Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine war: British troops must prepare to fight in Europe once again, says new head of Army

Not me. I’d sooner GTFO to a safe country than get commandeered into some mandatory war role while the elites head to their bunkers and martial law is put into effect. Fuck thaaaat.
When I was young, I used to occasionally imagine myself as a Vietnam war conscript fleeing to Canada or Mexico. I love the sun, and had a propensity for putting myself in shit, difficult situations, so it would probably have been Mexico.

When I was young, I used to occasionally imagine myself as a Vietnam war conscript fleeing to Canada or Mexico. I love the sun, and had a propensity for putting myself in shit, difficult situations, so it would probably have been Mexico.
Strange how you never imagined yourself on the winning side

Scum bag small dick energy Dictator goes to war to bolster his crashing politics ratings. A story as old as history

It’s Johnson all over

I’ll be telling them to fuck right off TBH

Generals telling it like it is until Pootins regime changes.
Hm forces won't be needing desert or jungle kit.
It's warm kit and slavic languages for the future. 🙄.
Back to the 80s and unfortunately there's. No wall to keep the angry bear behind😳

I would prefer to be in tanks, I mean if I have to go into battle at least I could be sitting down!

Think of it as going into battle in a barbecue

Tanks catch fire quite often when hit, usually with those inside engulfed before they can escape so that they end up burning to death. Which is a horrible way to go.

If I had to risk death in a battle zone I'd rather take my chances outside and risk being shot or blown up. Greater chance of the death being quicker and lesser chance of being burned alive.

If you'd read sven hassel you wouldn't say that

It was a Peter Ustinov quote from when he was drafted in WWII .. he was a reluctant soldier :( :)

Surely this is just the armed forces using the Ukraine invasion to beef up their argument for an increase in funding much the same as the spooks when they were pushing talk of a new cold War to support their funding bids.
As far as actual war, it depends on how Putin gets on. He's going to possibly get Donbas at most which is not exactly the kind of emphatic victory needed to really scare the rest of Europe into marching into battle.

Surely this is just the armed forces using the Ukraine invasion to beef up their argument for an increase in funding much the same as the spooks when they were pushing talk of a new cold War to support their funding bids.
As far as actual war, it depends on how Putin gets on. He's going to possibly get Donbas at most which is not exactly the kind of emphatic victory needed to really scare the rest of Europe into marching into battle.
Russia has always wanted “warm water ports” from which it can operate all the year round. When it takes the Donbas it will have road and rail access to Crimea and the port of Sebastopol. The next step is control of Istanbul, the Bosphorous and out to the Mediterranean. Does it remind you of Hitler in the 1930’s? Need Turkey tremble?

TBF I think it is more them trying to prevent the 2021 cuts - which, amazingly, still haven't been rescinded.

As an aside, nothing shows the uselessness of Labour more than the fact that Johnson's exchange with Tobias Ellwood at the November meeting of the Liaison Committee isn't their party political broadcast - it would be free and it is vastly more damaging than anything they could ever come up with. I appreciate its been on here a few times but with every day this war lasts Johnson looks more and more ridiculous.

When the Army gets to conscripting sickly elderly men with dicky hearts we'll be in pretty deep trouble.

I guess I could drive a van or something.
There's a Job waiting for you in MoD procurement. Do you know what a tank looks like? Unfortunately your over qualified.
Met someone who spent weeks working on the presentation for the Army's new sniper rifle.
The MoD sent a radar and a Sonar expert who Apprantly knew nothing about sniper rifles not technical stuff just what even what a sniper rifle is. 😂🙄

I dont understand Russia is at best going to acheive a pyhric victory in Ukraine. If they dont come to their senses claim they killed all the Nazis and runaway.
Ukraine will cost billions to rebuild. Which if Russia even wanted to do it can't afford. NATO is more united than ever has found out which bits of kit actually work and is talking about buying more stuff.
How is Russia a threat to the west?
Apart from nukes, The idea we need to build an army to go toe to toe with Russia is ridiciloius .If we started today by the time we equipped say another 100,000 soldiers (Its Russia go big or go home) Russia is going to be a spent force looking for handouts wether it wins or loses in Ukraine.

When a senior member of the British armed forces starts along this track, we know things are unravelling.

Not really. We have done a lot of training for fighting insurgencies in sandy places. All Arms fighting a mechanised army in Europe we haven't really trained for for quite a long time. When we did do that, we had an Army that was four times bigger than the one that we have now

There's a Job waiting for you in MoD procurement. Do you know what a tank looks like? Unfortunately your over qualified.
Met someone who spent weeks working on the presentation for the Army's new sniper rifle.
The MoD sent a radar and a Sonar expert who Apprantly knew nothing about sniper rifles not technical stuff just what even what a sniper rifle is. 😂🙄

When the L96A1 won its trial (to become the Army's new sniper rifle), the MoD sent two inspectors to check the factory belonging to Accuracy International to ensure that they could produce the volume of guns required in the order.

AI at that stage didn't have a factory and so they rented one, then scattered about gun bits and some machinery in it; it passed inspection.

When the L96A1 won its trial (to become the Army's new sniper rifle), the MoD sent two inspectors to check the factory belonging to Accuracy International to ensure that they could produce the volume of guns required in the order.

AI at that stage didn't have a factory and so they rented one, then scattered about gun bits and some machinery in it; it passed inspection.
Apparently the two guys behind the gun were working out of one of their sheds when they made the L96, I think they were making custom match guns at that point.

They took the MOD inspection team for a pub lunch afterwards where they were told "There wasn't much to the inspection, we just needed to make sure that you weren't just two guys in a shed"...

I'm 35 years old and do not have nor am I working towards a professional qualification, so the armed forces probably aren't too interested in volunteers like me who are a bit set in their ways and don't have any professional skills to compensate. So I reckon they wouldn't have me, even if I was prepared to throw my life away like that, or at the very least if I was prepared to lease out my life to an organisation where being directly in harm's way is part of the employment contract.

Of course, if there is an invasion of my home country, then I'm already in harm's way whether I like that or not. I don't know if I would actually be prepared to wield a weapon and end another human being's life in such circumstances, I feel like that would depend on a lot of variables. Whether I fight or not, I hope that I would have the strength of character to make the right choices either way.

Back
Top Bottom