Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Burger press, load of old bollocks or not?

I have a set of stainless steel cooking rings (with a tamping device) that is perfect for divvying up mixes (meat or otherwise) so having a dedicated burger one seems a bit weird. I don’t have a steamer for veg so just improvise with a collander, a lid and a pan of boiling water.

Do they ever make square burgers/presses? To fit better in a sandwich?

I have a memory of a US burger chain that does indeed make square burgers - don’t know if they operate over here?

eta - I see its been answered above - White Castle, that’s it.

Anyone use a burger press? I normally form burgers by hand but may need to enter the21st century soon and get one. Do i need to spend a fortune to get a decent one?

Another alternative I’ve seen fancy/artisan “burger chefs” use is a large-ish circular metal pastry cutter, placed on the hot pan, into which they press the burger meat, then when part cooked, they lift off the cutter and flip the burger. Works pretty well IME and does give a better cooked shape/texture than hand formed.

Do they ever make square burgers/presses? To fit better in a sandwich?

I've never seen a purpose-built square one (my own burger-press is a 1970's Lakeland Plastic hand-me-down) but we've done the following to make squarish burgers on some big-arsed ciabattas we got from the bakery that were doing stale.

Flatten a sheet of greaseproof paper on a chopping board
Dollop your burger mix on top of it (having a slightly eggier than normal mix helps with keeping it together)
Roll/press it down with a rolling pin to cover the greaseproof paper to give yourself a sheet o' mince. A spot of oil on the rolling pin usually helps with any stickiness
Cut in to squares using a pizza cutter; if your pizza cutter it sharp enough it should cut/score the greaseproof paper as well, giving you a relatively easy method of carrying them about. Kitchen towel under the greaseproof paper can make the cutting more effective, just be careful of it sliding about

The above wasn't perfect, but we did get a bunch of more-or-less intact squares that we could slide off the paper and on to the grill.

Unless you're going to be making burgers every week, don't bother.

I do use my egg slicer and even have a proper spaceship egg boiler/poacher, but we eat a lot of eggs. (Also the slicer fits in the cutlery drawer).

If you're really curious, add it to your evil Amazon wishlist and relieve someone of the effort of thinking of a gift for your next birthday or Christmas. (They don't have to buy from Amazon).

I've no idea how my post led to that 😳

It was the one above you about Hitler. Mis-quoted joke, basically.

Really? I thought they were famous for being Harold & Kumar's destination in that stoner movie.
They were famous long before that. I lived in the US in the 80s and I knew they did square burgers despite living in a state that didn't have any White Castles.

I've never needed one, because I don't buy the kind of cheap and nasty burger patties that fall apart when you try to cook them. Gross.

Stopped in to McDonald's for a small bite as was picking up my partner from hospital and thought I might be there a long time. I think I'm going to start boycotting the ones that do uber eats and similar, the wait time can be awful. This was really bad, like 20 mins. The one near my work is similar, I didn't got often, but I've stopped because it takes ages, not enough staff I guess for all the extra requests.

Used the time to fill in the survey on the receipt (get a quarter pounder and chips for £1.99) and had a moan, got a free medium meal today. I'd still rather have my food quickly, but hey, better then nothing.

Too many deceased posters on this thread - I love talking about burgers but seeing all those that also liked talking about burgers and are no longer here makes me feel sad.

Anyway, carry on, not criticising the discussion at all just feeling a bit sad seeing all the RIPs on peoples' names

Much love to everyone

Back
Top Bottom