Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye MEAT! How will the post-meat future look?

How reluctant are you to give up your meat habit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We all know that the prison lifestyle is unsustainable when it comes to climate change. Prisoners need to drastically change their ways in order to stop being such a drain on the planet.

New Scientist has long campaigned on Climate Change issues, but it is sometimes hopelessly politically naive. This is one of those times.

Wow - just in time to see that forcing prisoners to eat the most nutritionally poor, processed slop available is a great way to make the prison industrial complex more profitable being touted as a good thing....... :thumbs:
Reactionary, authoritarian measures are the way forward. Start with children and prisoners. Maybe dementia wards next? They won't even notice the difference, or if they do they'll forget soon enough.

I eat at a lot of restaurants due to travelling a lot for work and I can't say I've seen a change in any menus at all. Sounds a bit Chinny reckon to me.

That whole article sounds highly dubious. According to that only 50% of pub main courses contain meat. I just randomly picked 5 London pubs and it's about 70%, and 90% if you include fish dishes.

Once again; always fact check anything posted on these threads!

We all know that the prison lifestyle is unsustainable when it comes to climate change. Prisoners need to drastically change their ways in order to stop being such a drain on the planet.

New Scientist has long campaigned on Climate Change issues, but it is sometimes hopelessly politically naive. This is one of those times.
In other words, if it doesn't agree with clever old you, therefore it must be wrong or just 'naive'.

I'm surprised you don't support as evolution provides the best solutions. I'm not sure how the agricultural differs from digging stuff up and burning it though in evolutionary terms.
It doesn't though, in terms of efficiently feeding people, selective breeding does, which is basically humans apply selection pressure to efficiently feed themselves.
Let's take a non meat example so as not to tempt a random source dump...

Brassica oleracea (they have missed oilseed rape out too, as although similar in structure to the wild plant, the oil yield from the seeds is much higher)brassica-oleracea.0.jpg

Agriculture differs from burning fossil fuels as fossil fuels are carbon that has been sequestered millions of years ago and removed from the atmosphere which you dig up and burn. Agriculture (cropping, grazing ruminants on grass) often actively sequesters it.

Funny, charts that show agricultural emissions never mention how much it sequesters...

It doesn't though, in terms of efficiently feeding people, selective breeding does, which is basically humans apply selection pressure to efficiently feed themselves.
Let's take a non meat example so as not to tempt a random source dump...

Brassica oleracea (they have missed oilseed rape out too, as although similar in structure to the wild plant, the oil yield from the seeds is much higher)View attachment 360607

Agriculture differs from burning fossil fuels as fossil fuels are carbon that has been sequestered millions of years ago and removed from the atmosphere which you dig up and burn. Agriculture (cropping, grazing ruminants on grass) often actively sequesters it.

Funny, charts that show agricultural emissions never mention how much it sequesters...
As I said on evolutionary terms. Agriculture (including selective breeding) and burning fossil fuels are both human innovations and so it seems to be neither is strictly down to evolution. It could also be argued they are both part of evolution. I don't see an argument where one is artificial and one isn't holding water. This is in reference to this
There can be an arrogance in human activity generally, thinking that we can make artificial solutions to problems without causing damage. But our solutions are never anything like as good as the naturally evolved solutions. Evolution is a far more skilled engineer than we are.
That wasn't obvious though as I mistakenly quoted Jeff while rushing out earlier. I'm not sure what LBJ's objection is to Monbiot's alleged primtavism if evolution is key.

Yes, selective breeding conscious or not will push things in the direction desirable to those doing the selecting.

As I said on evolutionary terms. Agriculture (including selective breeding) and burning fossil fuels are both human innovations and so it seems to be neither is strictly down to evolution. It could also be argued they are both part of evolution. I don't see an argument where one is artificial and one isn't holding water. This is in reference to this

That wasn't obvious though as I mistakenly quoted Jeff while rushing out earlier. I'm not sure what LBJ's objection is to Monbiot's alleged primtavism if evolution is key.

Yes, selective breeding conscious or not will push things in the direction desirable to those doing the selecting.
Humility that's all. Farming has existed in decent evolutionary time now (such that we have evolved with it) and various farming practices have been developed over millennia. The proposals now are to revolutionise in double quick time. Last time that was done with the post war green revolution some huge mistakes were made. Millennia old practices were often overturned with disastrous results.

What monbiot proposes is not primitivism.

In other words, if it doesn't agree with clever old you, therefore it must be wrong or just 'naive'.
In this case they are. So are you fwiw. You're absurdly politically naive. Just look at the crap you've posted today.

Fuck prisoners, feed them what we want.you sound like a Tory.

In this case they are. So are you fwiw. You're absurdly politically naive. Just look at the crap you've posted today.

Fuck prisoners, feed them what we want.you sound like a Tory.

You really should be up for some kind of award for the amount of idiotic strawmen you've constructed today.

What's wrong with substituting meat for vegan alternatives for some meals in "prisons, schools, hospitals and other state-run institutions"? It's what everyone should be doing across all strata of society.

If you give a shit for the environment, people have got to eat less fucking meat.

You really should be up for some kind of award for the amount of idiotic strawmen you've constructed today.

What's wrong with substituting meat for vegan alternatives for some meals in "prisons, schools, hospitals and other state-run institutions"?
You liked a post saying that removing meat from prisoners' diets was a good idea.

Generally when I like posts it's because I agree with the thrust of what is said.

What's wrong with substituting meat for vegan alternatives for some meals in "prisons, schools, hospitals and other state-run institutions"? It's what everyone should be doing across all strata of society.
That's not how I read it. It reads as forcibly replacing all meat with vegetarian options.

You liked a post saying that removing meat from prisoners' diets was a good idea.

Generally when I like posts it's because I agree with the thrust of what is said.
Can't you read? It doesn't say "removing" meat entirely, you fucking idiot. It says that they should serve "more" vegan meals.

Here. Read this carefully.

Serving more plant-based foods in public institutions would help the alternative protein sector to scale up and bring down its costs, while also boosting the popularity of these products with the public, according to a report from sustainability consultancy Systemiq in partnership with the University of Exeter, UK.

Should vegan alternatives displace 20 per cent of meat sold globally, up to 8 million square kilometres of land used for livestock farming could be redeployed for climate-positive schemes, says Tim Lenton at the University of Exeter, who contributed to the report.

Can't you read? It doesn't say "removing" meat entirely, you fucking idiot. It says that they should serve "more" vegan meals.

Here. Read this carefully.
Can't you read? YOU LIKED A POST ABOUT REMOVING MEAT FROM PRISONERS.

And you've also liked various posts referencing Monbiot's ideas about the future of farming.

Don't hide from it. Be proud. You are right, meat-eaters are wrong, and you support measures to force your views on others, starting with prisoners who have nowhere else to go.

Can't you read? YOU LIKED A POST ABOUT REMOVING MEAT FROM PRISONERS.
This is weird. Prisoners will still be able to eat meat, but the report recommends that also including vegan substitutes on account of, well you know, the impending climate change disaster, might be a good idea.

This is weird. Prisoners will still be able to eat meat, but the report recommends that also including vegan substitutes on account of, well you know, the impending climate change disaster, might be a good idea.
Yeah they've a massive buffet selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom