Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Buying a caravan

dessiato

🇪🇸 my spirit is crying for leaving
I’m seriously thinking of getting a small caravan. Maybe a two or three berth. To use for overnight fishing trip, and casual weekends away.

I have decided I’m old enough to think about this. Especially as I’m going to be living in Scotland for a while.

I am not convinced that a camper van would be wrong, but I remain unconvinced either way.

What are your thoughts, and recommendations?

Camper van every time. If it is just for short trips go for something like a VW Transporter that you can use, if needed, for everyday driving too. Pop top so you can stand up in it. Love mine to bits - it made a big difference at festivals last year, in terms of getting a decent night's kip.

Camper van every time. If it is just for short trips go for something like a VW Transporter that you can use, if needed, for everyday driving too. Pop top so you can stand up in it. Love mine to bits - it made a big difference at festivals last year, in terms of getting a decent night's kip.
The problem with a camper van would be the need for a scooter or similar to get around when it’s parked, but a tourer could be left at a site while I drive around in the car.

My brother & SiL brought a caravan a few years ago, and they love it too.

It has more space than a camper based on a van, table & seats that convert easily into a double bed, decent kitchen area, and separate shower room and toilet/washroom at the rear end. It has options to use gas or electric for the oven, fridge, hot water & heating. Plus buying new was a fraction of the price compared to a new camper.

Fully insulated, double glazed, TV, aerial on top, or portable satellite dish for Freesat - all handy in the winter months.

They go on loads of caravan club rallies, that seems to basically be an excuse for a piss-up, with food & entertainment to boot, as well as more traditional 1 or 2 week breaks, sometimes combining the two.

As both are now retired, they spend at least 3 months of the year touring.

2h.png

I really want a boat but think this might be used a lot more. And Mrs D isnt keen on sleeping in small boats.

The problem with a camper van would be the need for a scooter or similar to get around when it’s parked, but a tourer could be left at a site while I drive around in the car.
A camper van can be packed down pretty quick, and you can get "drive away" awnings for the extra space too.

If you are going to go away for longer periods, a caravan might be better. But I doubt it.

We've had the Caravan Vs Campervan debate in this house, and it's a bit swings and roundabouts:

Towing a caravan isn't great fun, and unless you're really comfortable with reversing it down country lanes, it can be a bit stressful.

Campervan are easier to drive, but every time you need to go shopping, drive to the pub, go and get a new gas canister, you've got to pack everything back up again.

Campervans need to MOT'd and insured - caravans need to be stored. If you got the room that's fine, if not, it's ££££...

Caravans need to be towed. You need something like family estate (weight) with at least a 2.0l engine (power) to do it safely. Nissan Micra won't do...

We've got a caravan. I won't pretend I enjoy towing it, but I do enjoy unhitching it, knowing that it can sit there for the next week. My kids love it (and the awning) it's warm and dry even in the worst weather.

You pays your money, and you takes your choice...

We've had the Caravan Vs Campervan debate in this house, and it's a bit swings and roundabouts:

Towing a caravan isn't great fun, and unless you're really comfortable with reversing it down country lanes, it can be a bit stressful.

Campervan are easier to drive, but every time you need to go shopping, drive to the pub, go and get a new gas canister, you've got to pack everything back up again.

Campervans need to MOT'd and insured - caravans need to be stored. If you got the room that's fine, if not, it's ££££...

Caravans need to be towed. You need something like family estate (weight) with at least a 2.0l engine (power) to do it safely. Nissan Micra won't do...

We've got a caravan. I won't pretend I enjoy towing it, but I do enjoy unhitching it, knowing that it can sit there for the next week. My kids love it (and the awning) it's warm and dry even in the worst weather.

These are all my issues. Friends list the same pros and cons.

An autocarvan towing a Smart/ similar microcar seems to be the best all-round solution to me...

side-front-view-of-rv-camper-van-motorhome-recreational-vehicle-towing-EBADEW.jpg

Handy to know. I’m now idly wondering how well a small caravan would fit in front of the block garage in the house I hope to buy.

My cars a 1.5l Mercedes B class although it appears it can tow a caravan having had a brief look.

We've bought a Bongo.

When I say we, I mean Mrs K, who has been hankering after one for years. She describes it as 'a project/wreck' depending on whether I'm listening - we pick it up next week. I'm told I'm building a kitchen for it.

It's a P reg (I think), and it's got about a billionty miles on the clock.

We shall see how this develops...

We've bought a Bongo.

When I say we, I mean Mrs K, who has been hankering after one for years. She describes it as 'a project/wreck' depending on whether I'm listening - we pick it up next week. I'm told I'm building a kitchen for it.

It's a P reg (I think), and it's got about a billionty miles on the clock.

We shall see how this develops...

The lack of a khazi or shower would end it for me.

A mate of ours has a massive camper van (we call it Bob's Bus) with shower and toilet but he locks the bog door and won't let anyone else shit in it, so nobody goes out with him.

Last edited:
Transporter vs caravan/motor motorhome...

If you're using the Transporter as your daily drive, it makes sense to have it as a camper. If not, it's a fairly pricey vehicle to have around and not use. Plus they need driving to keep them in shape.

Have you looked at bigger vans? In a few years, I'm going to switch my transporter for a crafter - sideways permanent bed, toilet, shower etc but in a pretty compact space.

Tbh, transporters are small. You'll def need an awning of some sort. I just bought a cheapish tent for that purpose.

20230411_191633.jpg

You could get a smallish motorhome and a scooter on the back to zip around on.

I used to love staying in pubs if I went of a weekend. Used to cost £25, last time I looked it's now over £100. I understand why but it's a bit too much for me. Although I am still tempted if I can get the dog on a bus to go somewhere local.

Yep. Mrs Spy is off with her sisters for a week next Thursday, so I’ve decided to do a few days in Devon and Cornwall on my own at the same time. I was looking at accommodation last night and pubs you’d expect to be £50-£100 with breakfast are now the best part of £150.

you're on :) and yes I did enjoy visiting and having good walks round then retiring to the bar of an evening and meeting/talking to people in the pub and then just having to roll upstairs to bed ❤️ and full english next morning that meant you don't have to eat all the rest of the day.

Tinners Arms in Zennor is special. They have live music (Irish type dominates) on I think Thursday although you'd need to check and I was bloody tempted to stay there for the night last year.

Also stayed a weekend at the first & last inn near land's end which was memorable, too

Back
Top Bottom