Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye MEAT! How will the post-meat future look?

How reluctant are you to give up your meat habit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some hyper-processed meat substitutes are on the way out it seems:

BBC News - After the hype plant-based proteins face leaner times

Perhaps I should dig out my Cranks cook book....
The share price for beyond meat looks interesting.....
It's almost like people don't actually want ultra processed shite..

Beyond Meat Inc (BYND) Stock Price & News - Google Finance

Some hyper-processed meat substitutes are on the way out it seems:

BBC News - After the hype plant-based proteins face leaner times

Perhaps I should dig out my Cranks cook book....
The Cranks cookbook is a great recipe book
Also Rose Elliot’s ‘not just a load of old lentils’

Sorry what amazing point are you trying to arrive at here and what has it got to do with the actual discussion?
Perhaps that if you use animal products derived from the processes you find so appalling that you are complicit in supporting the same.

Perhaps that if you use animal products derived from the processes you find so appalling that you are complicit in supporting the same.
Which sort of products are you thinking about here? Get to the point, FFS.

I hate capitalism but I'm complicit in it as a consumer. As are you. The difference is that I don't actively promote it (see: this site) neither do I actively promote the meat industry or its products.

Any animal derived product.

If you are so against the meat and dairy industries why support them by using product derived from them when you could use vegan alternatives or just not use them.

It seems hypocritical. I am not the one constantly wishing ruin on one section of the food industry while still supporting it by using its products.

If you are so against the meat and dairy industries why support them by using product derived from them when you could use vegan alternatives or just not use them.

It seems hypocritical. I am not the one constantly wishing ruin on one section of the food industry while still supporting it by using its products.
It would be hypocritical if I stated I was a vegan activist but I'm not. FYI I haven't bought any meat, or milk, or eggs for 30-odd years and I'm constantly trying to reduce the absolute miniscule amount of animal products I consume down to zero. Which it is most days of the week.

And far from demanding people eat no meat at all, ever (although I'd be fine with that personally), you'll see that throughout this thread I've constantly argued that people should eat less meat - in line with the research presented by multiple experts and studies.

Hypocrisy hunting at it's finest! Will you feel better about yourself if you get the answers you so desperately need? :confused:

It would be hypocritical if I stated I was a vegan activist but I'm not. FYI I haven't bought any meat, or milk, or eggs for 30-odd years and I'm constantly trying to reduce the absolute miniscule amount of animal products I consume down to zero. Which it is most days of the week.

And far from demanding people eat no meat at all, ever (although I'd be fine with that personally), you'll see that throughout this thread I've constantly argued that people should eat less meat - in line with the research presented by multiple experts and studies.
You'd agree, surely, the amounts recommended by the research I assume you're referring to is so small it's essentially saying "eat no meat". They're just being diplomatic about it. No one is going to bother buying beef if the recommendation is 20g a week for example. So it's a way of saying we ought not eat meat at all.

Do meat alternatives such as this actually have less impact on the environment than the meat products they are intended to replace?

Conflicting data on that point. In terms of GhG emissions, I think the general view is that cultivated meat is not necessarily better than slaughter meat, but it can be. Cultured meat's main benefit seems to be that it requires much less land use.

Conflicting data on that point. In terms of GhG emissions, I think the general view is that cultivated meat is not necessarily better than slaughter meat, but it can be. Cultured meat's main benefit seems to be that it requires much less land use.
So if we are to address climate change and cultured meat alternatives are not going to accomplish that, how do we get the masses to change their diet to reduce meat consumption considerably?

It seems to me the only measure which will have a sufficiently powerful effect is to tax meat to the point at which it’s out of reach of most as a daily meal choice.

So if we are to address climate change and cultured meat alternatives are not going to accomplish that, how do we get the masses to change their diet to reduce meat consumption considerably?

It seems to me the only measure which will have a sufficiently powerful effect is to tax meat to the point at which it’s out of reach of most as a daily meal choice.

Yeah you can let the wealthy carry on as normal, while counting the coins that the ordinary people shovel into your treasury, or you can just ban it. See also: smoking, gambling, drinking, congestion charges, parking fines etc.

Life and living, and making moral judgements about any given issue - but especially ethical issues like animal consumption or animal cruelty - can and does involve a degree of compromise somewhere along the line. Not always, of course; but often it does. That's the reality of the world we exist in. I guess all you can do as an individual is to come as close as possible to upholding those values, causes and beliefs you believe in - even if you can't/won't always get it right every time. But at least it's better to be 50% of something than 100% of nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom