Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Capita and army recuitment

If you are the sort of person who has a history of being difficult with outsourcing companies you are unlikely to get a job with said companies afterwards - perhaps less because you've been difficult and more because you just wouldn't want one. But that is going to have an influence in selecting who takes and stays in the public sector jobs concerned. Let alone the ideological requirements to get into those positions at all.

He's talking about politicians, not civil servants, getting favourable board positions with companies that they helped to make money while in office.

Actually I'm talking civil servants - and in MOD, military officers - I've been approached by a large defence contractor while I was involved in managing a project they were bidding for. Their recruitment person expressed unconvincing surprise when I told her I couldn't speak to her as I was involved in the project - she claimed she didn't know and apologised, but she'd made it clear by that stage that she knew I was. The salary she was offering was about 3 times my salary (which she knew, given public sector pay scales), but she was a bit nebulous about the role, which I rather suspected was 'feel guilty but keep the money'...

I know nothing about the military so apols if this is a dumb question, but can you just quit the army when you want? I thought you at least had to get some kind of discharge or something, no?

No, you can't just leave, as you thought. The soldier in question has said that he will be leaving at the next point at which he can leave. Four year point iirc, I think he's about a year out from that.

He may change his mind - personally I think he's been treated very poorly and should be apologised to by the MoD - but he may not, though he has quite a bit of time to make a big decision about real life, rather than an immediate reaction to seeing his face on the side of a bus.

didn't you used to be able to buy your way out if you were rich and decided it was no longer a good crack

They're shit ads aren't they. Mind you the Army have form for this. Remember the 'Frank' ones from the early 90s which tried to make the army look like some Club 18-30 package holiday.

LOL

Back
Top Bottom