Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cassettes

not really feeling this one so much. not really rough enough for my tastes. :D
fair enough - this was very much where my (mashed) head was at in 96 - one of the best compilations for that kind of sound - they can sound a bit tame at home but they are built to be played on big rigs and come alive at volume

thats said i find the upfront jump up stuff sounds better and better to me the older and soberer i get!

fair enough - this was very much where my (mashed) head was at in 96 - one of the best compilations for that kind of sound - they can sound a bit tame at home but they are built to be played on big rigs and come alive at volume

thats said i find the upfront jump up stuff sounds better and better to me the older and soberer i get!

nice one. know it from an old mix (bukem i think) but never figured out what it was

yep, it's got to be pretty facemelting for me these days.

'illegal jungle 2' is a mixed bag, some shite but some absolute belters. you heard this one?

oh.

10517534_10152663129740984_1506578937642004008_n.jpg

That Randal Jungle Renegades is a good comp - got that on vinyl - bought it for this tune

(ignore the first 30 seconds)

Revolutionary Generation is a cracker too

whats on those R&S ones?

it's the scuzzy ones on labels I've never heard of with tracks by artists I've never heard of that I'm interested in. Intelligent Drum & Bass 2? You heard of any of this lot?

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Intelligent-Drum-Bass-Volume-Two/release/412426
Put out by Strictly Underground Records who had endless annoying adverts on radio about how they were "100% true to the scene!" - a lot of these tunes are very minor i think its fair to say , but i know jungle collectors who collected them and liked them - saw someone put a mix up of just their favourite SU tunes the other day - could dig it out if you find you are into that sound.

ETA
This is it;
https://soundcloud.com/davejunglist/strictly-undergound-records-tribute-mix
Tracklist
Fantasy UFO - Mind, Body & Soul
Soundclash - The Burial(Hyped Up DJ Mix)
Sonic Experience - Protein(Get Stuck In Mix)
The Noise Engineer - Let’s Go(Pirate Radio Mix)
Sonic Experience - The Phuture Is Now(Pressure Mix)
Tigers In Space - Untitled Revolution
The Warrior - Welcome To Violence
Noise Engineer - Jelly Wobble
M D Emm - Get Down(Hands In The Air Mix)
Hackney Hardcore - Alright(Fu*king Loud Mix)
Hackney Hardcore - Dancehall Dangerous(Don’t Mess With Us Mix)
M D Emm - Move Your Feet(Keep Those Hands Up Mix)
Hackney Hardcore - Dancehall Dangerous(Remix)
Sonic Experience - Protein(Hardcore Innovator)
Hackney Hardcore - Caught With A Spliff(We Are Drug Squad Mix)
Fantasy UFO - Headstrong
M D EMM - Got Any Hardcore?
Multicore - True Techno Gangster
Sonic Experience - Everybody Get Crazy
Multicore - Stressed(Nervous Breakdown Mix)
Soundclash vs Hackney Hardcore - Hear Gunshots
DJ Scoobie - Boom Pow Bass Quake(Fantasy UFO Mix)
M D Emm - Energy Rush(Unity 88.4 Pirate Mix)
M D Emm - Energy Rush(Spliff Up & Chill Out Remix)
Dj Scooby - Wait 4 The Bass

(the hardcore era stuff is okay, but didnt really like their jungle era bits)

Last edited:
Cassettes were crap for most things - sound quality, artwork, price (they often cost more than vinyl) and they too often got chewed up in your player as well. But their main advantage was their portability, esp in cars - the old 8 tracks were far too bulky and playing records in your car wasn't very practical, so the cassette was ideal for drivers. For about 20 years they were the only decent format that enabled you to take your music with you, until cd's came along and offered better sound and functionality.

Arabic music still works best on tape, I find. I've got hundreds of them. Mostly Yemeni, but also Iraqi, Egyptian, Syrian and a few from Somalia. For some reason this music sounds great on a worn-out cassette, maybe the wobble adds to the feel of the music? Will post a picture of my collection at some point.
Cassettes are still the main medium for music in Yemen. The tape shops are always an experience, to say the least. Most traders have modified their tape machines with an ultra-ultra fast fast-forward and backward function. That way, when you ask what a certain tape is like he can quickly show you the highlights by whizzing through it and randomly stopping and playing. I reckon some of the shops there can rewind a tape in under 15 secs. :cool:

One of the bestest things I have is a tape compilation called From Brussels With Love which is this arty package with a booklet released on Belgian label Crepescule back in 1980, featuring among others a number of Factory artists like A Certain Ratio, Durutti Column and the little known Kevin Hewick (backed by an uncredited New Order, no less). It's a wonderful thing, the package is beautiful and the music is excellent, and I wouldn't sell mine for anything (well ok, I might...) but there are a couple for sale on ebay right now, inc this one which looks in excellent nick http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/From-Brus...619542?pt=Music_Cassettes&hash=item53e9baced6
They later released it on cd, and I've got one of those too, but the cassette version is the one to have, it's a gorgeous thing and is my favourite music artifact that I own - in any format.

Arabic music still works best on tape, I find. I've got hundreds of them. Mostly Yemeni, but also Iraqi, Egyptian, Syrian and a few from Somalia. For some reason this music sounds great on a worn-out cassette, maybe the wobble adds to the feel of the music? Will post a picture of my collection at some point.
Cassettes are still the main medium for music in Yemen. The tape shops are always an experience, to say the least. Most traders have modified their tape machines with an ultra-ultra fast fast-forward and backward function. That way, when you ask what a certain tape is like he can quickly show you the highlights by whizzing through it and randomly stopping and playing. I reckon some of the shops there can rewind a tape in under 15 secs. :cool:
ive got one cd called Africa Raps which is a compilation of some west african rap tracks from around 2000, it came with a nice photo booklet all about the african rap cassette scene, including pics of some tape shops and so on - best i can do is show the cover of the CD
1526252780_2c693b98ba.jpg

R-347892-1100345714.jpg

In the back of my mind, I'm still toying with the idea of buying a tape duplicator off ebay, a few tapes from the local electronics shop (they have 10 for €5, I think), design cover and put some of my stuff on them. I'd even welcome the additional wow and flutter and tape hiss. This way I could die knowing I made a record, even if sold fuck-all and lost money in that.

I wonder if there's a sense of theatre in using cassettes... that background knowledge that their number of uses is finite, that the very act of playing them is shortening their lifespan. And that at any time they could warp or tangle and be destroyed.

Probably. I find it quite difficult to put my finger on what I find appealing about them, other than their cheapness and a certain perverse ludditism.

A friend runs a tape label and was showing me a box set they're bringing out - 6 tapes housed in a specially constructed concrete box. :cool:

It's not Luddism, is it?

I think some people see it as a way of resisting the prevalence of mp3s as a way of distributing and storing music. (And generally the "dematerialisation" of cultural artefacts).

In some ways mp3s have reduced the income labels and musicians gain from selling recorded music.

So it's not Luddism exactly but there are parallels?

Back
Top Bottom