Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Change UK: Chuka Umunna resigns from Labour party and launches Independent Group

Look forwards to seeing Anna Soubry vomiting gently into her gin glass repeating the trajectory of the past two years to another piss stained skeleton of failed show business as they clutch together at fading memories of distant straws. "I was almost somebody who almost changed history once you know."

These people are incapable of learning political lessons. Just carry on regardless (up the khyber)

Dickheads
It's so bad it almost reads like a spoof...

The seven MPs arrived – it had been eight (I was told he changed his mind because he didn’t want to upset his mum).

I’d only stepped out for a sandwich but I returned to faces of “oh god”. A Daily Politics discussion had turned to racism and Angela had referred to people with a “funny tinge”.

Where is Chukka these days it's like he fell off the edge of the world
He's gone back to basics, looked deep into his soul and decided to rebuild himself afresh - starting from the ground floor he's set up his own humble little, one-man, craft-oriented... No wait, scratch that, he's accepted a place on the board of software company Advanced, is a Forbes columnist, and has just landed a well-remunerated greenwashing executive position at notorious shit-shiners Edelman.

He's gone back to basics, looked deep into his soul and decided to rebuild himself afresh - starting from the ground floor he's set up his own humble little, one-man, craft-oriented... No wait, scratch that, he's accepted a place on the board of software company Advanced, is a Forbes columnist, and has just landed a well-remunerated greenwashing executive position at notorious shit-shiners Edelman.
I've never heard of them but their Wikipedia article paints them as iffy as he is, I suppose he will fit right in.

I think Luciana Berger has gone to work at the same place.

(Quite why I see her tweets is entirely beyond me...)

I think Luciana Berger has gone to work at the same place.

(Quite why I see her tweets is entirely beyond me...)
I'd love to see the reaction of those labour right wingers and journos who lamented the loss of these scumbags. Well, actually, they'd just shrug their shoulders, they'd think taking money from Edelman is the natural progression from being booted out of the commons. A simple matter of entitlement.

These people are filth at any time, but it somehow seems even worse amid Covid. Cunts.

There was a one year on, whither article earlier on in 2020:

FFS :D

Even at the time of the Nando’s summit, Soubry was adamant in her faith that she was joining a new party led by Umunna. She still believes that things might have been different if the former Streatham MP had taken on the responsibility as promised. “He had the chance on more than one occasion and he chose not to do it,” she says. She never had an explanation

I've never heard of them but their Wikipedia article paints them as iffy as he is, I suppose he will fit right in.

Iffy?

Working Families for Wal-Mart front group[edit]
In the 2000s, Edelman created a front group called the Working Families for Wal-Mart, which said it was a grassroots organization, but was actually funded by Wal-Mart. It paid two bloggers to travel the country interviewing Wal-Mart employees, one of whom was a senior Edelman employee's sister. According to The New Yorker, "everyone she talked to was delighted with Wal-Mart". In 2006, BusinessWeek reported that the public relations effort, which was positioned as a grassroots blog, was actually paid for by Wal-Mart. The New Yorker called it a "blatant example of astroturfing".[35]

E.ON Kingsnorth coal power station[edit]
In 2008 Edelman's work with E.ON, which planned to build a coal power station at Kingsnorth attracted protests at Edelman's UK headquarters.[36] In 2009, to coincide with the weeklong "Climate Camp" range of protests, a group of naked protestors occupied Edelman's reception.[37]

Keystone XL pipeline and climate change deniers[edit]
Edelman was commissioned by TransCanada Corporation to run campaigns supporting the Keystone XL pipeline, a proposed pipeline to carry tar sands oil from Canada to refineries on the Gulf coast of Texas.[38] Edelman also developed a strategy for the proposed Energy East pipeline intended to carry tar sands oil through Québec, en route to a deep water harbor at Cacouna, Quebec for export abroad in supertankers and to refineries in New Brunswick. This resulted in a major controversy when documents leaked to Greenpeace revealed that Edelman had made some unethical proposals to sway public opinion in favor of its client. TransCanada distanced itself from those proposals as soon as the "dirty tricks" were published in the press.[39][40][41][42][43] In 2015, the firm announced that it would cease work for coal producers and climate change deniers.[44]

News Corporation phone hacking scandal[edit]
Edelman provided crisis communications to News Corporation during the phone hacking scandal.[45][46] Other clients have included Vidal Sassoon, Red Cross, Cantor Fitzgerald,[13] Royal Dutch Shell,[47] The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,[48] Starbucks,[45] and the government of Saudi Arabia.[49] It has used front groups to help the American Petroleum Institute reduce the perceived environmental damage caused by oil companies.[35]

Russia and Yukos[edit]
In June 2016, Edelman was hired by the International Centre for Legal Protection (ICLP), led by Andrey Kondakov, former director in the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The company was hired to "turn the tide of public opinion" and "help influence U.S. opinion on a massive court verdict involving the oil giant Yukos."[50]

Equifax privacy breach crisis control[edit]
Equifax hired Edelman for crisis control after the October 2017 privacy breach.[51][52]

Geo Group private prison[edit]
Edelman supported private prison company GEO Group and helped in "laundering the reputation of private US concentration camps" in July 2019.[53] In May 2019, executives from the Washington, DC office, including office president Lisa Ross and former Trump White House deputy press secretary, Lindsay Walters, went to Florida to present the pitch.[54] In June, when word spread across the company that the work was being pursued, debate sprang up on networking app Fishbowl. The work was resigned by Edelman in July 2019 and announced during an all-hands meeting in Washington. On Fishbowl, an employee commented that the executives "took the opportunity to basically shame us for ruining the work for the company because they couldn’t trust us not to leak it to the press."[54] Other employees on Fishbowl made similar comments.[54]

The company's official response was that "Edelman takes on complex and diverse clients ... and ultimately decided not to proceed with this work."[54] Edelman also refused to confirm they did similar work for another major private prison company, CoreCivic.[54]

Spiritual home for Blairites.

Iffy?

Working Families for Wal-Mart front group[edit]
In the 2000s, Edelman created a front group called the Working Families for Wal-Mart, which said it was a grassroots organization, but was actually funded by Wal-Mart. It paid two bloggers to travel the country interviewing Wal-Mart employees, one of whom was a senior Edelman employee's sister. According to The New Yorker, "everyone she talked to was delighted with Wal-Mart". In 2006, BusinessWeek reported that the public relations effort, which was positioned as a grassroots blog, was actually paid for by Wal-Mart. The New Yorker called it a "blatant example of astroturfing".[35]

E.ON Kingsnorth coal power station[edit]
In 2008 Edelman's work with E.ON, which planned to build a coal power station at Kingsnorth attracted protests at Edelman's UK headquarters.[36] In 2009, to coincide with the weeklong "Climate Camp" range of protests, a group of naked protestors occupied Edelman's reception.[37]

Keystone XL pipeline and climate change deniers[edit]
Edelman was commissioned by TransCanada Corporation to run campaigns supporting the Keystone XL pipeline, a proposed pipeline to carry tar sands oil from Canada to refineries on the Gulf coast of Texas.[38] Edelman also developed a strategy for the proposed Energy East pipeline intended to carry tar sands oil through Québec, en route to a deep water harbor at Cacouna, Quebec for export abroad in supertankers and to refineries in New Brunswick. This resulted in a major controversy when documents leaked to Greenpeace revealed that Edelman had made some unethical proposals to sway public opinion in favor of its client. TransCanada distanced itself from those proposals as soon as the "dirty tricks" were published in the press.[39][40][41][42][43] In 2015, the firm announced that it would cease work for coal producers and climate change deniers.[44]

News Corporation phone hacking scandal[edit]
Edelman provided crisis communications to News Corporation during the phone hacking scandal.[45][46] Other clients have included Vidal Sassoon, Red Cross, Cantor Fitzgerald,[13] Royal Dutch Shell,[47] The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,[48] Starbucks,[45] and the government of Saudi Arabia.[49] It has used front groups to help the American Petroleum Institute reduce the perceived environmental damage caused by oil companies.[35]

Russia and Yukos[edit]
In June 2016, Edelman was hired by the International Centre for Legal Protection (ICLP), led by Andrey Kondakov, former director in the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The company was hired to "turn the tide of public opinion" and "help influence U.S. opinion on a massive court verdict involving the oil giant Yukos."[50]

Equifax privacy breach crisis control[edit]
Equifax hired Edelman for crisis control after the October 2017 privacy breach.[51][52]

Geo Group private prison[edit]
Edelman supported private prison company GEO Group and helped in "laundering the reputation of private US concentration camps" in July 2019.[53] In May 2019, executives from the Washington, DC office, including office president Lisa Ross and former Trump White House deputy press secretary, Lindsay Walters, went to Florida to present the pitch.[54] In June, when word spread across the company that the work was being pursued, debate sprang up on networking app Fishbowl. The work was resigned by Edelman in July 2019 and announced during an all-hands meeting in Washington. On Fishbowl, an employee commented that the executives "took the opportunity to basically shame us for ruining the work for the company because they couldn’t trust us not to leak it to the press."[54] Other employees on Fishbowl made similar comments.[54]

The company's official response was that "Edelman takes on complex and diverse clients ... and ultimately decided not to proceed with this work."[54] Edelman also refused to confirm they did similar work for another major private prison company, CoreCivic.[54]

Spiritual home for Blairites.
'Want to put that old House of Commons pass to good use?'

'Capitalism isn't winning enough: wanted, principled centreists to come and lie for it'

'Come and work for us, no need to eat at Nandos again'

Back
Top Bottom