Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bye bye Country Show (picnic on July 22nd?)

I like the way the "we can do it for ourselves" anarchist spirit has been scaled back to making sure the replacement picnic is attended by hardworking family types and that no-one gets too drunk or anything.

I like the way the "we can do it for ourselves" anarchist spirit has been scaled back to making sure the replacement picnic is attended by hardworking family types and that no-one gets too drunk or anything.
It's a Sunday afternoon picnic, you doofus, not an anarchist meeting.

:facepalm: :rolleyes:

Drunkenness is fine/desirable, surely? It's a festival. That's what I love about it - civilised inebriaton

Saturday is better for a 'session'.
Sunday more family friendly.

I don't think anyone's disagreeing on that are they?

Personally, I'd vote for Saturday. But that's just me.

Saturday is better for a 'session'.
Sunday more family friendly.
I go to the country show to meet lots of friends and their kids, chat, picnic, have a drink and something to eat and generally hang out. Like a lot of the urban picnics of the past.

If people just want to get rat-arsed and wolf down vats of lager, they're free to do so.

i think the idea is to wolf down loads of chucklehead AND meet friends and their kidsw, chat, picnic and look at funny veg sculptures - it can all be done

is there any chance of a poll vis - saturday or sunday? i don't feel like i can drink at all on a sunday, which would certainly put a dampener on things for me.

I had the idea of putting the picnic on a Sunday afternoon rather than a Saturday because I thought that it if it turns out to be a popular idea - and the initial feedback from Twitter suggests that it might be - it might be less likely to get The Man stirred up.

From what I can see, the Sundays are traditionally a fair bit more popular too.

That said, if people are more interested in a drink-fest then I'm clearly out of step.

I had the idea of putting the picnic on a Sunday afternoon rather than a Saturday because I thought that it if it turns out to be a popular idea - and the initial feedback from Twitter suggests that it might be - it might be less likely to get The Man stirred up.

From what I can see, the Sundays are traditionally a fair bit more popular too.

That said, if people are more interested in a drink-fest then I'm clearly out of step.

Maybe Sunday's busier because people know it's the last day and stuff's going to be sold off cheaply? :hmm:

Yes, that's right. Everyone in Brixton is a cheapskate.

:facepalm:

Well not only that :mad: I often see or speak to people on the Saturday (not in the park) who have totally forgotten it's on so make a point of going on the Sunday

A few people last year told me to go to the plant stalls on the Sunday evening as they always flog them off towards the end of the day and it was definitely busier on the Sunday evening than on the Saturday

I'm a cheapskate btw :p

A few people last year told me to go to the plant stalls on the Sunday evening as they always flog them off towards the end of the day and it was definitely busier on the Sunday evening than on the Saturday
I could be wrong, but I don't think the thousands watching the bands on the Sunday afternoon had all come up in the hope of securing a slightly cheaper plant later on.

:)

I could be wrong, but I don't think the thousands watching the bands on the Sunday afternoon had all come up in the hope of securing a slightly cheaper plant later on.

:)

Better bands on the Sunday? :hmm:

*tries to remember what day Top Cats were on*

It's interesting that the council should be putting the boot into the festival this year, when in 2010 they were busy trumpeting its success:

The Lambeth Country Show 2010 in Brockwell Park broke all records. 180,000
people (80,000 more than in 2009) enjoyed the usual dynamic variety of music,
dance, sports, art, animals, flower shows, a range of food, and the fun fair.
Over 100 charitable and community organisations also attended.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...qVsQru&sig=AHIEtbS1xtNTbneNDj_oSwxTpcRCR89I7w

Better bands on the Sunday? :hmm:

*tries to remember what day Top Cats were on*
And if that is the case, why do you think they might be putting better bands on during the Sunday?

If I was offered a gig there*, I'd definitely take the Sunday.

(*actually, I was last year, but then they really messed me around)

And if that is the case, why do you think they might be putting better bands on during the Sunday?

Because the better bands are able to handle their Sunday morning hangover :mad:

*curses editor*

and the Saturday bands go to church on Sunday :p

Back
Top Bottom