Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How to buy a used boring estate car and moving to France and buying a replacement ...

Bloody hell 30 EU per guest !
I suppose they have to cover their costs, but it's effectively tourism - though dodging paying for accomodation ...

EDIT:- there is conflicting advice ....

View attachment 369248
AIUI, that is a law that is followed more in the breach than the observance. I've not heard of any expat Brits who actually had to file an attestation for guests, and I've not heard of anyone being asked for proof of hospitality on entry. Mostly, they're concerned with whether you have means to support yourself...though I've never had to prove that either on any trips I've made to France.

You will learn that the first rule of France is to try and ignore the rules and laws and authorities as much as possible.

Especially with anything to do with speed controls or gendarme brethalising stations. Everyoneeeee will be flashing their lights at you. Les flics !

I still think a car will be useful here in the UK for the next 6 months say. Your house will probs take 3 months+ to sell and you may want to be in France during the time yada yada. But have to pop back. And for Brittany you might as well just drive there... although I guess cycling and bike on the ferry is not a bad option too.

You will learn that the first rule of France is to try and ignore the rules and laws and authorities as much as possible.

Especially with anything to do with speed controls or gendarme brethalising stations. Everyoneeeee will be flashing their lights at you. Les flics !

I still think a car will be useful here in the UK for the next 6 months say. Your house will probs take 3 months+ to sell and you may want to be in France during the time yada yada. But have to pop back. And for Brittany you might as well just drive there... although I guess cycling and bike on the ferry is not a bad option too.
Système D

The one thing I am certain of is not cycling between Bristol and Plymouth in either direction.
My plan is to only cross the channel once.

If I manage to persuade my family to invest in this wreck of a house as a project, I might be able to camp out in it till the last minute, ... in any case I may at some point have to persuade an Urbanite to rent me a sofa for a bit - rather than hand money over to a UK landlord - but I may be forced to do that - it all depends on timing of French rental and visa.

For now I have to start getting rid of 40 years of accumulated crud.

This thread has grown beyond the car, perhaps you could ask a mod to move it to suburban or start a new one there as loads of people never look at transport and may have experience?

Also, i obviously know very little about your house and nothing about your family relationships. But the condition of a house makes not that much difference to the price when you come to sell it. Lots of builders who will flip places.

I’d really really recommend getting two different estate agents in to give you valuations before you make any decisions about giving it away.

The one thing I am certain of is not cycling between Bristol and Plymouth in either direction.
My plan is to only cross the channel once.

If I manage to persuade my family to invest in this wreck of a house as a project, I might be able to camp out in it till the last minute, ... in any case I may at some point have to persuade an Urbanite to rent me a sofa for a bit - rather than hand money over to a UK landlord - but I may be forced to do that - it all depends on timing of French rental and visa.

For now I have to start getting rid of 40 years of accumulated crud.

Why would you want to sell to family? You want to screw every last penny out of the buyer and that's easier with some scrandy you'll never see again.

I used to spend the whole summer holidays touring France in a VW T25 with the family. Haven't been driving for a few years in France but when I last went LPG was plentiful and saves a fortune, perhaps someone on here knows if that's still the case. If so dual LPG fuel car/vans can be bought pretty cheaply and brilliant cost-saving for touring France.

I also noticed Vauxhall Omega estates are cheap, a forgotten car, They're decent cars and a bit less run of the mill than most of that era and I think they're Ulez exempt.

Why would you want to sell to family? You want to screw every last penny out of the buyer and that's easier with some scrandy you'll never see again.

If there's profit to be made, I would sooner my family got it.

I reckon my little brother is sitting on savings, my other brother and BIL have built extensions and recently converted a loft and my nephew is a plasterer...
My brother helped me do the upstairs ceilings and then do up my front bedroom in 2016 that helped me out of a massive crash and who knows what worse state I would be in if not for that.

Last edited:
In terms of moving from one place to another - I sold my house in 2020 and spent a few months with nowhere to live. My stuff was stashed in a mates garage but self storage was another option. Shurgard offer the first month for a £1

As for temporary accommodation, in early 2021 (lockdown 3) I was doing 28 days Airbnb rentals for approx £1k, this was getting me a furnished en suite studio flat with all bills included. I specifically chose places with a washing machine and cooking facilities.

Plenty of options. I would be wary of relying on other peoples goodwill.

I've started on things.
Having seen the price of plaster disposal I am initially stuffing as much of it under the stairs as I can.
And I found the missing part of my coffee maker that fell down into what was once a kitchen.

I have a dismantled greenhouse to give away so I will ask my neighbour who's a pro gardener and may know a charity that needs one.

Plenty of options. I would be wary of relying on other peoples goodwill.
I was sort of meaning it would be good if it was an Urbanite I paid rent to - it's all going to depend on timing.
I seem to be accumulating French friends on FB - one of whom is based where I want to live so that may help me with getting a rental without being resident ... though I suppose I might need to visit as a foot passenger in advance of the move ...

I was thinking of like a VW campervan that's around the same size as an estate car just taller not an American juggernaut sized RV. :eek:
At the moment I'm struggling to remember what it was like driving anything ...

In terms of locating one, my ex. is a van conversion enthusiast ..

She might also decide to offer to buy this place - but I need to be careful - there's a good reason she's wealthy - but she has no real emotional hold over me any more - it was a misguided few months in 2003 - though she's friends with my disaster of a first GF and my sister... :eek:
I may end up playing them against each other...

Last edited:
gentlegreen, it's maybe best not to factor family or friends into the buying your place equation. You don't know what their plans are or their financial situations. Better to just sell your place in the usual way i.e. to a random?

And what about taking a holiday where you're planning on moving to, just to check it out? IIRC, you've not been there IRL yet?

And what about taking a holiday where you're planning on moving to, just to check it out? IIRC, you've not been there IRL yet?
Thanks to FB and Google Earth I already feel at home there. :D
They even have their own glasto/womad festival...
And it's a ferry ride from Brest ...

I'm signing up to all the local FB groups and starting to make some real connections.

It's an unusual place - lots of second homes - so a lot of my neighbours will come and go - pros and cons with that - I will hopefully make some friends from outside the area ...
The exact spot I'm focussing on actually has a bit of a village left - and the whole peninsula has actual life going on.
I reckon it will suit me very well and will be appreciated as a permanent resident and (eventually) bilingual in a holiday area - though I'm not allowed to work.
I will be signing up for volunteering.

I have to get away from this house and this life.
My fallback position is a far less impressive life in Swansea ...

Driving vans are a piece of piss IMO. Higher driving position is great. Obviously it helps to check your mirrors. Parking them is usually fine.

I drive one every couple of years and the hardest thing is remembering I need to change gear as I usually drive automatics.

I'm signing up to all the local FB groups and starting to make some real connections.

It's an unusual place - lots of second homes - so a lot of my neighbours will come and go - pros and cons with that - I will hopefully make some friends from outside the area ...
The exact spot I'm focussing on actually has a bit of a village left - and the whole peninsula has actual life going on.
I reckon it will suit me very well and will be appreciated as a permanent resident and (eventually) bilingual in a holiday area - though I'm not allowed to work.

It is very important to visit the area in winter outside of tourist season. Where I lived was fanastic for July and August, lots of bars restaurants etc. Rest of the year a couple of restaurants doing the same menu and one bar which was for the alchoholics.
It was very quiet. We used to do 100km round trips to get somewhere with some life.

I get all this but it's a big thing to do, moving country. So making sure it's where you really want to be seems really important.

Checking it out IRL will either confirm it's the right thing to do (and give you added vim for sorting everything out) or maybe make you tweak your plans a bit. And better to do that, if necessary, before going through all the admin etc. :)

I worked in a Language Faculty with French natives for 20 years.
I have started immersing myself in the language, culture and actualités

Since I retired in 2020 I effectively have had zero interaction with other humans and life is a struggle.
I need some real comfort in my life.

Relocating to the place I have in mind, in the homes I have been shown, my life would be spectacularly improved even without the human dimension which I have seriously factored-in.
After 10 years of window-shopping and research I reckon I have found the perfect place.

My destination is not in question - just how I get there ASAP. :)

Last edited:

Since I retired in 2020 I effectively have had zero interaction with other humans and life is a struggle.

Relocating to the place I have in mind, in the homes I have been shown, my life would be spectacularly improved even without the human dimension which I have seriously factored-in.
After 10 years of window-shopping and research I reckon I have found the perfect place.

If it's such an important thing, why mess about? Moving is stressful enough as it is, never mind to another country. There are companies out there who will do most of the hard work for you, both physical and administrative. Use them, it will be worth every penny, and get where you want to go with as little agro and faff as possible.

Book a ferry and a train ticket and just go. It will do you the world of good to get out of your comfort zone and have some space from the house stuff. Its a lot of stuff to sort out. Maybe a car is just one more faff?

If you do small things bit by bit you will feel more empowered. It sounds like you have had a hard 3 years since retiring (I sympathise, I have had health and mental health struggles with long covid) and being kind and gentle to yourself is a good move. You can't expect perfection with this house sale or move or where you end up either. Some social interaction and getting lost in France and asking for directions and going to random bars is in no way comparable to facebook groups or Google earth. Yes its scary making changes but also exciting!

I’ve got some sympathy here . I spent months and months going through the ins and outs of moving abroad and then met this woman , told her my plans and said I’m going to look at a place to rent in Portugal do you want to come ? So we did .

We split up tbh ( no great loss either way) but I needed a bump to get me here . The point I’m making is that sometimes we just need to jump.

Riklet ’s advice is as good as you’ll get

Last edited:
Driving vans are a piece of piss IMO. Higher driving position is great. Obviously it helps to check your mirrors. Parking them is usually fine.

I drive one every couple of years and the hardest thing is remembering I need to change gear as I usually drive automatics.
This. It's probably a bit of an irony for someone who drives his car with his arse six inches off the tarmac, but there's something very nice about sitting up high with a great view all around. Yorkie optional.

Bloody hell 30 EU per guest !
I suppose they have to cover their costs, but it's effectively tourism - though dodging paying for accomodation ...

EDIT:- there is conflicting advice ....

View attachment 369248
didn't know about this will have to investigate
Or a stealth van.
My problem is I have no confidence I could drive a large vehicle...
when did you last drive a 4 wheeled vehicle? (you can get "licence free" "cars" in France (lots of them in the countryside for those who lost their licence to drink driving (<---hint ))

Also want to big up the visit the area before you move advice especially out of season to see what's available.
I never did but I was moving from the suburbs of a capital city to a capital city and I was young and pretty (and careless too)

Brittany in the winter can be pretty grim. There are plenty of expats who ship over there, lock, stock, and barrel, and then learn over a winter that their summertime dream doesn't quite live up to a year round life.

At the moment I'm struggling to remember what it was like driving anything ...

i think most driving schools will offer a refresher course if you've not driven for a long time

two things can catch people with vans (or other large vehicles) - one is if they are used only to looking in the windscreen mounted mirror in a car, and with a van you've only got the two outside mirrors.

the other is the need to take a wider swing at corners with a longer wheelbase. bumping the back wheel over a kerb on a left turn is not good, it's even worse if there's someone stood there, or a bollard or something... (and you see dents in some hire vans to show this)

Back
Top Bottom