Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Village, Market Row, Pope's Road, Lost In Brixton, Club 414 & Ton Of Brix - Taylor McWilliams and Hondo's Brixton Empire

I've sent out an email to a load of councillors about this. It really feels like it's being pushed through, particularly in the midst of a health crisis. Why aren't councillors giving guidance to constituents affected about this?

It worries me that when I post stuff like this on Buzz, it's the first many people have ever heard of it.

Ive been looking to see info on this. Cannot find anything so far. Googling and Councils are waiting for government advice on how to proceed with planning applications during pandemic.

So Hondo sent Dazed (who covered the story after Buzz) an update:

Update (April 28): Hondo has sent an email statement to Dazed. It reads: “We are not carrying out any evictions at this time and have been in discussions with Nour for almost a year. Hondo has invested extensively with regards to heating, drainage, and the infrastructure within the Market, however, the lack of power still remains a major challenge with regular power cuts for the 50 traders in Market Row. In order to support all a traders, we are required to build a new electrical substation which UK Power Networks informed us had to go in Nour’s unit. After exploring a number of solutions for Nour Cash and Carry, including Hondo building a new unit for them at our cost, we are pleased to be in the positive, final stages of discussions to retain them within Brixton Market. We hope to have details of this agreement very soon.”

Housekeeping has also made a written statement to Dazed: “The livestream event was organised by Pacha to raise money for Creu Roja (Red Cross). It was a pleasure for Housekeeping to take part in the effort to raise much-needed money for charity and provide some entertainment to music lovers around the world who are currently under lockdown. Housekeeping is a DJ collective with multiple members, and is focused on music and events. One of our members, Taylor, has a separate business unrelated to Housekeeping, which was the subject of the grievances. Our understanding is that Hondo is not evicting any tenants at this time, and is in the final stages of a deal that would keep the tenant in question in the market. As a DJ collective separate to this business, we are not in a position to comment any further on this matter.”

Fantastic news! There could be another roof terrace and more shops and foodie joints for the Village!

Planning permission and listed building consent is sought for the following: ‘Use of the first floor space as change of use from B1 to flexible A1 / A3 / B1 / D1 / D2, alterations to the shopfront of Unit 68, refurbishment of first floor studios, replacement of two areas of flat roof with a pitched roof form, new stair access

The action we did on sat was a great success, it even got picked up by Dazed mag and forced housekeeping to make a statement distacing themselves from Hondo! Please follow @SaveNour on Twitter and join the mailchimp to join and keep the pressure on

Yes I found this and tweeted the screenshot (I'm @hatsandbackchat quote tweeted here) am doing some more digging
I was talking to SheisLaurence on Twitter and they said they were going to write a bit more about this (do you know them?). Or do you want to write it?

There's still time for objections! Currently shows 0 comments. Get yer objections in.
This is where local councillors should be advising their constituents rather than just ignoring the issue altogether. There is literally hundreds and hundreds of pages of documents that people are expected to trawl through and understand, and then manage to word an objection in terms that are acceptable to the planning process.

Given the fact that most people have absolutely no idea that this is going on - and if there are any planning documents pinned up around the development, people aren't out and about to see them.

I emailed 11 councillors yesterday (including Hopkins) and haven't heard a peep back - not even an automated response.

This really feels like it's being fast-tracked through.

Happy to see that there's now 15 objections on the site (and the inevitable first comment which supports the venture).

I liked this comment

Hondo has been a particular catalyst in this gentrification. Hondo, who have had no links with lambeth or Brixton but come in with their plans on how they would like Brixton to be, for them not for the people who already have links and who care about this area. This new building, if allowed to be built would cast a physical and emotional shadow over the whole of Brixton...

High rises for middle class transient 'professionals' are not what is needed for Brixton. Low income affordable housing is.

Given the fact that most people have absolutely no idea that this is going on - and if there are any planning documents pinned up around the development, people aren't out and about to see them.

I emailed 11 councillors yesterday (including Hopkins) and haven't heard a peep back - not even an automated response.

This really feels like it's being fast-tracked through.

Totally agree - it seems a bit ridiculous for Lambeth to go through the standard planning process with notices pinned up in public when people are supposed to be staying indoors as much as possible.

Im wondering how it will go through the planning process. Normally with a lot of objections it would go to committee with objectors having right to speak.

It will definitely go to Planning Committee. But the time for objectors to speak is limited, so it's important that people comment on the application now whilst the planning officers are considering the application.

Clearly there will be pressure on officers from senior Council management and maybe some councillors for this to be approved due to the (perceived) benefits of: new jobs, some affordable workspace provision, 'investment' in Brixton (where Hondo lead others will follow), public realm improvements (outside the site i.e. on Pope's Road from S106/CIL contributions), creation of new retail units for new/existing business growth, but also importantly for the Council, significant future business rates revenue.

Councillors are generally influenced by public pressure from their constituents, so the more local people object, loudly, the more chance this application will be properly scrutinised by them. And if it is, then it should be clear that the harm does not outweigh the benefits.

That site is definitely an opportunity for development, but that development should bring genuine benefits to Brixton (like an improved station as well as new jobs) and be well designed. What's proposed is simply greedy. And we know why. They want/have to make a profit and will have paid through the nose for the site. I think the site was valued independently at around £5million in 2016ish before the owner sold it to Sports Direct for c.£12million in 2017!! Hondo will surely have paid at least double that only a couple of years later (and it's just a leasehold!!) (I found a Buzz article saying Sports Direct valued it in their accounts at £23million in 2018).

That's part of the planning/development problem, people overpay based on speculative and optimistic calculations of what development they can achieve (get away with) and then planners are almost forced into approving overdevelopment as anything else isn't 'viable' (heaven forbid a private company may have to take a loss due to mistakenly/purposefully ignoring planning limitations and overestimating value) and no one really wants empty buildings/sites sat around forever when they could be better used. Depressing.

Anyway - the best hope is that if people object and we get this application strongly refused, Hondo will be forced to come back with a better (and smaller) scheme. They clearly haven't listened so far.

It will definitely go to Planning Committee. But the time for objectors to speak is limited, so it's important that people comment on the application now whilst the planning officers are considering the application.

Clearly there will be pressure on officers from senior Council management and maybe some councillors for this to be approved due to the (perceived) benefits of: new jobs, some affordable workspace provision, 'investment' in Brixton (where Hondo lead others will follow), public realm improvements (outside the site i.e. on Pope's Road from S106/CIL contributions), creation of new retail units for new/existing business growth, but also importantly for the Council, significant future business rates revenue.

Councillors are generally influenced by public pressure from their constituents, so the more local people object, loudly, the more chance this application will be properly scrutinised by them. And if it is, then it should be clear that the harm does not outweigh the benefits.

That site is definitely an opportunity for development, but that development should bring genuine benefits to Brixton (like an improved station as well as new jobs) and be well designed. What's proposed is simply greedy. And we know why. They want/have to make a profit and will have paid through the nose for the site. I think the site was valued independently at around £5million in 2016ish before the owner sold it to Sports Direct for c.£12million in 2017!! Hondo will surely have paid at least double that only a couple of years later (and it's just a leasehold!!) (I found a Buzz article saying Sports Direct valued it in their accounts at £23million in 2018).

That's part of the planning/development problem, people overpay based on speculative and optimistic calculations of what development they can achieve (get away with) and then planners are almost forced into approving overdevelopment as anything else isn't 'viable' (heaven forbid a private company may have to take a loss due to mistakenly/purposefully ignoring planning limitations and overestimating value) and no one really wants empty buildings/sites sat around forever when they could be better used. Depressing.

Anyway - the best hope is that if people object and we get this application strongly refused, Hondo will be forced to come back with a better (and smaller) scheme. They clearly haven't listened so far.

How are you certain it will go to Planning Committee? What I meant is that in present pandemic how is the planning committee supposed to operate? So far I cant find anythiing on Council website about this.

Camden Council took on a developer over viability. Developer said cost of land meant they could not include affordable housing. Went to appeal and developer lost.

Cost of land should not be considered. That is developers problem.

This development includes no housing just offices and shops. It is required to include affordable business units. Application say they will do this. But yes I agree over development of the site is because the developer wants to make site "viable" due to cost of land. Whether this Council will take a developer on is another matter. Application in the market for a tower was refused by Planning Committee in a different application so its not a done deal yet.

Local Ward Cllrs can oppose an application in there area as can MP. Need to email them to ask.

TBF Ive got enough on with this pandemic. I thin the planning process should be put on hold except for new applications until lockkdown is finished.

If it was not for local media I would not know about this application.

Last edited:
Ive emailed the Ward Cllrs ( its in Coldharbour also my ward) and MP Helen Hayes ( who is also my MP) to see if they are going to object.

Here's a really useful guide and one worth reading if you want to object to Hondo's mega development in Pope's Road

That is useful.

Ive just been trying to explain to someone this evening that saying that Hondo are a large capitalist business is not a valid objection. Find it a bit wearing.

I would however say I dont think people should have to comb through the application and learn all the planniing jargon.

To the ordinary person looking at the drawings the tower is to big. Its dominating the rest of Brixton. Its out of keeping with the area.

Also not liking the design is another valid reason.

I think people should be able to comment on above issues with short comment. Its the planners job to see if this might count as valid objection.

That is useful.

Ive just been trying to explain to someone this evening that saying that Hondo are a large capitalist business is not a valid objection. Find it a bit wearing.

I would however say I dont think people should have to comb through the application and learn all the planniing jargon.

To the ordinary person looking at the drawings the tower is to big. Its dominating the rest of Brixton. Its out of keeping with the area.

Also not liking the design is another valid reason.

I think people should be able to comment on above issues with short comment. Its the planners job to see if this might count as valid objection.
Councillors should proactively be engaging with their constituents over this too. I've still had no reply from my emails to 10 councillors and Jack Hopkins, or any response to the open letter on Buzz.

How are you certain it will go to Planning Committee? What I meant is that in present pandemic how is the planning committee supposed to operate? So far I cant find anythiing on Council website about this.

Different councils are taking different approaches. Not sure what Lambeth have done/will do, but this application will definitely go to committee in some form given its scale and location.

As per previous comments, any objections need to focus on planning matters. To me, this application should be rejected due to its impact on two conservation areas and the fact it is clearly out of scale with the rest of the town centre area. The site has not been allocated for a tall building in either the existing Local Plan or the one under development, and the application appears contrary to adopted Local Plan policies on conservation areas and tall buildings. I don't think any public benefits outweigh the adverse impacts.

Thought I'd post this again if anyone is thinking of objecting. The key points -

Valid objections
To summarise, the following are the grounds on which planning permission is most likely to be refused (although this list is not intended to be definitive) :

Adverse effect on the residential amenity of neighbours, by reason of (among other factors) noise*, disturbance*, overlooking, loss of privacy, overshadowing, etc. [*but note that this does not include noise or disturbance arising from the actual execution of the works, which will not be taken into account, except possibly in relation to conditions that may be imposed on the planning permission, dealing with hours and methods of working, etc. during the development]

• Unacceptably high density / over-development of the site, especially if it involves loss of garden land or the open aspect of the neighbourhood (so-called ‘garden grabbing’)
  • Visual impact of the development
  • Effect of the development on the character of the neighbourhood
  • Design (including bulk and massing, detailing and materials, if these form part of the application)
  • The proposed development is over-bearing, out-of-scale or out of character in terms of its appearance compared with existing development in the vicinity
  • The loss of existing views from neighbouring properties would adversely affect the residential amenity of neighbouring owners
  • [If in a Conservation Area, adverse effect of the development on the character and appearance of the Conservation Area]
  • [If near a Listed Building, adverse effect of the development on the setting of the Listed Building.]
  • The development would adversely affect highway safety or the convenience of road users [but only if there is technical evidence to back up such a claim].
The following points, on the other hand will not be taken into account in deciding on the acceptability of the development in planning terms :

• The precise identity of the applicant;
  • The racial or ethnic origin of the applicant, their sexual orientation, religious beliefs, political views or affiliations or any other personal attributes;
  • The reasons or motives of the applicant in applying for planning permission (for example if the development is thought to be purely speculative);
  • Any profit likely to be made by the applicant;
  • The behaviour of the applicant;
  • Nuisance or annoyance previously caused by the applicant [unless this relates to an existing development for which retrospective permission is being sought];
  • Concerns about possible future development of the site (as distinct from the actual development which is currently being proposed);
  • Any effect on the value of neighbouring properties

I also got a response from Cllr Nye.

Cllr Donatus emailed to say the Planning Committee is starting up again. Meetings will be held using Microsoft Teams

See link above. ( its not for this application. Just to show that a few Planning Committee meetings were cancelled and now Council is starting to use Microsoft teams).

Has anyone ever use Microsoft Teams?

I wonder how its going to work with a public audience. Some of whom want to speak on an application.

I did hear Council told staff to stop using Zoom.

Cllr Emma Nye said:

The Coldharbour ward councillors share some of the concerns you have raised, and we will make sure our views, and those of our residents who have been in touch with us, are raised when the item is considered at Planning Committee

So email comments on Ward Cllrs as well as the planning website.

It's almost like they've collectively been told to keep quiet about it! I wish Rachel Heywood was still elected.

I read email response is that they will oppose it. But its not clear. I mentioned height of building and its effect on Brixton Conservation area.

Ive been looking at the application. Its doing my head in all the pdfs. Trying to go through some of them for useful info. So much of reports in applications is repeating stuff.

The height is the main weakness. Lot of docs about views of the tower. How much it is visible. Big Town scape and heritage assessment.

This led me to have a look at the Brixton SPD (Supplementary Planning Document).

It appears in Local Plan that the Brixton Conservation area is not considered suitable for tall buildings. Policy Q26. But the site Hondo own is just outside the BCA. So its "sensitive to tall buildings".

The SPD states this actual site that Hondo own is suitable for buildings up to 10 storeys high. The Hondo towers are 19 and 8. They dropped it down 2 storeys in pre application discussions with planning officers.

The SPD says this on Brixton Central area ( 4.1.2):

Tall building development on suitable sites, to a
height of 10 storeys, is likely to have a neutral impact
on Brixton’s heritage assets (and their settings).
Development between 10 and 15 storeys will be
visible from within the conservation area and has the
potential to have an adverse impact. Development
in excess of 15 storeys is likely to have a significant
adverse impact.
Applicants proposing tall buildings in excess of 10
storeys will be expected to prepare accurate heritage
and townscape impact assessments to allow informed
decisions to be made. In order to mitigate such harm,
new tall buildings should:
1. Be slender, of elegant proportions with a good
silhouette; and
2. Use detailing and materials that harmonise with
the locally distinct palette of materials (brick and stone)

It is hoped that by following these design parameters
the new structures will enhance Brixton’s already rich
roofscape of historic towers. Large, bulky, squat or
alien looking structures are unlikely to be considered
acceptable.

Last edited:
The Brixton SPD 4.2.4 says of Hondos site this:

Land between the viaducts
The land on the east side of Pope’s Road between
the railway viaducts is a major opportunity for
development. In particular, the opening up of this
site would allow for a new north-south connection to
Brixton Station Road, improved access to the Brixton
markets experience and creation of new opportunities
for small and independent traders. Space for existing
creative industries and artists should be an integral
part of redevelopment proposals for this site.
Above this ground floor level activity, there is scope
for a mix of commercial uses. The site could also
potentially deliver some town centre car parking
to help meet the needs of local businesses and
customers and provide space for market trader parking
and storage.
In such a prominent location new development would
need to be of the highest quality design, and provide a
useful and attractive new landmark in the town centre.
Subject to demand, this central location would also be
appropriate for education uses.

Back
Top Bottom