Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Buying an everyday classic

my car is a classic, yours is just old

:p

being serious, there's different age limits for different things, like free tax*, MOT tests being optional (personally, think that was a damn silly bit of law), exemption from different ULEZ schemes and so on

* - public service announcement, it's technically zero rate tax, you still have to go through the renewal process each year or declare SORN, a few people have got done because they have mistakenly assumed they don't have to bother with it at all.

They are talking about making MOT tests two yearly, I would still have it done with the service each year.

Vitesses's were much better and probably more expensive.
Yeah, of course but I don't think one would be in budget.

Saw a totally stranded Vitesse last week on a busy roundabout in Epping, the whole front nearside suspension had dropped. Looked awful. :(

This could be the car equivalent of a new job in Sudan.

Im sure dessiato will be most interested. :thumbs:
I left Sudan when it started to get dangerous a few years ago, and before i moved to Spain. I'm not going back for a while. Great country, if only the politicians were more democratic.

They are talking about making MOT tests two yearly, I would still have it done with the service each year.

We have zero MoT tests here and life goes on. The whole thing is a huge scam that seperates money from people who can least afford it.

We have zero MoT tests here and life goes on. The whole thing is a huge scam that seperates money from people who can least afford it.
I think the UK system of the MoT test centre also, usually, being a repair workshop is wrong. It encourages the tester to fail a vehicle so they can get the extra work doing the repairs. There's a vested interest in failing the vehicle.

The Spanish system is simpler. The testing station only does testing. Workshops don't test.

Looks fun

A slightly less 'tarty' A40 here:

You needn't go this far:

But a 1275cc engine, better shocks, brakes etc. and it could be a fun little everyday classic. :)

You needn't go this far:

But a 1275cc engine, better shocks, brakes etc. and it could be a fun little everyday classic. :)
I love that second one. Get it on the road and have some real fun

It's a hideous colour, too low (#stancenation2014) and it's been sticker bombed like a Civic from the noughties.

neighbour of mum-tat's had one of them, and that colour. and two other classic cars, and one older austin that had belonged to his dad.

he didn't really have the money to keep on top of them (he was one of the people that murdoch sacked at wapping and was 50+ then, and didn't work again) - i'm not sure if any of them were in a state to be much more than possible source of spares by the time he died

:(

It's a hideous colour, too low (#stancenation2014) and it's been sticker bombed like a Civic from the noughties.
All easily fixed. But, because its a racing saloon, would you want to, or would you keep taking it to Goodwood as it is?

All easily fixed. But, because its a racing saloon, would you want to, or would you keep taking it to Goodwood as it is?

I wouldn't take it to Goodwood in any condition because it'd be quicker to rollerblade around the track. If I were going to spend 20 grand on a track car I'd get a manual E46 330i, Bilsteins, roll bars off a 325ti, rear subframe from an M3, all new bushes, Recaros and a load of tyres.

1682594272508.png

Back
Top Bottom