Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Burger Thread. Yes!

Hmmm!!

Was at a seaside pub in Weston-super-Mare yesterday and was tempted by a build your own burger menu option

I plumped for a BBQ Pulled Pork burger, topped off with bacon and a grilled field mushroom - with high hopes - it was "alright" if a little bit on the hot 'n' spicy side for my taste

There is no photographic evidence because, to be honest, it wasn't worth it - my burger craving has not been satiated thus far

Just had a lovely quarterpounder with cheese, bacon and onion outside the local car boot sale, which itself was rather disappointing.

Just had a lovely quarterpounder with cheese, bacon and onion outside the local car boot sale, which itself was rather disappointing.

Swings and roundabouts, innit :). I shall be having burgers with fried shallots, garlic, roast peppers and sauerkraut tonight, served on some home made toasted wholemeal muffins. I'm already salivating.

Managed to bag myself a huge bargain, 16 quarter pounder burgers at Sainsbury's (in the reduced section) for £4!! 14 of them are currently chilling out in my freezer :cool: burger bargain ftw.

Onion fried or raw?
Red onion or white?

Tricky :hmm:

I can't remember who or on what thread - but there's a very elegant solution to the fried or raw quandry

Fried BUT STILL RETAINING some of the crisp - "par-fried" or even al dente, if you will

I am not fan of raw onion generally. Can cope with a little very finely sliced red in a salsa or salad with lots of dressing but that's about it.

On a burger I like really soft caramelized onions. :)

Took my Dad out for the day yesterday and popped into a pub on the way back for a bite to eat, had a huge wild boar & chorizo burger, t'was lovely. The boar was quite dry but the juices of the chorizo was just enough to give it some moisture, it was so tasty, I didn't want to spoil it with any sauce, just had lettuce & tomato and a small quantity of very mild coleslaw.

Unfortunately no pictures :( It didn't last long enough!

oomfoofoo said:
Took my Dad out for the day yesterday and popped into a pub on the way back for a bite to eat, had a huge wild boar & chorizo burger, t'was lovely. The boar was quite dry but the juices of the chorizo was just enough to give it some moisture, it was so tasty, I didn't want to spoil it with any sauce, just had lettuce & tomato and a small quantity of very mild coleslaw.

Unfortunately no pictures :( It didn't last long enough!

:cool:

How are you doing? Not read you much around these parts of late.

• Atlas Burger - (1/2 lb beef steak burger, beef tomato, cucumber, rocket, mature cheddar, burger relish)
• Outback Burger - (1/4lb kangaroo burger, BBQ Sauce, mozzarella, lettuce, tomato, rocket)
• Texan Burger - (1/4 lb kangaroo burger, mature cheddar, chilli BBQ sauce, lettuce, tomato, rocket)
• Inca Burger - (1/4 lb alpaca burger, piri piri sauce, jalapenos, chorizo, tomato, lettuce)
• Sahara Burger - (1/4 lb camel burger, hot sauce, chillies, Jalapenos, Lettuce)
• Wild French Burger - (1/4 lb wild boar burger, goat’s cheese, lettuce, tomato, rocket, caramelised onion, garlic mayo)

:hmm:

After the kangaroo dissage on this thread recently I'm thinking the alpaca or the....camel? Hmm...

:cool:

How are you doing? Not read you much around these parts of late.
I'm good thanks :)
I've not been on here much to be honest, been stupidly busy at work recently, out of 7 of us, 4 are off sick and 2 are on annual leave, so I've barely had time to scratch my arse let alone come on here! :(:mad:
How are things with you, I've not kept up with any of the regular threads?

So I made my own sweetcorn relish and jalapeno relish to go with my (seemingly endless) supply of burgers, courtesy of the tramp's buffet at Sainsbury's. The sweetcorn one is just amazing, compliments onion and garlic so well with it's sweet tang. The corn provides a nice burst of texture throughout the burger too. One thing I've oddly never had on a burger...brown sauce. No idea why, the thought has never occurred to me, brown sauce has always been the reserve of rashers of bacon or just spread right onto cheap, pappy, supermarket white bread.

Browns sauce has no place on a burger. Lets just get that straight right before we continue.

Onions, depends on what else is going on. A Whopper type wouldn't be the same without the crunchy white onions, but on a softer less busy burger then caramelised fried ones are usually the winner.

Callum I nearly bought some muffins the other day while burger shopping. I couldn't do it man. I need time to come round to this - it just made me think of Sausage McMuffins :hmm:

Browns sauce has no place on a burger. Lets just get that straight right before we continue.

Onions, depends on what else is going on. A Whopper type wouldn't be the same without the crunchy white onions, but on a softer less busy burger then caramelised fried ones are usually the winner.

Callum I nearly bought some muffins the other day while burger shopping. I couldn't do it man. I need time to come round to this - it just made me think of Sausage McMuffins :hmm:

I'm still adamant that muffins make a better vehicle for a burger than the traditional roll/bun/bap/whatever you want to call it does. They never fall apart, they soak up juices nicely, there's more to them and I like the semolina dusting that most of them have. The only problem with them is that some brands are chewier than others, chewy muffins make it hard for the burger to stay centered when you're eating it, the burger tends to slide around a little so you have to utilise your little fingers to keep the sod where it should be! Also, they stay fresher muuuuch longer :)

Don't know if anyone has already mentioned this, but you get a fantastic burger from one of the meat stalls at the farmers market in Manchester Piccadilly Gardens, which runs every couple of weeks I think*. I think the meat stall is called Savin Hill, and they also sell Cumberland sausage barms too, with the usual fried onions, relish, cheese etc. Great meat, and around £3.50 to £4 - worth every penny. :)

* not much use to those who don't live in the area of course.

Back
Top Bottom