Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Buying an everyday classic

I would have thought this was more up dessiato 's street; current bid is only £5000. Never raced, probably well looked after.

Q0upgH6eCesc16q6xZiOKreWaoAVyOdEat1VbywM.jpg

In this week's classic car buyer are a number of cars in budget or close, a Daimler sovereign, a TR7 An SType Jag etc.

When does your old banger become a classic car then? I mean, there's Austin fucking Allegro's on that site up there. :D

Asking for a friend with a 20 year old Mini Cooper S.
Iirc 20yrs makes the car vintage, not sure what makes it classic but surely an older mini is a classic? Wouldn't thank you for a new one

Iirc 20yrs makes the car vintage, not sure what makes it classic but surely an older mini is a classic? Wouldn't thank you for a new one
In the UK 'vintage cars' are from 1919 to 1930.

Pre 1905 - Veteran
1905 to 1918 - Edwardian
1919 to 1930 - Vintage
1931 to 1945 - Post-vintage (thoroughbreds)

I think 'Classic' is a far more difficult term to pin down and very much depends on who you talk to.

I think 'Classic' is a far more difficult term to pin down and very much depends on who you talk to.

my car is a classic, yours is just old

:p

being serious, there's different age limits for different things, like free tax*, MOT tests being optional (personally, think that was a damn silly bit of law), exemption from different ULEZ schemes and so on

* - public service announcement, it's technically zero rate tax, you still have to go through the renewal process each year or declare SORN, a few people have got done because they have mistakenly assumed they don't have to bother with it at all.

I've missed this. It's a project, needs a floor and other, mainly cosmetic, work. Sold for less than £600. It would have been great fun to do a resto-mod on.

Screenshot_20230420-082152_Lite.jpg

I’d only do enough to make it road legal, upgrade brakes all round and drop in a B series engine with a 5 speed box.

Local bodywork place does restorations and welding. They have a flat rate of 150 quid per day- but if anything needs fabricated rather than just cut and paste a repair panel, tgen it can be a time consuming business

It's old. You're going to spend time and money on it. If you truly love a Renault 4, then good and more power to you. But most people are going to go for something a bit more swank if it's going to take time, effort and money to keep it on the road.

You want something fairly basic, but still comfortable and reliable? Volvo 240 says hello.
Yes to a 240

I dont think you have the budget for any kind of classic or vintage car tbh. Restoring a semi decent modern one even that could be a bit much like the Celica... although maybe not if it's a decent runner.

I'm a bit confused about what you actually want now. To replace the Astra as a kind of fun project sunny days car?

I dont think you have the budget for any kind of classic or vintage car tbh. Restoring a semi decent modern one even that could be a bit much like the Celica... although maybe not if it's a decent runner.

I'm a bit confused about what you actually want now. To replace the Astra as a kind of fun project sunny days car?
This

Had a quick look round carandclassic and struggled to find anything useable/fun/different/interesting for your budget. :(

That Midget posted earlier looks a decent bet.

Back
Top Bottom