Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye MEAT! How will the post-meat future look?

How reluctant are you to give up your meat habit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Naturli stuff is good, but I always get the cheapo Flora vegan marg which is excellent stuff.
It’s absolute Frankenstein food. Intensively manufactured seed oils, of which this product will probably have more than 1 and as many as 5, is one of the main reasons we have an obesity epidemic.

Also in the news (I'll be giving the insects a swerve, mind):

I suspect that cultured meat will have an easier time being marketed than insects. Moan about how irrational it is as much as you like, but guess what, people aren't fundamentally rational beings. Rational thought requires active effort. Otherwise the free market would actually work as its proponents like to claim it does.

I suspect that cultured meat will have an easier time being marketed than insects. Moan about how irrational it is as much as you like, but guess what, people aren't fundamentally rational beings. Rational thought requires active effort. Otherwise the free market would actually work as its proponents like to claim it does.

You will eat the bugs! :mad:

I don’t think I’ve seen cultured meat or bugs on the shelves at regular food shops.

I'm already a herbivore. I'd love to say it's for the environment and the animals but whilst I care for both, the bulk of my motivation comes from 1) health; 2) aversions. Dr Greger's "How Not To Die", after being tested for quackery (free of any), became a big hit in my house. I have often also felt uncomfortable eating meat/fish/dairy, I guess the cognitive dissonance manifesting as an aversion? Either way, it all worked out well in the end.
If your motivation comes from health, and as a herbivore if you are eating manufactured seed oils I really advise you to look into this.

You will eat the bugs! :mad:

Some people are already digging their heels in about that. Hopefully what will happen is that all the fuss and stupid culture war bullshit will be largely focused on bug-based food, and cultured meat slips into place while the idiots are distracted.

The slaughter-meat lobby might be a potential fly in that ointment, but I think economics will win out in the end.

Some people are already digging their heels in about that. Hopefully what will happen is that all the fuss and stupid culture war bullshit will be largely focused on bug-based food, and cultured meat slips into place while the idiots are distracted.

The slaughter-meat lobby might be a potential fly in that ointment, but I think economics will win out in the end.

Have you tried any cultured meat? I’ve no idea what it’s like, how much it costs etc.

The bugs will most likely be ground up and used as ingredients, I think.

Have you tried any cultured meat? I’ve no idea what it’s like, how much it costs etc.

The bugs will most likely be ground up and used as ingredients, I think.

I've not tried any yet, no. I assume that's because it's yet to reach critical mass. But as far as I can tell, there is no technical reason why it couldn't.

I think bugs are more likely to be used as animal feed.

Isn't Flora made from sunflower oil? I've cooked plenty of meat using sunflower oil. It has a high burning temperature which makes it ideal for such cooking.

The idea that seed oils are some dietary evil is just bizarre to me.

Flora =/= sunflower oil, but it’s not a good choice for cooking steak anyway.

Try a peanut oil or light olive oil.

"Frankenstein food" is such a fucking garbage term. It's emotive
But it really isn’t. Our food now is made up of garbage. Seed oils. Highly processed carbohydrates. Processed sugar. There isn’t a nutritious calorie amongst any of it.

"Frankenstein food" is such a fucking garbage term. It's emotive bullshit.

That was the intention tbf. Anti-GMO campaigners wanted to create a bogeyman without the hassle of needing to explain anything or persuade anyone.

On checking myself I feel the need to make a correction.

It seems Frankenstein’s monster’s diet of choice was one of nuts and berries.

I thought that sunflower oil broke down harmfully at high temperatures? I'd understood that lard ( :) ) and olive oil and rapeseed oil were better for cooking, why I changed over to rapeseed a couple of years ago.

It’s absolute Frankenstein food. Intensively manufactured seed oils, of which this product will probably have more than 1 and as many as 5, is one of the main reasons we have an obesity epidemic.
So the obesity epidemic is down to people using Naturili? Be sure to produce some supporting evidence to back up that claim. Or just STFU with your hysterical bullshit..

So the obesity epidemic is down to people using Naturili? Be sure to produce some supporting evidence to back up that claim. Or just STFU with your hysterical bullshit..
Not Naturili per se but seed oils in general (but you knew this is what I was saying). Along with highly processed food, refined sugar and carbohydrates, these unnatural foods are loved by the food industry. Cheap, tasty and long shelf life. Practically devoid of nutrition. It’s why people are so fat now.

When people discuss the 'obesity epidemic' they need to understand that the science on it is really not that clear... Nor can you infer from 'eating loads of refined white bread probably not good' that 'drinking soy products' is just as bad (even though the soy may even be 'more processed'). This bollocks about natural/unnatural (see naturalistic fallacy) doesn't really get you anywhere... That said I'm not particularly inclined to endorse vegan products; it's true that many are shit substitutes for their meat/dairy counterparts (vegan cheese is particularly egregious - like 1g protein/100g - wtf?). Key question really though is serious outcomes, easiest and least fallible way to get a grasp of what's going on... Not 'did they lose 5kg over this 3 month study' or something, but 'do vegans have higher rates of heart disease, higher rates of obesity' etc. No, they do not.

The root causes of these health outcomes (I'm inclined not to use 'obesity epidemic' because it has a tendency to be levelled against groups that already have it really fucking hard) lie in poverty, access to food etc. Eating refined foods isn't bad in itself, eating even slightly refined carbs specifically certainly has been hugely overblown... It has lead to the rise of new eating disorders like orthorexia (obsession with 'clean eating'), fed into by aforementioned naturalistic fallacy. What is very likely problematic is that people have to rely on these as their primary source of calories, and that they're relying on the absolute shittiest versions. Because they're cheap, because you can prep them in whatever short amount of time you have left between multiple shit jobs and childcare. Equally when making claims about the benefits of veganism etc you have to keep that in mind - vegans are going to tend to have more time and income, they're going to tend to be drawn from groups that are 'health conscious' and/or actively engaged with politics/environmental stuff. That's a huge selection bias.

To put it succinctly; science is unclear, don't worry too much about diet, make your choices based on ethics and try to avoid the worst of the processed food world. Cook from scratch when you can, and if you can't er... Fuck capitalism?

Last edited:
I don’t agree with eating refined foods isn’t bad in itself. Who is going to be healthier in the long run? Somebody who has a couple of slices of refined white bread with marge for breakfast most days or somebody who has a couple of eggs? We’ve been fed this “a calorie is a calorie” thing and it’s not true. We’re seeing an epidemic of diseases of the metabolism and it is from what people put in their mouths along with lack of sleep and the environment they’re living in.

But it really isn’t. Our food now is made up of garbage. Seed oils. Highly processed carbohydrates. Processed sugar. There isn’t a nutritious calorie amongst any of it.

Wrong. Calories are calories. The reason that there's an obesity epidemic is because many people are consuming more calories than they are expending in physical activity. Processed foods are easier to digest, why else do you think it's so easy to get fat eating them?

Not Naturili per se but seed oils in general (but you knew this is what I was saying). Along with highly processed food, refined sugar and carbohydrates, these unnatural foods are loved by the food industry. Cheap, tasty and long shelf life. Practically devoid of nutrition. It’s why people are so fat now.

That's contradictory nonsense.

That's contradictory nonsense.

Agree. A lot of the substitutes fail badly on the “tasty” front. Especially the ‘cheese’.

Also, the obesity problem isn’t down to just one thing, but foods engineered to be compulsive while non-satiating is certainly a factor. I don’t think that is overwhelmingly the case for the products we are talking about here, though.

I don’t agree with eating refined foods isn’t bad in itself. Who is going to be healthier in the long run? Somebody who has a couple of slices of refined white bread with marge for breakfast most days or somebody who has a couple of eggs? We’ve been fed this “a calorie is a calorie” thing and it’s not true. We’re seeing an epidemic of diseases of the metabolism and it is from what people put in their mouths along with lack of sleep and the environment they’re living in.

You should have both eggs and bread for breakfast. The former has protein for building and repairing your body, while the latter has carbs which you need for energy. If you're vegan you can substitute something else that's protein-rich, although I can't advise what because I'm not vegan myself.

Agree. A lot of the substitutes fail badly on the “tasty” front. Especially the ‘cheese’.

Also, the obesity problem isn’t down to just one thing, but foods engineered to be compulsive while non-satiating is certainly a factor. I don’t think that is overwhelmingly the case for the products we are talking about here, though.

I think they're getting close with some of the more high-quality meat substitutes. Quorn is delicious but unfortunately it's as expensive, if not more so, than meat.

If food doesn't fill you properly, then you're going to eat more of it to compensate. Stuff like fibre adds bulk to the food, filling the stomach quicker and causing it to send that "I'm full" signal sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom