Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Buying an everyday classic

Mazda MX5 Mk 2 (Or Mk2.5...) Maximum grin to pound ratio and you can actually spend more time driving it than fixing it, because Mazda.

You could get a decent one for £3k.

:D

94269a8b4e6f4001a8a5ed52b589fb8d.jpg

How comfortable do you want the car, how comfortable does the drive need to be, will it cope with potholes? I quite fancy a smart and they can be had a lot cheaper.
£3K for a good one :D
I see Gordon Murray owned one for a while. I found this for £14K! Used 2005 Silver Smart Car Roadster for sale
View attachment 230007

Ok. So now the race is on to see which comes first. Him or me putting it in a ditch or it being eaten by rust.

View attachment 283002View attachment 283003

£2k and £530 insurance with young mister A319 being 21 with no NCB…

Let’s see if it’s a lemon on a bit of summer fun.

:D

94269a8b4e6f4001a8a5ed52b589fb8d.jpg

I've not ridden a bike for years. I think it might be unwise to start again now.

How comfortable do you want the car, how comfortable does the drive need to be, will it cope with potholes? I quite fancy a smart and they can be had a lot cheaper.
There's no way I'd buy a Smart. I've never felt more unsafe than I did in one of them. I'd rather walk the drive one.

When does your old banger become a classic car then? I mean, there's Austin fucking Allegro's on that site up there. :D

Asking for a friend with a 20 year old Mini Cooper S.
I curse the day I let my Citroën AX Menphis go to the crushers. The only model with electric windows and a sunroof.

There's no way I'd buy a Smart. I've never felt more unsafe than I did in one of them. I'd rather walk the drive one.
This is why you should buy one. Driving it at 20 MPH will feel like you are doing 60 MPH 😄
On top of everything else, will ULEZ be coming to a town near you any time soon?

Too many more things to consider. 2 door or 4 door, something sporty, something a little off piste
something British, Japanese, Italian etc. You are not going to get concourse for that budget.
Do you want a project or ready to run?, What era do you want?

There are dozens of A30's around, so plenty of spares I imagine. So many around that they even have their own class for racing.
1956-austin-a30-633f163591b0a.jpg

I had an Austin A35 'Estate' as my first car which was basically the A35 van fitted with side windows and a folding rear bench seat, It was a cracking little car and it took me from Birmingham to Snowdonia in about 5 hours lol, but it never failed and if I was on my own I'd blow up my li-lo airbed and kip in the back; thanks for the reminder, its bought back a load of very happy memories :)

I was going to suggest a Morris 1000 van, but they are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of your price bracket. :eek:

Ex-GPO used to go for fifty quid. :(

Back
Top Bottom