Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye MEAT! How will the post-meat future look?

How reluctant are you to give up your meat habit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard to imagine anything more unnatural for a cow than to be chained into a big metal turntable, all facing each other.
Takes five or six minutes twice a day. And the cows are fine with being milked. They need it. I don't see great hardship in that particular aspect of their lives.

Takes five or six minutes twice a day. And the cows are fine with being milked. They need it. I don't see great hardship in that particular aspect of their lives.
are you fucking for real?
They produce milk for their calves, who are stolen from them so they can provide you with the milk meant for calves

LBJ has spoken, there's no great hardship with being artificially inseminated, having your babies taken off you and then having to get your milk sucked out of you by a machine, no hardship at all

e2a - dress it up how you like but don't make claims and proclamations you won't and can't back up

There's a whole other ethical discussion to be had about breeding cows to be like that and taking away their calves (although dairy can be done without that last part), but once you have the cows there needing to be milked it would be cruel not to. Robotic milking systems allow cows to choose when to be milked, and they do choose it. Cos they'd be in trouble otherwise with all that milk in them. The cows willingly line up in a parlour to have their udders drained.

Picking on the aesthetic of the milking parlour, as judged by humans, misses the mark as a criticism of dairy farming. And they're not stuck in there for hours. They're there a few minutes each day, doing something that they would choose to do anyway.

Cows are social animals btw . Having them facing each other as they're milked doesn't seem such a bad idea.

Last edited:
"they're there anyway, might as well exploit them" is such a brilliant excuse for exploitation, could be used in all kinds of situations

"Cows are social animals" so isn't it lovely they get to face each other for a few minutes, let's not dwell on the fact they've had their babies ripped from them etc

Abusers can normalise all kinds of situations, don't make it right

There's a whole other ethical discussion to be had about breeding cows to be like that and taking away their calves (although dairy can be done without that last part), but once you have the cows there needing to be milked it would be cruel not to. Robotic milking systems allow cows to choose when to be milked, and they do choose it. Cos they'd be in trouble otherwise with all that milk in them. The cows willingly line up in a parlour to have their udders drained.

Picking on the aesthetic of the milking parlour, as judged by humans, misses the mark as a criticism of dairy farming. And they're not stuck in there for hours. They're there a few minutes each day, doing something that they would choose to do anyway.

Cows are social animals btw . Having them facing each other as they're milked doesn't seem such a bad idea.

To focus on elements of dairy farming that, taken in isolation, seem relatively unproblematic, whilst vaguely gesturing towards "ethical discussion to be had" about the other parts reads like apologism to be honest. Cows only "need" to be milked because (1) they've been forcibly separated from their calves and (2) they've been selectively bred to produce far more milk than is healthy for their bodies. Factory farmers also justify debeaking chickens and de-tailing pigs on welfare grounds - they say they need to be protected from the aggression of other animals. What they omit to mention is that the aggression is only a threat in the first place because of they've crammed the animals so tightly into sheds!

Last edited:

I suppose the cabbage juicers amongst you will think he's trying to work a niche market with this one by going mobile and suggest it serves him right for trying to earn a living from evil factory-bread beasts whilst they continue to nip into ASDA for there athletes foot fungus tika masala?

I suppose the cabbage juicers amongst you will think he's trying to work a niche market with this one by going mobile and suggest it serves him right for trying to earn a living from evil factory-bread beasts whilst they continue to nip into ASDA for there athletes foot fungus tika masala?
Oh so you're a cunt after all.

that could work well with a mobile slaughterhouse?

My concern on this subject is needless suffering by animals. This article sheds some light on "self-awareness" in animals:

Key to their arguments is the scientific evidence that ... animals are self-aware like humans. Not only can they suffer, but they can think to themselves, I am suffering.

That's a very selective quote from what is actually a very balanced article.
Which, fascinating as it is has very little to do with the subject at hand here.

Unless I've missed all the chimp and dolphin farms, that is.

Also, pretty sure nobody is saying that farmed animals can't suffer - the idea that they can is the basis of our welfare legislation, the five freedoms.

Which, fascinating as it is has very little to do with the subject at hand here.

Unless I've missed all the chimp and dolphin farms, that is.

Also, pretty sure nobody is saying that farmed animals can't suffer - the idea that they can is the basis of our welfare legislation, the five freedoms.
I think the article's point is that the animals are self aware and cognizant of their human inflicted suffering

In order to have self-awareness, you need to have semiotic mediation between experience and the environment, to be able to recognise the self as an object and be able to mirror that object in the reflected world. You also need to have some kind of dialogic cognition, so that you can understand that there are alternative perspectives that do not centre you in experience. You need to be able to construct an identity in order to provide that self with continuity over time. I am extremely unconvinced that almost any animal has these abilities, and would not be at all surprised to discover humans are unique in having them all (or, indeed, any of them).

Certainly, the most likely contenders (like chimpanzees and apes) do not have these abilities. For example, a chimp can pick up and move a chair and then pick up a stick in order to get down some bananas. However, if either chair or stick is outside their visual field, they are unable to do this task, even if they have previously done it. This is because they have no internalised representation of their visual field. Without the ability to semiotically mediate the world, it is ephemeral. Without the ability to hold a narrative, there is no self-continuity and so no self.

None of which is to say that animals can’t suffer. The complement of an objective self is subjective experience. If animals cannot self-reflect then all they have is subjectivity. Suffering is the subjective experience of not having your needs met, which is fundamental to being an animal. And without self-continuity, there is no future or past, only the now. As such, suffering is absolute, because there is no conception of experience without suffering.

Last edited:
I think the article's point is that the animals are self aware and cognizant of their human inflicted suffering
It isn't.

Its point is that if you agree that the mirror test does indicate self awareness (and not cognisance), which many scientists don't, then some great apes have it, whereas monkeys do not and that it may be that dolphins do, but its not well supported.

Ah, those lovely caring farmers

Livestock farms in England polluted rivers 300 times last year, causing 20 major incidents, according to the latest government figures.

Yet only six farms were prosecuted in 2021, with the Environment Agency giving out warning letters instead.
The dairy industry - mostly thanks to the waste its millions of cows produce - is the worst environmental offender, linked to half of all farm pollution.

One offender is Michael Aylesbury, a director of Cross Keys Farms Ltd. In June this year, he was ordered to pay more than £25,000 for polluting the River Frome in Somerset with slurry in 2020.
He had been prosecuted before for polluting the same stretch of the Frome in 2016, an incident that killed more than 1,700 fish.

An industry campaign that urges the public to buy more meat and dairy will return to TV screens this Christmas with a new advert.

:facepalm:

And also:

And as if by magic, as soon as the discussion goes too far down a path that doesn't fit with the anti-science narrative of the conspiracists, bang! Massive unrelated source dump.

Agricultural pollution continues to drop whereas water company pollution continues to rise.......pollution.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom