Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Buying a caravan

Horses for course. My dad worked in the industry writing about this stuff and they had motor caravans and camper vans at the same time and spent their early retirement going all over Europe and beyond (Iceland when you could to Morocco and Ireland to Turkey overland). I borrowed loads of them, when the kids were small courtesy of my dad and his job, but don't think I'll spend my own money on one whilst Premier Inns and Acor hotels are the price they are.

I'd join the Camping and Caravanning club as they have some good advice and also loads of small 'hideaway sites'.

If you buy a used camper van or motor caravan it won't depreciate anywhere near as fast as a 'normal' motor vehicle so, with low interest rates if you've got the cash sitting about it's not that expensive.

Camper vans are nice, but you are definitely camping on them. Basically a mobile double bed. If you get a pop up roof VW it drives much like a car and you can park them in normal car parks. Pain in the arse packing up every day though. Had some great short breaks in these.

(Stealth campers are a thing now, Transit Connects and the like that look like normal vans from the outside. I fancied one of these but Ms 747 said I wasn't 25 anymore...)

Motor caravans are not so much like camping and easy to drive if you are ok with bigger vans. But as pointed out a pain in the arse if you haven't got bikes, motorbikes or a tow behind car. We had. few great family holidays in these when the kids were kids. Never used a tow behind car, but on a couple of UK SE holidays Ms 747 drove the family car down separately.

Caravans are OK once you get used to them. But you need a big car to tow anything decent sized which can be a pain. Besides, they are fucking caravans. (There are some new tiny (just a bed) sporty caravans on the market now which look fun, but again you are camping).

Trailer tents and folding caravans are quite good in the warm. Had a couple of family holidays with those which were good. One of the best set ups we did for touring in France was a VW camper van towing a high end trailer tent. That worked for a three week summer holiday but the combined price of the rig was probably £70k.

You could also buy a Caracruiser. My parents had one, it was a crap boat and a not very good caravan. I think my dad got it cheap and made some money writing about it...
1681999824103.jpeg

images

Back
Top Bottom