Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye MEAT! How will the post-meat future look?

How reluctant are you to give up your meat habit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't say you didn't know anything about producing food willy waver

Why do you waste so much of your time and learned expertise giving out your professional opinion for free trying to refute "less than 2% of the population"?? :confused:
Because I'm a) passionate about food and food production - I urged people over and over again on the "other" meat thread to actually visit farms (crops and livestock). I worry (rightly, I think) that because agriculture employs about 1% of the population that people have no idea where their food comes from and this leaves them open to manipulation by the food processors and the supermarkets
And b)
It's my remit - I'm on a teaching and learning contract and I'm more aligned to knowledge exchange than research, so I read vast swathes of research and aim to disseminate them not only to students but industry and the public through things like open farm Sunday and outreach etc

Although, to add - I do get both "meat" threads mixed up because they've ended up in broadly similar places. I've really nothing against people choosing not to eat meat, eat what you like as far as I'm concerned - I'm more concerned with grappling with the issues that food production faces, ie moving away from relying on synthetic fertiliser produced from fossil fuels. This is going to need manure, which will necessitate some livestock production. Or; as George Monbiot has postulated (terrifyingly, in my opinion) that we rely on synthetic food production by industry, and possibly only eat veg alongside that.

Last edited:
I didn't say you didn't know anything about producing food willy waver

Why do you waste so much of your time and learned expertise giving out your professional opinion for free trying to refute "less than 2% of the population"?? :confused:
I think it's magnificent seeing the huge growth in people enjoying vegetarian/vegan diets - and the equally huge growth in flexitarians where people are choosing to eat less meat every week.

According to the Guardian, a record 500,000 people, of whom 125,000 were based in the UK, took the 2021 Veganuary pledge to eat only plant-based food in January. That figure was up by 100,000 from January 2020, and double the number of people who signed up for Veganuary in 2019. By the end of January 2022, the movement expects to surpass 2 million participants. A poll of 2079 UK adults by YouGov showed that around 4% were hoping to give Veganuary a go in 2022, suggesting that a total of 2.7 million people would join this year.

In recent years, however, it’s not just individuals who are getting into the vegan spirit. The beginning of 2021 saw major supermarket brands and other businesses doing even more to cater to the growing number of Brits who have turned their back on animal products. This January, companies like Harrods, Superdrug and Volkswagen UK have joined the Veganuary “workplace challenge” to show their support for a plant-based lifestyle.

Pre-2020 the food industry was already shifting more towards plant-based options: in 2019 roughly one quarter of food products introduced in the UK was vegan, as opposed to one in six in 2018.

Research on plant-based meat alternatives conducted by investment bank UBS in 2019 indicated rising interest in vegan lifestyle choices. Veganuary was introduced in 2014, and since then it has grown in leaps and bounds. From 2014 to 2019, UK’s vegan community swelled to four times its original size. The increased interest in plant-free living is also in keeping with some of what are predicted to be the biggest vegan food trends in 2022.

UBS’ research found that the number of people who tried plant-based meat alternatives increased from 48% to 53% between March and November the previous year. Of those who tried plant-based alternatives, approximately half said that they would continue to eat them at least once a week.

1663362525924.png

Staggering.
No links to peer reviewed papers?

Fuuuuuuck. :facepalm:

Also, I've quite literally explained what I do. I'm hardly going to put up personal details like my name or who I work for on an Internet forum, both of which would be on any papers I've written.
I've known of very few academics who teach on undergraduate degrees who don't at least have a relevant masters, usually a PhD/DPhil so you can assume at the very least I have a relevant masters.

I have, however linked a massive breadth of peer reviewed papers, links to discussions by other more well known scientists etc etc

This is like classic evangelism, maybe this stuff really is a religion.
That is because Ed has you on ignore, the online equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and going "la lalala" when presented with an argument you don't like

That is because Ed has you on ignore, the online equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and going "la lalala" when presented with an argument you don't like
Or totally fed up with bullshit and attacks, most other sites you'd be fucked off long ago i'm sure you'd agree
But don't let that get in the way of having another dig/swipe etc

Or totally fed up with bullshit and attacks, most other sites you'd be fucked off long ago i'm sure you'd agree
But don't let that get in the way of having another dig/swipe etc

I am just finding out how this ignore business works so I don't have to put up with "bullshit and attacks" and digs/swipes too 🙂

I rarely visit this thread as I find the willful ignorance and rejection of actual research in peer reviewed journals frustrating, but don't let that stop you having a good old swear while you are polishing your junior sheriffs badge.

I am just finding out how this ignore business works so I don't have to put up with "bullshit and attacks" and digs/swipes too 🙂

I rarely visit this thread as I find the willful ignorance and rejection of actual research in peer reviewed journals frustrating, but don't let that stop you having a good old swear while you are polishing your junior sheriffs badge.

It's your side that's always frothing about Poore and Nemecek - the largest meta-analysis of food systems to date.

It's your side that's always frothing about Poore and Nemecek - the largest meta-analysis of food systems to date.
which has often been questioned and whose conclusions " support an approach where producers monitor their own impacts, flexibly meet environmental targets by choosing from multiple practices, and communicate their impacts to consumers." It does not propose mass vegetarianism.

which has often been questioned and whose conclusions " support an approach where producers monitor their own impacts, flexibly meet environmental targets by choosing from multiple practices, and communicate their impacts to consumers." It does not propose mass vegetarianism.

The sentence before that is "the lowest-impact animal products typically exceed those of vegetable substitutes, providing new evidence for the importance of dietary change." btw didn't you share an article whose authors were funded by a US beef industry check off program?

The sentence before that is "the lowest-impact animal products typically exceed those of vegetable substitutes, providing new evidence for the importance of dietary change." btw didn't you share an article whose authors were funded by a US beef industry check off program?
Yes,a poor chioce by me. However, others have shared opinion articles from the Vegan Times or some such and been castigated as well.

If you are genuinely interested in the limits of Poore and Nemecek, google Poore and Nemecek debunked. You may not agree with the opinions but the articles such as Let’s discuss Joseph Poore and Nemecek’s study as it is regularly referenced. — Farmers Against Misinformation do point out its limits and short comings.

Yes,a poor chioce by me. However, others have shared opinion articles from the Vegan Times or some such and been castigated as well.

If you are genuinely interested in the limits of Poore and Nemecek, google Poore and Nemecek debunked. You may not agree with the opinions but the articles such as Let’s discuss Joseph Poore and Nemecek’s study as it is regularly referenced. — Farmers Against Misinformation do point out its limits and short comings.

I mean, it would be very easy to take that source apart, but honestly don't you think you need a better source than a blog post after castigating "willful ignorance and rejection of actual research in peer reviewed journals"?

I mean, it would be very easy to take that source apart, but honestly don't you think you need a better source than a blog post after castigating "willful ignorance and rejection of actual research in peer reviewed journals"?
But I am not refuting or rejecting Poore and Nemeceks paper just the skewed interpretations and the extrapolations taken therefrom, there is a difference.

I do have a problem with quotes from the Gruaniad and 'Nut Muncher Weekly' being used as any sort of cogent argument, but then again I willfully ignore these threads generally they devolve to the same old tropes.

Anyway, I have sausages to make....

Generally have three standards, a pork, white pepper, ginger and mace breakfast banger, a pork, white pepper, ginger, mace and sage herby banger, and a coarse ground fennel, chilli and garlic Italian style.
All handmade, our own spice mix, using free range Blythburgh pork Home - Blythburgh Free Range Pork

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom