Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Village, Market Row, Pope's Road, Lost In Brixton, Club 414 & Ton Of Brix - Taylor McWilliams and Hondo's Brixton Empire

maybe i misunderstood, but I thought you were stating that businessmen were investing in Brixton because they thought they would make money.

You clearly havent been reading my posts on this thread.

Go back and read my posts.

Ive stated clearly my views here on this thread.

Another thing to be born in mind is why big capitalists like Hondo and Sports Direct take an interestin Brixton.

Given that central London is being gradually gentrified Brixton is still a good opportunity to possibly make a profit .Get in now build and rake in the high rents that are likely in near future. May not happen but its a business decision.

Have you made a mistake with your post? I got an alert yet you have said nothing when I look at the post. Youve missed something out.

I'm writing a piece about Hondo (owner of Brixton Village, Market Row, Lost in Brixton, most of Pope's Road and Club 414) and their billionaire DJ owner Taylor McWilliams.

They're currently trying to evict Nour from their home of 20 years, and I understand they kicked out the artists from the Village too. Would love to hear more about the negative impact they're having on the community.
(PM if necessary)!

Even through the original draft was backed up by plenty of evidence, I had to tone the article down after being given legal advice (thanks to our shitty libel/defamation laws, rich companies can easily crush criticism), so here it is:

Even through the original draft was backed up by plenty of evidence, I had to tone the article down after being given legal advice (thanks to our shitty libel/defamation laws, rich companies can easily crush criticism), so here it is:

There's a broken image icon (first image in Brixton Market section).

Good article despite having to be toned down.

There's a broken image icon (first image in Brixton Market section).

Good article despite having to be toned down.
I'm not seeing a broken image but thank you for the comments!

One of the sections I took out was about McWilliams and his DJ pals - I described them as "a collective of outstanding wealth, power and upper-class privilege." I felt it relevant to reveal his privileged background, his upper class/royal connections and connecting it to how he's changing Brixton.

This is what his DJ collective told The Irish Sun:
When we first started going to Ibiza it was 20 years ago and there was very little VIP experience available and it certainly wasn’t the VIP culture that we wanted to bring to central London. The music and the vibe of the island is what we cherish and wanted to bring home with us. The anything goes, hedonism, free spirited hippy fun combined with cutting edge house music.

So Hondo tell everyone that they've offered alternative premises to Nour, suggesting that it's their fault for not accepting it and moving on - and then there's this (from last month):

surely they could have put the substation where Lost in Brixton is, and then maybe the businesses that were already there wouldn't suffer outages

Whilst I have no issue with this lad being a DJ as his "Day Job", and I detest his extra curricular activities with Hondo, that video fits the thing of his music.

Vacuous music for vacuous people.

But outside of that... Wheres the base line, where the breaks, wheres the melody? And it took FOUR people to write that? It almost sounds like they bought a drum loop and let it play for a bit.

Shame on him (now, for both sides of his work)

Whilst I have no issue with this lad being a DJ as his "Day Job", and I detest his extra curricular activities with Hondo, that video fits the thing of his music.

Vacuous music for vacuous people.

But outside of that... Wheres the base line, where the breaks, wheres the melody? And it took FOUR people to write that? It almost sounds like they bought a drum loop and let it play for a bit.

Shame on him (now, for both sides of his work)
It's the soundtrack to his privilege, wealth and easy opportunities.

Sure has changed in ten years

Brixton Village, March 2010 - the start of regeneration and gentrification

Google housekeeping dj collective and this Brixton Buzz article comes up at number three. Taylor isn't going to be happy about that.

:thumbs:
It's had HUGE traffic on the site too. I think the activists did a brilliant job of reminding the billionaire socialite about what he's doing to the lives of people who don't live his party lifestyle.

Ive had a look at the Planning Statement on the long list of documents on the Lambeth planning portal. Its the best to look at first to get overview of the planning considerations. Unfortunately it has no pictures.

The scheme has plus and minuses.

The weakest part of the application is the height and affect on the adjacent Brixton Conservation Area ( BCA). It is as Brixton Buzz article shows a visible intrusion on the local Conservation Area streetscape. The site the proposed building is on is just outside the BCA. If it was inside I doubt it would get through planning.

Throughout the document and likely at planning committee the applicant is pushing the idea that this is a "new local landmark". So a positive contribution to Brixton townscape.

I do think in opposing the application this is the weak link in the application.

To argue its a "New Local Landmark" is pushing it a bit. The applicant is saying its ( in applicants view) high quality design by famous architects company justifies this "Landmark" building.

The plus points in application.

• At ground level the public realm will fit in with existing covered markets / Popes road and improve the space. The applicant is offering to demolish the existing toilet block and reprovision in ( says toilets will be free to use) in the development thus freeing up space for improved public realm.

• Hondo say they will do a deal with Impact Brixton to rehouse them to manage the affordable office space. If this is not to be watered down at later stage it should imo be written into a Section 106 agreement. Planning guidelines mean that a development of this size will be required to have a small percentage of affordable office space. Impact Brixton are one of the Councils favourite projects. Its clever move by Hondo to dangle this large carrot in front of Council. Brixton BID are likely to be falling over themselves to support this application partly due to this. Hondo spend a lot of time going on about this.

• Its going to be office space not a hotel. Office space is needed.

I had a look at Energy and Carbon footprint in the Planning Document. Its going to be BREEAM excellent. However I notice its not going to be able to be retrofitted to be part of decentralised enegy supply. Nor is it going to be carbon neutral. Its going to fulfill planning obligations and no more than that.

As with a lot of new planned developments its not cutting edge architecture to meet challenge of climate change.

I do feel that it should be capable of being linked up to decentralised energy supply in the future. As this is one aspect of moving to zero carbon future. It also was one of the better ideas in the Brixton Masterplan.

So trying to be dispassionate about Hondo, the company that trying to evict Nour Cash and Carry, this application is a mixed bag.

Its the height and imposition on the BCA that is the problem. As CH1 says its overdevelopment of a small site. Like the Hero of Switzerland site in LJ the developer is trying to maximise the profit they could get out of the site by building high.

Im also wondering if it will really improve things for Brixton Village. Will it improve footfall? Or will the new food court and retail space in the ground level of the new development be more competition for Brixton Village existing traders?

There is also little that Ive seen yet ( perhaps someone else looking at docs might put me right) on how public the public space will be. Ive seen on large developments in the City and West End that "public" space on new developments is heavily policed by onsite security. With lists of rules. The question is will this new public space indirectly discriminate against the less fortunate locals who hang about central Brixton?

A further point is that the applicant is making big claims about improving Popes Road but I wonder what will become of the street traders now operating in Popes road? I can see them being displaced by this development.

Last edited:
Ive had a look at the Planning Statement on the long list of documents on the Lambeth planning portal. Its the best to look at first to get overview of the planning considerations. Unfortunately it has no pictures.

The scheme has plus and minuses.

The weakest part of the application is the height and affect on the adjacent Brixton Conservation Area ( BCA). It is as Brixton Buzz article shows a visible intrusion on the local Conservation Area streetscape. The site the proposed building is on is just outside the BCA. If it was inside I doubt it would get through planning.

Throughout the document and likely at planning committee the applicant is pushing the idea that this is a "new local landmark". So a positive contribution to Brixton townscape.

I do think in opposing the application this is the weak link in the application.

To argue its a "New Local Landmark" is pushing it a bit. The applicant is saying its ( in applicants view) high quality design by famous architects company justifies this "Landmark" building.

The plus points in application.

• At ground level the public realm will fit in with existing covered markets / Popes road and improve the space. The applicant is offering to demolish the existing toilet block and reprovision in ( says toilets will be free to use) in the development thus freeing up space for improved public realm.

• Hondo say they will do a deal with Impact Brixton to rehouse them to manage the affordable office space. If this is not to be watered down at later stage it should imo be written into a Section 106 agreement. Planning guidelines mean that a development of this size will be required to have a small percentage of affordable office space. Impact Brixton are one of the Councils favourite projects. Its clever move by Hondo to dangle this large carrot in front of Council. Brixton BID are likely to be falling over themselves to support this application partly due to this. Hondo spend a lot of time going on about this.

• Its going to be office space not a hotel. Office space is needed.

I had a look at Energy and Carbon footprint in the Planning Document. Its going to be BREEAM excellent. However I notice its not going to be able to be retrofitted to be part of decentralised enegy supply. Nor is it going to be carbon neutral. Its going to fulfill planning obligations and no more than that.

As with a lot of new planned developments its not cutting edge architecture to meet challenge of climate change.

I do feel that it should be capable of being linked up to decentralised energy supply in the future. As this is one aspect of moving to zero carbon future. It also was one of the better ideas in the Brixton Masterplan.

So trying to be dispassionate about Hondo, the company that trying to evict Nour Cash and Carry, this application is a mixed bag.

Its the height and imposition on the BCA that is the problem. As CH1 says its overdevelopment of a small site. Like the Hero of Switzerland site in LJ the developer is trying to maximise the profit they could get out of the site by building high.

Im also wondering if it will really improve things for Brixton Village. Will it improve footfall? Or will the new food court and retail space in the ground level of the new development be more competition for Brixton Village existing traders?

There is also little that Ive seen yet ( perhaps someone else looking at docs might put me right) on how public the public space will be. Ive seen on large developments in the City and West End that "public" space on new developments is heavily policed by onsite security. With lists of rules. The question is will this new public space indirectly discriminate against the less fortunate locals who hang about central Brixton?

A further point is that the applicant is making big claims about improving Popes Road but I wonder what will become of the street traders now operating in Popes road? I can see them being displaced by this development.
It'll be another sanitised faux 'public' space with the development - and its no-doubt upmarket rooftop restaurant - being another huge step towards the total gentrification of the area. The building is wildly out of scale and totally destroys the historic view along Electric Avenue.

There is little architecturally attractive about this building - several people that it looks like the kind of unloved blocks that went up in the 60s - and the only reason it might achieve the self-professed 'landmark' status is purely because of its enormous size.

Pushing through the planning process during the coronavirus crisis seems particularly cynical, as is expecting 'normal' people being able to navigate through many hundreds of jargon-heavy planning documents and provide suitably-worded objections.

This really feels like the developers and Lambeth are all nice and cosy on the deal. Has anyone heard anything from their local councillor concerning such a massive development?

2020-04-28_141325.jpg2020-04-28_141251.jpg2020-04-28_141218.jpg

It'll be another sanitised faux 'public' space with the development - and its no-doubt upmarket rooftop restaurant - being another huge step towards the total gentrification of the area. The building is wildly out of scale and totally destroys the historic view along Electric Avenue.

There is little architecturally attractive about this building - several people that it looks like the kind of unloved blocks that went up in the 60s - and the only reason it might achieve the self-professed 'landmark' status is purely because of its enormous size.

Pushing through the planning process during the coronavirus crisis seems particularly cynical, as is expecting 'normal' people being able to navigate through many hundreds of jargon-heavy planning documents and provide suitably-worded objections.

This really feels like the developers and Lambeth are all nice and cosy on the deal. Has anyone heard anything from their local councillor concerning such a massive development?

View attachment 209450View attachment 209451View attachment 209452

Im wondering how it will go through the planning process. Normally with a lot of objections it would go to committee with objectors having right to speak.

Im wondering how it will go through the planning process. Normally with a lot of objections it would go to committee with objectors having right to speak.
I've sent out an email to a load of councillors about this. It really feels like it's being pushed through, particularly in the midst of a health crisis. Why aren't councillors giving guidance to constituents affected about this?

It worries me that when I post stuff like this on Buzz, it's the first many people have ever heard of it.

Back
Top Bottom