Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Driving to France / Germany

Having toured germany extensively over the last few years, i can state that i find the Autobahn genuinely scary...no matter how fast you go there'll always be someone going way faster, dodgy overtaking, cutting in, etc.
Be prepared to having to be fully alert at all times, and still experiencing the unexpected regularly.
Mrs K was in her element driving us all at full tilt. Absolutely fucking terrifying.

Mossell is beautiful with great wines made on steep slopes in relatively small batches. You need to pay about a Euro to have a slash in service stations in Belgium. Starts adding up. Due to German privacy rules google Maps is not as accurate as in the UK. If we had followed it's directions we would have driven down a flight of stairs to get through a village.

Mossell is beautiful with great wines made on steep slopes in relatively small batches. You need to pay about a Euro to have a slash in service stations in Belgium. Starts adding up. Due to German privacy rules google Maps is not as accurate as in the UK. If we had followed it's directions we would have driven down a flight of stairs to get through a village.

Pfft. Try harder next time.

IMG_4534.jpeg

I recall a holiday in Germany as a young kid enjoying the hairpin bends quite a lot! My parents must have liked the wine there as we returned a couple of times.

Thanks.

Apparently waze is OK but that's exactly the kind of nonsense I want to know about.

A lot of speed cameras in France are virtually invisible. They are just black posts about 4' tall and the national speed limit on all smaller roads is 80kmh or 50 mph.
main-qimg-828de8e07827c5bbb32ee049aac204f0.webp

I picked up 4 tickets on the way to my house a few years back and they do send the fines to you in the UK.
No points on your licence luckily and at the time they were only 30 Euros each because I didn't go more than 5kmh over the limit.
What this meant on my next visit was that I was driving along at 50mph with lorries driving 6' behind me sounding their horns and flashing their lights trying to make me speed up.
It's not conducive to relaxed driving.

I picked up 2 fines in Germany a couple of years ago, they sent them to the UK, only €17 each or something stupid, no way to pay online though, so binned them off. They take a picture of the driver, both mine had pics of me looking fabulous at the wheel, if you have a right hand drive car it will show your passenger's face, or like that guy did a few years ago, the Adolf Hitler mannequin placed in the passenger seat...

The first bit, between Koln and Bonn isn't so great, Initially you go past a massive chemical plant / refinery but once you get towards and past Bonn you are on what is known IIRC as the romantic Rhine which continues down to Koblenz.

And at Koblenz you have options also, it's there that the Rhine and the Moselle join and you can slightly change direction and drive up the Moselle into vineyard country, some great sights there also.

View attachment 430191
My home town is shown on that map. 😊

Yes. There is no sense of space. It's like stopping distances don't exist.

I saw one bloke who was about 2ft behind an artic, doing 70,with his arm out the window, not a care in the world. 😁

The autobahn was fine. Belgium was a bit hairy. 😁
Glad you made it ! I'm thinking of taking my campervan to France next year (via the tunnel), so would appreciate any tips & insights you have for there.

I have read the prev posts and thx to all who gave advice..... :thumbs:

Had a long drive from my mil's to the Gironde. Main things to note were the three hour wait for the Rayon ferry (this totally negating the time saved by not driving through Bordeaux), and that the car that will do 45mpg at 70 with two people in it only gets 39mpg with 5 people, luggage and going 80.

One of the lesser known good things about GB is that we are a bit of an outlier, in a good way, when it comes to road safety/deaths per million miles.

One of the lesser known good things about GB is that we are a bit of an outlier, in a good way, when it comes to road safety/deaths per million miles.
And an outlier, in a bad way, in potholes! :D

You need a first-aid kit in Germany to fully comply with the law.

And yeah, as klang intimated, 160 is a lot faster than 80. Even harder to see in a right-hand drive :facepalm:
Right hand drive makes junctions easy though. You look over and say 'I need to beside that kerb'. :)

Coming back from leave one year, and short on fuel, we went into Wankum to an Aral station because they took the fuel coupons. Having driven down from Fort William overnight, I wasn't at my sharpest. Filled up and set off... on the wrong side of the road. Traffic lights changed, and we are sitting there with three lanes of annoyed Germans heading straight at us. We survived. :)

Right hand drive makes junctions easy though. You look over and say 'I need to beside that kerb'. :)

Joining and overtaking on the autobahn? Not so much.

Nothing has beaten the Antwerp ring road for me though and I've driven extensively through Europe as well as some of the rest of the world. Wouldn't recommend Indonesia either personally. Great place. Just get someone else to do the driving and keep your eyes shut.

Joining and overtaking on the autobahn? Not so much.

Nothing has beaten the Antwerp ring road for me though and I've driven extensively through Europe as well as some of the rest of the world. Wouldn't recommend Indonesia either personally. Great place. Just get someone else to do the driving and keep your eyes shut.
I've driven the Antwerp ring quite a few times. The worst was hitting in rush hour, where an accident had reduced it to one lane.

Joining etc, your passenger door mirror becomes your main mirror.

OK, so we went UK -> Reims -> Nancy -> Colmar -> Freiburg / Black Forest -> Heidelberg -> Cologne -> Gent -> UK. 10 days, 9 nights. Spent 3 nights in the Black Forest, and 2 in Gent. Stayed in a mix of AirBnBs and hotels. We went to these places cos we wanted to keep the driving down to at most 3 hours a day, and usually 2. Usually got going about 11 and to the new place by about 2.

We didn't really know anything about any of these places before we went there, but there was pretty much always something going on. For example in Freiburg they have a huge open air farmer's market on a saturday morning and you can get "Europe's longest cable car" from the mountain (Schauinland) where we were staying down into the town. Reim and Cologne have amazing cathedrals. The square in Nancy is stunning (Place Stanislas) and they have a sound & light show every night in the summer, which is brilliant.

We did the boat tour in Gent and also took a kayak out onto the river, which was a laugh. Belgian waffles are always good and we went to a great little pub on one of the evenings which my 12 year old daughter liked cos there was a picture of boobs on the wall. (Trollekelder). Gent's a great place, like Amsterdam but without all the twats, would recommend it.

Driving wise, everything was great. The French motorways were pretty much empty. We had that badge thing that somebody mentioned before, that was really good. Think it cost about 30 euros in tolls. Autobahn was fine, just like a normal motorway but people were doing 100 in the fast lane. Cologne requires the clean air thing but is really easy to get into and out of. The only thing to think about is Gent - they do a park and ride but the one we used had no ride. It was just a normal bus into town. We had booked an early train back, so we moved the car into a car park in town on the last night. That was loads cheaper then leaving it there all the time (like 6 euros instead of 60). They also have their own clean air licence thing. There really are very few cars in the centre.

Oh, and you can use tesco vouchers to pay for the Euro Tunnel, and they count double, so it makes it loads cheaper. Petrol is also generally cheaper, but not by loads.

I'd recommend it. Even the kids seemed to like it.

Back
Top Bottom