Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cardiff City /Cardiff Dragons/ RedBlueDragonBirds 2013-2014, Bluebirds Unite and related chat

Michael Mancienne coming in January then? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Mancienne
Or this guy as a central defender.

I've seen clubs being bought out just to be used as tax evasion measure or pure vanity, but this season the Cardiff situation has gone from sad and a testament to the dangers of glory-seeking in the era of big money to hilarious, if it wasn't breaking the heart of so many people. I get pissed when Nike crapped on the clubs' tradition of stripes, I'd be livid if a new owner tried to change the whole identity of the club.

I'll forgive almost anything for getting CCFC into the Premiership.

That had to happen, it was 50 years overdue. The city and the nation had been punching below our football weight for too long, making everyone think we're all egg chasers.

But I hope he goes away soon. With any luck some other billionaire will have noticed the potential by then. In the meantime, just by wearing blue to games the fans can neutralize Tan and make him look silly--he won't care, he won't even notice.

Malky spotted at Celtic

https://twitter.com/CardiffPlaces/status/418412326505566208
Bc567VRIMAEApjN.jpg

it's to keep him warm.

next.

I didn't ask "What's the jumper for?". I'm curious to know if the colour issue is more marketing, more superstition, or merely a preference for red. A blue jumper is an odd choice for the game in the circumstances. Also, I bet he's got a red one or could send a slave out to buy one.

I didn't ask "What's the jumper for?". I'm curious to know if the colour issue is more marketing, more superstition, or merely a preference for red. A blue jumper is an odd choice for the game in the circumstances. Also, I bet he's got a red one or could send a slave out to buy one.
get onto the anti-slavery hotline then

I really don't think he's paying that much attention. This is important to us, not to him.

He's made Cardiff look like Man Utd with the crappy red strip, so now he's hoping more of the Man Utd-ness will rub off with one of their ex-players.

His management career thus far is hardly stellar.
Not stellar, but certainly not poor either. He took Molde to a first league win in their 100+ year history, and got a cup gold as well IIRC. Things didn't work out quite as well this year, but by all accounts he's not just another ex-star playing at being manager, but a proper one.

Not stellar, but certainly not poor either. He took Molde to a first league win in their 100+ year history, and got a cup gold as well IIRC. Things didn't work out quite as well this year, but by all accounts he's not just another ex-star playing at being manager, but a proper one.
With respect, getting a team to the top of the Norwegian league (for one season only) isn't really the kind of star point on your CV for a Premiership manager.

With respect, getting a team to the top of the Norwegian league (for one season only) isn't really the kind of star point on your CV for a Premiership manager.
My bad - they won it twice on the trot. I take your point about the Norwegian league hardly being the pinnacle of managerial careers, but it's not the pits either. Anyway. This is Cardiff he's gonna manage, not an established PL club ;)

My bad - they won it twice on the trot. I take your point about the Norwegian league hardly being the pinnacle of managerial careers, but it's not the pits either. Anyway. This is Cardiff he's gonna manage, not an established PL club ;)
That's as maybe but the gulf is still going to be vast. Molde's average gate was around the same size as Rotherham's.

Didnt Lord Ferg always advise former United players who wanted to move into management to pick a Chairman as well as a Club :hmm:...bad choice Ole

That's as maybe but the gulf is still going to be vast. Molde's average gate was around the same size as Rotherham's.
What's that got to do with his managerial capabilities? He played for years at the very highest level, I doubt the slightly larger crowd will intimidate him.

What's that got to do with his managerial capabilities? He played for years at the very highest level, I doubt the slightly larger crowd will intimidate him.
I'm just pointing out that his experience in managing in a comparably tiny team in a league in Norway doesn't instill a ton of confidence when it comes to playing at the highest level against the likes of Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool etc.

And the crowds there will be a LOT bigger than "slightly larger," not that I think that's important or ever made any reference to him being "intimidated" (?): I was referring to the size of the club and its comparable resources.

I'm just pointing out that his experience in managing in a comparably tiny team in a league in Norway doesn't instill a ton of confidence when it comes to playing at the highest level against the likes of Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool etc.

And the crowds there will be a LOT bigger than "slightly larger," not that I think that's important or ever made any reference to him being "intimidated" (?): I was referring to the size of the club and its comparable resources.
The capacity at CCS is about 27k isn't it? I'd hardly call that massively bigger. Either way, it'll be interesting to see how the whole thing plays out. Some reports say his contract is on a rolling basis - if true, what does that mean exactly?

The capacity at CCS is about 27k isn't it? I'd hardly call that massively bigger. Either way, it'll be interesting to see how the whole thing plays out. Some reports say his contract is on a rolling basis - if true, what does that mean exactly?
I think it means he's permanently on a year's notice. Or two/three/whatever if they happen to have given him a longer rolling contract.

Essentially, his contract can never just run down and expire, but they do have to give him a pay-off/notice for however long his rolling contract is for.

I think.

Arsene Wenger came from the Japanese J league, after winning the title and a cup, he seems to have turned out ok. Tim Sherwood has only ever managed the under 21's, (average attendance unknown), still early days but he seems to be doing ok, and did ok against the likes of Man Utd yesterday.
He might not instill a ton of confidence in you, but everyone has to make the step up at some point. What big name would come in and work for a tool like Tan?!

Just look at the respect the press has for Cardiff City now:
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has entered a madhouse at Cardiff City - and he won't leave it on the good terms on which he has arrived

Into the madhouse of Vincent Tan steps Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, the new coach of Cardiff City. The desire to manage in the Premier League proved too powerful an emotion to resist, even for a bright young thing from Norway who took Molde to the Norwegian championship for the first time.

Like many before him Solskjaer thinks it will be different this time. It won’t. The golden rule endures; he who has all the gold makes all the rules. The moment Solskjaer crosses the Malaysian magnate, the chauffeur-driven ride into Tan’s world via the director’s box at Arsenal will become a hearse carrying him into the netherworld of discarded football men.

The sense of entitlement that allows Tan to behave as he wishes, without regard for the sensibilities of the community into which he has bought, is a 21st-century expression of medieval moving and shaking, where decisions are based not on matters of fact but mood.

Solskjaer has entered the court of Henry VIII, and we know how that ends – unless gout, palsy or some such ailment takes down the king first.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...od-terms-on-which-he-has-arrived-9035352.html

The desire to manage in the Premier League proved too powerful an emotion to resist
So what reasons are being given for him not even considering the West Brom job? Of course, that's presuming they'd consider him...

Back
Top Bottom