatic events being the launch of Change UK).

He said: “We describe how the initial euphoria and high hopes were dashed as we hit the reality of trying to create a new political party.

“This is the inside story of highs and lows, and the process by which The Independent Group became Change UK, and then split in two”.

Speaking of which, I can't believe I'm the first person to discuss this massive news story:

Times article is paywalled, here's a bit of non-paywalled churn from the Indy:

From The Times article:

There are insights into the difficult dilemma faced by mainstream politicians in our tribal party system when the party to which you have dedicated your life has been captured by extremists.

:facepalm: :D

Back
Top Bottom