Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Village, Market Row, Pope's Road, Lost In Brixton, Club 414 & Ton Of Brix - Taylor McWilliams and Hondo's Brixton Empire

I notice the Brixton SPD says integral to the new development should be space for existing creative industries and artists. Some of the arches are now used by artists. I cant see anything yet in plans about them.

Hondo make a great deal of there community orientated management of the markets in the docs to support the application. In which case its valid to point the treatment that Nour Cash and Carry got contradict that. Only public campaign and intervention of Helen Hayes and Ward Cllrs has made Hondo change that.

The pre application process ( year long discussions with planning officers/GLA) meant they took off two storeys. Though it looks like they have stuck plant on roof which isnt counted as storey. Its now 19 storeys high not 21. They have filled in some of gap with the lower tower to make up commercial space lost. Making the whole thing more blocky looking.

I checked the Brixton SPD and the suitable height for a building here is 10 storeys ( Brixton SPD 4.1.2) 10 to 15 would be considered to have adverse impact on Brixton Conservation Area. Over 15 significant adverse impact.

Over 15 and it has to be of high design quality and effect on views must be considered. That explains all the docs on application about this.

They know its the weakpoint of application

Plus the section on tall buildings in the Brixton SPD is for the area near Canterbury Crescent and the Pop site.The Hondo site, whilst discussed in the Brixton SPD for development is not specifically included in that section.

The Hondo site is nearer to the BCA boundary than POP. Which is the other side of Brixton Station Road.
As quoted above the SPD realises the Hondo site is a sensitive one as its so near the BCA boundary.

The comments on the Hondo application for Popes road Im going to put into planning.

The plan for a 19 storey tower is incompatible with locally agreed planning policy.

The Local Plan (2015) says this site is in an area deemed “sensitive” to tall buildings. It is located right next to Brixton Conservation Area which in Local Plan (2015) is “inappropriate” for tall buildings. ( Annex 11 of Local Plan 2015)

The Brixton Supplementary Planning Document was developed out of the Brixton Masterplan. The masterplan was developed in consultation with local residents.

The Brixton SPD gives more detail of height. The Hondo Popes road site is on the edge of the Brixton Central Area next to Brixton Conservation Area. The Brixton Masterplan divided Brixton into different areas.

The Brixton central areas include Pop site, Brixton Rec, International house, Brixton station road and Popes road. Area that is available for regeneration and improvement of urban space.

The SPD in discussing future development around Pop says that the optimal height to fit into this area is ten storeys. 10 to 15 storeys would have adverse impact and over 15 storeys would have “significant adverse impact” ( Brixton SPD 4.1.2). The Hondo site is directly adjacent to the Brixton Conservation Area.

Even Hondo says in their planning statement that the proposed development would be most visible in central parts of Brixton.

Hondo says that in the pre application public consultation that height was raised as a concern. They have dropped height by 11 metres. That is not much. It is still 19 storeys.

The revised Local Plan ( which carries little planning weight unfortunately) adds that this site should have low buildings. It is part of updated design principles for this site. The site is land between the viaducts including the Hondo owned site.

“The council will support development on the site that:
(x) proposes low buildings to protect the amenity of new residential development on Coldharbour Lane adjoining the site.”

From page 398 of Draft Revised Local Plan Site 16

Hondo justified height by saying it will be a Local Landmark. It will mark the location of Brixton overground station. This is patently false. The site is not near the Brixton overground station.

This Hondo plan is overdevelopment of the site. The height is detrimental to the adjacent Brixton Conservation Area from which it can be seen. It will also affect the residential amenity of the new residential development on Coldharbour lane. ( This is considered in the Revised Local Plan).

Further issue about the application.

The applicant says that the proposals will not future proof the building to be able to be connected to a local energy network.

This is part of Brixton SPD.

• Major redevelopments should incorporate the
provision of heat and power energy centres and
appropriate energy network distribution, as well
as the ability for future developments to plug-in
and extend the network. The lowest carbon fuel
sources feasible should be used; and
• The roof spaces of existing and new buildings
should be considered a valuable commodity to be
exploited for energy generation and food growing.

( Brixton SPD 3.6.1)
An important part of the Brixton Masterplan / Brixton SPD was to make sure this would happen. It is an important part of green measures. Also roof space to be used for energy generation. As climate change is an important issue for Council this development should do these things. Is this being followed up by planning officers in further discussion with developer?

The applicant is going for BREEAM excellent and GLA “be lean” use of energy classification. This is not the highest classification - “Green”.

Given that Brixton SPD adopted One Planet Living principles zero carbon strategies for the development need more exploration. The sustainability document is a start. It appears to say that developer is still looking at sustainability in design. How will this be furthered? How will it be dealt with at the planning committee? Will Lambeth planning officers negotiate to achieve a design in line with the adoption of OPL for Brixton? Lambeth Council aims to be Carbon Neutral by 2030. The Brixton SPD and Brixton Masterplan have aim of zero carbon through adoption of OPL in future so planning is one aspect of the Council aiming for Carbon Neutral by 2030 imo.

I would also like to see planning officers assess this application in relation to OPL. Present report to the planning committee to show how or not this proposed development would further OPL principles in Brixton.

Rainwater collection- Brixton SPD says:

2 Water
Opportunities and key elements of the water strategy
might include:
• Rainwater collection in all new build development
and retrofitted where possible to existing
buildings;

I can't see rainwater collection as part of this development. Can this be clarified? If not why?

The affordable office space. The applicant says that Impact Brixton will manage this. There is little detail on this. Application says talks are still going on with the Council.

I'm afraid this could be used to make the application more palatable to the Council. That the applicant may at a later stage say it's not “viable”.

The policy on affordable office space is an emerging policy not adopted. So it does not carry so much planning weight.

Before planning approval is sought at committee stage concrete proposals need to be agreed. To ensure that the developer keeps to promises made in the planning proposals and does not back out of them at later stage citing “viability”.

The Hondo planning statement says that Hondo as owners of the covered markets have a good track with the local community. So are well placed to regenerate this land. This is not the case. The treatment of Nour Cash and Carry gives cause for concern. This small business was under threat from Hondo. Only a well supported campaign by local residents along with local Cllrs / MP have led Hondo to negotiate.

I still think the development should include an upgrade to the rail station.

It seems they are proposing to eliminate the "toilet block" serving market traders and customers - and provide alternative toilets in the basement of the tower (with lift).

I would love to see what Brixton Station looked like when it had a proper entrance in Pope's Road in the matter of Herne Hill station. It's surprising there are no Edwardian postcards of this floating around.

I still think the development should include an upgrade to the rail station.

It seems they are proposing to eliminate the "toilet block" serving market traders and customers - and provide alternative toilets in the basement of the tower (with lift).

I would love to see what Brixton Station looked like when it had a proper entrance in Pope's Road in the matter of Herne Hill station. It's surprising there are no Edwardian postcards of this floating around.
You can see it here:

Brixton history: Brixton's old railway station and the fine cast iron toilet outside

And how it looks now:

2020-05-11_162555.jpg

I'd love to see more pics of the old station.

2020-05-12_155456.jpg

Does anyone, anywhere think that this looks like an attractive place to shop? It looks like the failed shopping malls of the 60s and 70s, many of which have since been demolished.

2020-05-12_155420.jpg

And here's a highly improbable 'vibrant' scene inside, with the 'Brixton Spoken Word Night' echoing through the bleak concrete interior while a fruit and veg shop improbably continues to serve customers over the din.

That building in front of the station, behind the toilets, is in separate ownership and is landbanked according to gossip. I agree, the station badly needs a proper entrance, but this specific scheme can't deliver it.

That building in front of the station, behind the toilets, is in separate ownership and is landbanked according to gossip. I agree, the station badly needs a proper entrance, but this specific scheme can't deliver it.

It is why I focused on height in my objection.

This application could be argued to be step in right direction of opening a new entrance as Hondo are saying they will demolish the toilets and reprovision them i the new development.

Lot of objections in on the Lambeth public comments section of the application.

Mine is not up yet. Probably lot more that have not been checked yet.

The Ward Cllrs have objected.This is on the public comments section:

(Objects)
Comment submitted date: Mon 11 May 2020
I'm writing this submission as one of the three Councillors for Coldharbour ward.

The situation of the site on Pope's Road means it is close to Electric Avenue, which was the first market street in the country to be lit by electric lights. Brixton has a proud history of being forward-thinking and creative.

But I have real concerns about this development. While I welcome investment into Brixton, any new build should add to, not detract from, the existing character of the area. Brixton's architecture is largely low-rise Victorian, and this development would be out of place in this context.

The proposed 20 storey development is too high. It would dwarf the nearest tall building, International House, which is 13 storeys high. Furthermore, it will dominate and overshadow the nearby conservation area. Brixton's SPD of 2013 acknowledges that any development more than 15 storeys is likely to have an adverse impact on Brixton's heritage assets, and that anything between 10 and 15 storeys will be visible from within the conservation area.

I have been contacted by concerned residents who are worried about the impact this development will have on their daylight and sunlight and I would urge the Planning Committee to consider their points. The impact on daylight and sunlight would also affect the nearby low-rise businesses and users of the market. I would also ask the committee to consider the London skyline view from Brockwell Park when making their decision on this application.

Should the committee be minded to allow the application, conditions on the height of the development would be welcomed, ideally bringing it in line with International House as a maximum height.

The owner has been sitting on that building for decades. I guess he's holding out for the max bucks. Such a waste.

And yet more terrible press:

Housekeeping has now taken down their entire social media presence....

I put some of this on the Brixtion news thread.

The Campaign is being run with Nour in conjunction with the new younger members of the Labour Party. Those who joined due to Corbyn.

Matilda is one of those young active new members of the Labour party. Taking up issue of gentrification.

This is community organising. One would think it would be all over Lambeth Labour official media what a great campaign led by younger members it it. Innovative and creative. But I have not found anything.

This is all a bit technical planning stuff but worth it to see Hondo real prioirities.

The Local Plan is up for renewal.

After a consultation process the Council send the new draft updated Local Plan to independent planning inspector. Residents and business can put in comments to the inspector. The inspector can recommend changes.

The submssions are put online.

Looking and saw Hondo have put one in. Complaining of the new onerous planning rules that the Council have the temerity to expect property developers to follow.

The letter starts on page 19.

Its written in tedious planning jargon. A quick read tonight.

A lot of the letter is related to the proposed Popes road development and the Covered markets. Which Hondo own.

Here are the imo sensible ideas the Council wishes to see in updated Local Plan that Hondo dont like:

• The Council want a new rule that large developments will have to provide 10% affordable workspace
  • Council expect a property developer to put in a viability assessment if they think they can't have 10% affordable workspace. ( I kid you not. Hondo say that this will make the planning process more arduous for the property developer like Hondo. My heart bleeds for them)
  • The Council wants new large developments to provide 25% of projected jobs to go to locals. ( Yes Hondo think this is a problem)
  • Council wants plenty of cycling storage on new large developments.( people should use fold up bikes is Hondos answer)
  • Council wants floorspace of covered markets to have limit on A3 ( bars / restaurents.) rather than base split on number of units. Hondo want it based on number of units not amount of floorspace. ( Obviously as a developers could have tiny retail units and large restaurent units and claim a fifty fifty split between retail and bars/ restaurents. The actual effect would be covered markets dominated by restaurents/ eateries
So the idea that Hondo really care is shown to be bollox

I suppose the posh boy DJ thinks no one will read this.

Attachments

• pl-R076-Hondo-Enterprises.pdf
    398.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Over 10 thousand now.
Already up to £10.6k now with the petition garnering 27,000 signatures. He's getting his arse kicked all over Brixton!

Already up to £10.6k now with the petition garnering 27,000 signatures. He's getting his arse kicked all over Brixton!

I
It's mainly small donations. So lots of people feel strongly about this.

Back
Top Bottom