Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye MEAT! How will the post-meat future look?

How reluctant are you to give up your meat habit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
And a reminder:

1.png

Greenhouse gas emissions per kilogram for different food groups. Adapted from Dr Hannah Ritchie/Our World in Data (2020) Data source: Poore & Nemecek (2018). Chart by Carbon Brief using Highcharts.

What percentage of meat do you think comes from people's back yards/chicken coups? And - practically - how many people can get their meat this way, even if they wanted to?

It's just more denial/whatboutery/excuses, and I'm surprised to see you joining in.

The message from science is crystal clear and supported by endless studies: eat less meat. It's as simple as that.
Denial/excuses of what? You are claiming meat is environmentally bad. What's the impact of eating eggs one collects from the chickens kept in the backyard? Or perhaps something bigger, if you have the land and the expertise to kill and prepare a lamb or a pig? How does that compare to a giant CAFO?

The message you're peddling is in respect of the environment, which is the subject here. I know people also claim WFPBD is healthier, but you can't equivocate between the two and I refute the evidence that says meat isn't healthy.

People have to eat. But this is the important bit: "Meat accounts for nearly 60% of all greenhouse gases from food production."

So people clearly have to change their diets, especially as meat consumption continues to soar.

Not sure where you're getting this 20% figure from either.

Is meat consumption soaring because more people are eating it or because people are eating it more?

Your conclusion, that people have to change their diets, doens't necessarily follow. You are just unwilling to accept the existence of alternatives

Is meat consumption soaring because more people are eating it or because people are eating it more?

Your conclusion, that people have to change their diets, doens't necessarily follow. You are just unwilling to accept the existence of alternatives

It's not my conclusion, it's the conclusion of multiple studies. Have you not read a single link I've posted here? Do you refute the conclusion of those studies?

It's not my conclusion, it's the conclusion of multiple studies. Have you not read a single link I've posted here? Do you refute the conclusion of those studies?
Again you ignore the point: no one is denying that we ought change how we farm meat now. The problem is your solution is to chuck the baby out with the bathwater because of an ideological bias. I don't share that bias and I don't believe we can't farm meat sustainably.

And not everyone agrees with those studies. For example: New methane emissions metric proposed for climate change policy

Also, answer the questions I asked

Not sure where you're getting this 20% figure from either.
The figures stated earlier claimed that 35% of CO2 came from all agriculture including from growing plants for food. Of that 2/3rds was due to meat production which makes about 20% of all CO2 emissions are due to meat production.

Looks like coffee is worse than pork. Shall we all quit that?
Also, both coffee and chocolate involve human slavery, but I guess that's whataboutery, so isn't admissible.

But after looking at that graph, I've realised that I'm probably better for the planet than a vegan who drinks coffee and eats chocolate, as I rarely eat beef these days, so it looks like I'm already doing my bit. And having no children puts me in the carbon miser category. I'm actually quite proud of myself now. :D

Looks like coffee is worse than pork. Shall we all quit that?
Sigh. And so the whataboutery continues.

I could be wrong but I suspect you eat far greater quantities of meat than coffee, but that doesn't matter anyway because at no point have I asked you to 'quit' anything. You just made that up.

But let's try another approach: the overwhelming scientific consensus is that people should eat less meat. Do you agree with that?

Im not denying that meat production does cause CO2 emisions, just about everything does. I was saying that instead of the 20% emissions caused by meat production you can make a bigger difference by tackling the othe much larger 80%. But this thread like many others has degenerated into an argument, not about saving the planet but about personal beliefs that eating meat is wrong.

That was the point from the start. You can see it from the poll options.

Pretty successful for a troll thread tbf.

Any post other than meat = bad with no other thought or consideration of the wider climate is whataboutery now. In the climate change forum. Got ya.

Also, both coffee and chocolate involve human slavery, but I guess that's whataboutery, so isn't admissible.

But after looking at that graph, I've realised that I'm probably better for the planet than a vegan who drinks coffee and eats chocolate, as I rarely eat beef these days, so it looks like I'm already doing my bit. And having no children puts me in the carbon miser category. I'm actually quite proud of myself now. :D
In the case of coffee you get a fuck load of cups for a kg of product. I'd imagine a kilo of beef for a lot of people doesn't go as far.

The problem with non-meat meat and other vegetarian alternatives is that they’re heavily processed which we shouldn’t be eating a lot of. Either eat fresh meat or vegetables or both. The weird middle ground is unnecessary.

That was the point from the start. You can see it from the poll options.

Pretty successful for a troll thread tbf.
I started the thread and it certainly isn’t about ”a personal belief that eating meat is wrong” as I’m a committed meat eater who has meat in most of my main meals.

The reason I started the thread was that i can see the inevitability that people‘s “meat habit” as I called it must change and I’m interested in how we will achieve that and what people’s attitudes to it are. As I said above, I’m surprised the number of votes in the upper half of the poll, as I expected most people to be so attached to meat eating that they would be reluctant to change.

As for arguments on the thread, that’s the responsibility of those individuals. If they can’t discuss a subject without being abusive that‘s not the fault of a “troll thread” is it?

Though I am eating less of that stuff than I was a year ago. Less than a lot of the time I was a meat eater too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom