Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye MEAT! How will the post-meat future look?

How reluctant are you to give up your meat habit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
more info on highly processed food

But is it the UPF (processed foods) which cause the health hazard, or is there a more incidental association such as people who eat a lot of UPF also do other things which cause harm to their health?

I’m thinking of an example a teacher once gave my class of research which established a firm connection between the number of shells shot on Salisbury plains and the amount of ice cream sold at the seaside. Of course it wasn’t one causing the other, but simply that both were influenced by third factor (how sunny it was).

Maybe people who mostly choose processed foods are also not venturing far enough from their sofa and dying early through lack of exercise and other health-affecting behavioural factors?

Last edited:
But is it the UPF (processed foods) which cause the health hazard, or is there a more incidental association such as people who eat a lot of UPF also do other things which cause harm to their health?

I’m thinking of an example a teacher once gave my class of research which established a firm connection between the number of shells shot on Salisbury plains and the amount of ice cream sold at the seaside. Of course it wasn’t one causing the other, but simply that both were influenced by third factor (how sunny it was).

Maybe people who mostly choose processed foods are also not venturing far enough from their sofa and dying early through lack of exercise and other health-affecting behavioural factors?
The article doesn't link directly to the studies it mentions but I would be surprised if they hadn't factored that in. Tim Spector, who is quoted in the article, does research with twins to explore how different people digest their food.

This is a link to a review of his latest book.

Spoon-Fed by Tim Spector review – food myths busted

I never eat anything that has had a body. Eeew. I personally find it incredible that animals are put through such cruelty.

The article doesn't link directly to the studies it mentions but I would be surprised if they hadn't factored that in. Tim Spector, who is quoted in the article, does research with twins to explore how different people digest their food.

This is a link to a review of his latest book.

Spoon-Fed by Tim Spector review – food myths busted

I'm not sure how much I trust Spector... there's a bit of the crank to him. It's a complicated one, and I'd have to follow a rabbit hole I went down a few months ago to properly unpick exactly why I think that. Too much confidence. And claims to want broadly improved nutrition, then makes an app that requires a test (£259.98) and a steeeep monthly subscription (£24.99pcm for 12 months, £60 if you just want to give it a go for 1 month).

I'm not sure how much I trust Spector... there's a bit of the crank to him. It's a complicated one, and I'd have to follow a rabbit hole I went down a few months ago to properly unpick exactly why I think that. Too much confidence. And claims to want broadly improved nutrition, then makes an app that requires a test (£259.98) and a steeeep monthly subscription (£24.99pcm for 12 months, £60 if you just want to give it a go for 1 month).
Didn't know that about the app. I know what you mean about him. During covid, he tended to state things with too much confidence.

Reactions: Cid
And yes, you reek of smug moral superiority when you make these shitty putdowns or when you attempt to describe meat and meat-eating as a barbaric activity.

It just obviously is though. Wake the fuck up and smell the oat milk latte. Gassing pigs and slitting their throats so you can consume their corpses is just obviously barbaric. I recon in 20-30 years time, when no-slaughter meat wins out, everyone will acknowledge this is obvious.

This seems a timely article:

How the Meat Industry Undermines Effective Climate Policy
Borrowing a page from the fossil fuel industry’s playbook, meat’s “merchants of doubt” are funding questionable research and lobbying to keep meat reduction off the table.

For years, meat producers have worked furiously behind the scenes to keep meat reduction out of discussions on climate policy. The first draft of the 2021 Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s report on climate change mitigation recommended shifting to plant-based diets and agricultural systems. Delegates dispatched by then-Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro—who presided over a mass burning of the Amazon rain forest, in part by beef producers—helped get that phrase removed. The IPCC flinching in the face of lobbying allowed the same ambivalence toward agriculture to carry over into that year’s Conference of the Parties for the U.N. Framework Convention on Climate Change, which was focused on establishing a framework to reduce methane emissions: Despite the fact that animal agriculture emits a third of global methane and that it is impossible to meet emissions targets without addressing the food sector, the question of the industry’s contribution to anthropogenic climate change was conspicuously left off the policy menu—even though food options offered to conference attendees were paired with a carbon calculator.

And...

“As long as meat consumption continues to rise globally, both climate change, from deforestation and methane, and pandemics will likely continue to rise,” says Matthew Hayek, an assistant professor in New York University’s Department of Environmental Studies and the author of the analysis, which reviews more than 100 articles studying the effects of intensifying animal agriculture on the environment and on zoonotic diseases—infectious diseases that come from animals.

As the climate warms, researchers have concluded that countries will need to produce more food, and more efficiently, than ever before. To address these current and future needs, the agriculture industry has adopted “intensification” practices: adding more “inputs,” such as machinery, hormones, and antibiotics, while increasing production.

The filthy meat industry in action, putting profits over the health of the planet

This week, the New York Times published findings from Unearthed, the investigative arm of Greenpeace U.K., regarding the funding of The CLEAR Center, a major research center for environmentalism and sustainability. The center is located at the University of California, Davis and headed by Dr. Frank Mitloehner. According to the report, it receives the majority of its funding from organizations directly connected to the agriculture industry.

Worse, CLEAR was conceived by a trade group — IFeeder, the nonprofit extension of the American Feed Industry Association (AFIA). IFeeder is "a livestock industry group that represents major agricultural companies like Cargill and Tyson," according to the Times. In addition to members of the AFIA, its advisory board has included Cargill and the North American Meat Institute, two more groups that represent the meat industry's interests.

The Times article, as well as several environmental researchers quoted within it, point out that CLEAR's research can't possibly be free from bias given the industry that backs it.

I find the constant attempt to portray "the meat industry" by some posters on here (and certain neoliberal news outlets) as a massive corporations only on here quite interesting - it's incredibly colonialist in nature.

Most food is still produced by subsistence farms, globally - which will include meat.

"The meat industry" is incredibly diverse from Cargills, who are the biggest company on the planet (and keenly developing synthetic meat substitutes), to tiny farms.
Indeed, even in Europe there are attempts to maintain small farms - the French have extensive rules on land buying that effectively keep lots of farms small, it just so happens that the UK has an average farm size greater than elsewhere in Europe.

A stab of reality for those serial fantasists who think most animals live on fluffy cuddly little farms with friendly farmers tootling long on bright red tractors

An estimated 99 percent of farmed animal in the US are living on factory farms at present, according to an analysis from the Sentience Institute (SI).

Using data from the 2017 USDA Census of Agriculture, which was released this month, it is estimated that 70.4 percent of cows, 98.3 percent of pigs, 99.8 percent of turkeys, 98.2 percent of chickens raised for eggs, and over 99.9 percent of chickens raised for meat are raised in factory farms.

SI also claim that virtually all ‘US fish farms are suitably described as factory farms – though there is limited data on fish farm conditions and no standardized definition’.

Global research also conducted by the non-profit organization SI, suggests over 90 percent of farmed animals worldwide live on factory farms.

Data source US Factory Farming Estimates

And in the UK:

O
Mine and Paulo's mate Vandana Shiva taking un the ultra processed vegan food nutters:
IIRC hasn't Shiva become somewhat controversial on recent years? I remember some good work of hers on monocultures and the spread of GM food way back when. She was very critical of the green revolution and her claims about farmer suicides have come under a lot of scrutiny for a dodgy use of statistics.

A stab of reality for those serial fantasists who think most animals live on fluffy cuddly little farms with friendly farmers tootling long on bright red tractors
I know someone who farms sheep. Their fields are very fluffy and cuddly. Perhaps they have dark secrets I'm not privvy to with monstrous fifty foot chickens. HOwever I'm not sure who you're referring to, since I don't think anyone here has said there aren't problems with capitalist industrial farming. Your solution is Linda McCartney pie in the sky

Last edited:
I know someone who farms sheep. Their fields are very fluffy and cuddly. Perhaps they have dark secrets I'm not privvy to with monstrous fifty foot chickens. HOwever I'm not sure who you're referring to, since I don't think anyone here has said there aren't problems with capitalist industrial farming. Your solution is Linda McCartney pie in the sky
Exactly what solution have I been proposing?

I'm assuing you, being vegan, would like us all to stop eating and buying meat.

If that isn't the case I'm happy for you to correct me
Try reading what I've consistently stated throughout this thread before opening your big, ignorant trap again.

Try reading what I've consistently stated throughout this thread before opening your big, ignorant trap again.
Opportunity given to share...rejected in favour of hyperbole.

Are you not a vegan? Or are you just someone who coincidentally repudiates animal products while campaigning that animal agriculture is immoral and environmentally toxic?

One is a spectacular impersonation of t'other

O

IIRC hasn't Shiva become somewhat controversial on recent years? I remember some good work of hers on monocultures and the spread of GM food way back when. She was very critical of the green revolution and her claims about farmer suicides have come under a lot of scrutiny for a dodgy use of statistics.

Yep. A huge swathe of scientists and experts - including a Nobel Laureate in Physiology or Medicine - have condemned her "tendency to nonsense":

Opportunity given to share...rejected in favour of hyperbole.

Are you not a vegan? Or are you just someone who coincidentally repudiates animal products while campaigning that animal agriculture is immoral and environmentally toxic?

One is a spectacular impersonation of t'other

If you're too lazy to read what I've written or use the search function, maybe you should keep your ignorant observations to yourself. I've stated my position very clearly on multiple occasions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom