Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Just lobbed out all my music cassettes and feel rather sad about it

I have a big box of cassettes in the attic that I'm looking forward to going through one day. Some prerecorded albums, but mostly mixtapes and bootlegs. I can see myself binning the prerecords, but never the mixtapes. They're way too personal.

As for VHS, we have a DVD and VHS combined player, so we play VHS tapes all the time. Most of the kids shows that my boys watch are on VHS.

Yep, still got a lot of tapes - mainly radio recordings :D

5418332696_13f15d6f84.jpg

Slowly ripping them to mp3 but still listen to the actual tapes regularly and they all pretty much play mint :cool: When I planned to dispose of the tapes that I had converted, I just couldn't!

:hmm: :D I also post on London pirate radio, I have a tape play but need cable to amp.
Bin never

My ghetto blaster is on my kitchen shelf covered in band grafitti from my teenage years. Its used as a radio. Tape needs a belt.

Which reminds me that I need to get a quote for getting my Marantz Superscope "pro" cassette recorder serviced, as the belts have gone the way of all belts.

I got twin cassette decks on my hi-fi as well and loads of tapes in a drawers including a C120 with John Peel playing a record at a wrong speed.

He did that quite often. :D

I'll never chuck the cassettes....they take me back to taping the top 20 on sunday evenings, with a sister or two waltzing in mid song and talking....cue lots of sssshh-ing and slammed doors.

Mix tapes by friends, lovers and even some now dead people....irreplacable. Mix tapes I did myself for holidays with the walkman....mixes for decorating by, others for long drives, the pleasure in laying out the vinyl and carefully selecting tracks to fit the current mood....I can play a mix tape and be transported back to crimping my hair or back combing wildly..........mix tapes for getting ready to go out by.....still play them....I have a l chest of drawers just for the blighters, guess we're stuck with each other now.

Some more from my old tapes - Orbital @ Glastonbury 94 (re-broadcast on Peel). Orbital @ Glasto 94 still rates as one of the best nights of my life :cool:

And I ripped this a while back for killer b, but whilst we're talking old tapes, here's Orbital via ISDN 95 (including Sad But New with extra John Major samples!) - from Radio 1's 'Interactive Night' :D

I agree that personally mixed tapes and ones recorded off the radio are indispensable.

I have one made by an old friend in Seattle (RIP) with a peculiar mix of Captain Beefheart, Muslimgauze and the Butthole Surfers, which would be a bit hard to replicate.

Also John Peel's Festive Fifty of 1983 (outs self as ancient). IIRC there is a band on there called The Little Red Dufflecoats. Now you wouldn't buy that on Amazon, would you? :D Haven't listened to the tape for a couple of years so can't vouch if they are crap/not crap, but you get my drift.

I miss having a tape deck in the car. Car audio is always behind the times e.g. my newish (2009) car doesn't have anything for an MP3.

I still have a fair few tapes, I don't listen to them much though.
I've started a very slow process of digitising them, staring with live recordings I made, old radio shows, and some lovely mixtapes people made for me, I have some real corkers for road trips.
I might put a tape player back in my car instead of the cd one, or maybe have the pair of them.

I was hopeless with vinyl and I'd imagine any old lp's I still have would be unplayable with scratches. I have a couple of shoeboxes full of cassettes and I doubt I'll ever throw them away. I tend to hold onto all sorts of junk for no reason other than the thought that I'd throw something away and wish I hadn't. It's not very logical in all fairness.
When I snuff it I hope someone wants my Peter Skellern & Trini Lopez stuff !!

Hoping someone digitises their old Annie Nightingale sunday request show tapes at some point. That stuff is instant nostalgia for me.

Do you regret this, editor ?

I just recently hauled all my tapes from a sealed box under the stairs. They'd been there for about 13 years. What a treasure trove of lost gems! There were a ton of classic hip hop in there, and some recordings I made off the John Peel show in the 80s. Also mix tapes that my mates made for me, classic early 90s House. Had a Walkman in work all week and it's like having a brand new collection of about 300 albums and amazing rareities. :)

I love Spotify, but am currently listening to some unknown Acid House trax taped off John Peel in about 88! :D

(reading through the thread just now made me laugh, as so many people taped bits of his shows)

Everyone should know that Lovin Spoonfuls , Summer in the City should be followed by Billy Idols White Wedding and when it does n`t it just sounds wrong

I got rid of my tapes a few years ago. However, I still have the odd encounter with them since I gave a load to my sister, whose car still has a tape deck. A few weeks back we drove up through Lincolnshire listening to old mix tapes I made when I was a student, which was pleasantly surreal. :cool:

Last edited:
I think there might be one or two around here in a junk drawer. I can't remember when we stopped using them; but probably around the advent of CDs. Never much liked cassettes - the tape would always foul.

i have kept the irreplacable stuff, mixtapes, peel sessions etc, but i got rid of the rest. sold quite a few on discogs tbh. tapes are very in right now.

I still buy them regularly. usually really cheap in charity shops - I picked up a massive stack of afro-funk from the 1980s from oxfam for 10p an album not long ago. Plus loads of indie labels have started releasing on cassette again.

i have kept the irreplacable stuff, mixtapes, peel sessions etc, but i got rid of the rest. sold quite a few on discogs tbh. tapes are very in right now.

Hmm, I may just have to stick the couple of hundred I still have (after giving away several hundred to charity shops and Urbanites) on there, and see if anyone bites.

I've still got the embarrassing techno compilations I made aged around 16 / 17. The music's alright but my attempts at cover design were a bit knaff... Basically called things like Mind Warp, - Beyond the Quazar. Covered in coloured insulation tape. :facepalm: Not played them for years.

Back
Top Bottom