Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

I guess it's good that someone in Whedon's programmes can put on a convincing accent! :D

Tbf I never had a problem with Spike's but it's possible that I've been blinded with adoration for that one.
:D true!

I think River's might be the worst :eek: or equal worst with Kendra. I mean what the holy fuck is that? I had to put the subtitles on because I couldn't understand what she was saying :facepalm: You'd think the actual London-born person she was acting opposite would have had a word. Or fallen about laughing. I have to skip it now because it's too cringe.

The absolute WORST is Drusilla and NOBODY ever talks about it ever.

Shows that you can get away with anything provided you're cool as fuck!! :)

Some actors have a natural talent for accents, but most don't. On films there is the budget and time for voice coaches and rehearsals, on TV series there isn't, so actors are usually left to their own devices. I don't mind a dodgy accent if the performance works in other respects. Juliet Laundau as Drusilla may not have had the most authentic of Cockney accents, but she did scary crazy so well, who cares.

Personally I thought Spike's accent was not convincing but it seems to be a minority opinion and yes, the performance is what matters

The actress playing Kendra got screwed by them suddenly requesting an authentic Jamaican dialect / accent that she had to learn in a few days, you can see it throws off her whole performance.

"Top o the mornin to ye" Angelus is my favourite Angelus :D

:D true!

I think River's might be the worst :eek: or equal worst with Kendra. I mean what the holy fuck is that? I had to put the subtitles on because I couldn't understand what she was saying :facepalm: You'd think the actual London-born person she was acting opposite would have had a word. Or fallen about laughing. I have to skip it now because it's too cringe.

Oh poor Kendra :D
Apparently she really didn't want to do the West Indian accent as they only told her just before starting filming, it was supposed to be something else.
She was really cross as she would have got a coach.

I wonder if we notice the dreadful British accents because it's ours? I mean maybe people in the southern states think Fillion's is terrible.
You're no doubt right.

Though tbf I'd still prefer a poor British accent that's consistent with the character than what they did in Frazer, when (Mancunian) Daphne's brothers came over. They used British actors but one was a cockney and one was Scottish. WTF is that all about?? :D

This thread is so old, we've now recycled back round to topics discussed twice before!

May 2014:
I believe the transition of Spike's accent (starting off posh moving to cockney) much more than Angel.
Angel's Irish accent is cringingly awful.

August 2013:
Also, when all the adults start acting like kids in that candy-bar episode, did anyone else notice Giles go all Dick van Dyke? Why do American shows think the English accent goes Fauntleroy/urchin: cockernee: terribly, terribly posh as a person gets older? And why do English actors not object??!!

In both cases, the conversation continued on about accents. Often with the same people now doing it again!

No criticism, just a wry observation.

This thread is so old, we've now recycled back round to topics discussed twice before!

May 2014:

August 2013:

In both cases, the conversation continued on about accents. Often with the same people now doing it again!

No criticism, just a wry observation.
Well we haven't got anything new to discuss :(:D

I'm not sure if i should start a firefly thread or just talk about it here.

You're no doubt right.

Though tbf I'd still prefer a poor British accent that's consistent with the character than what they did in Frazer, when (Mancunian) Daphne's brothers came over. They used British actors but one was a cockney and one was Scottish. WTF is that all about?? :D
[Thor] he's adopted [/Thor] ? :D

You're no doubt right.

They weren't all British actors. The Cockney I saw recently in some American crime show... *heads to IMDB*

They weren't all British actors. The Cockney I saw recently in some American crime show... *heads to IMDB*
Sorry to go back to this, but this makes the Frazer thing all the more bizarre. Why would you hire someone who needs to put on an accent, and then have them use a completely incomparable/ridiculous one?? :D

You're no doubt right.

I was just talking to my mum about this the other day.
That was ridiculous :D

Back
Top Bottom