Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Village, Market Row, Pope's Road, Lost In Brixton, Club 414 & Ton Of Brix - Taylor McWilliams and Hondo's Brixton Empire

confused, who posted this ?
it looks like the people behind the new venue rather than hondo/macwilliams

I've just taken a look around the new venue and it looks fantastic. They're having a load of soft launches until a full launch in the New Year.
I've just had a meeting with the people behind the venture and have reminded them of their original commitments to the community that were posted on Buzz two years ago.

The Brixton jamm lot?

dunno, which is why im confused its more like a consortium of different brands, who fits where
how much are hondo involved, ive seen stuff on various social platforms, some of it quite negative, others loving it.

Any updates on the promised -
"discounted food and drinks periods based for people living in Brixton postcodes SW2, SW9, SE5 and SE24 [...] free entry to local hospitality workers on the door after their shifts and discounts on the bar." ?

"discounted food and drinks periods based for people living in Brixton postcodes SW2, SW9, SE5 and SE24 [...] free entry to local hospitality workers on the door after their shifts and discounts on the bar." ?
Spend the claps.

I spoke with them to remind them of this commitment and they said that's all going ahead when they launch properly in the NY.

And I will keep on reminding them of this fact.

I spoke with them to remind them of this commitment and they said that's all going ahead when they launch properly in the NY.

And I will keep on reminding them of this fact.
And still nothing has been implemented. The place only seems to open occasionally with the downstairs bar rarely accessible from the front door (and often used as a cloakroom). I don't know anyone who goes there and it seems to bear little relation to local residents.

They were never going to offer discounts for locals etc, they were just paying lip service given the legacy of the nightclub and the publicity it got when they took it over.

They were never going to offer discounts for locals etc, they were just paying lip service given the legacy of the nightclub and the publicity it got when they took it over.
Well they can expect some kickback from Buzz soon. I've grown to actively dislike the place with its fucking queues and smokers taking over the entire pavement.

And they're really taking the fucking piss with their outdoor smoking/loud chatting/pavement hogging area.

1693340457146.png

And on a related note, I saw the sexist DJ rich cunt Taylor McWilliams surrounded by acolytes in the Village today.

Went here last night. Unplanned walk-in at 1.30am. No queue and wasn’t charged entry. Queer drag night apparently but seemed to be a fairly mixed crowd. Great sound system. Reasonable drinks price for a London club (£10 for a gin and tonic). Friendly atmosphere. Not busy at all. A bit sterile compared to somewhere like Phonox or PoW.

Went here last night. Unplanned walk-in at 1.30am. No queue and wasn’t charged entry. Queer drag night apparently but seemed to be a fairly mixed crowd. Great sound system. Reasonable drinks price for a London club (£10 for a gin and tonic). Friendly atmosphere. Not busy at all. A bit sterile compared to somewhere like Phonox or PoW.
They really seem appallingly bad at advertising what's on. Even worse than the Dogstar, and that's saying something.

I was in 'Off the Cuff' in Herne Hill recently for a 414/Fridge etc reunion, one of the arches at the far end of the courtyard was quite 414 esque, complete with a spiral staircase on the dancefloor.

McWilliams & Co want to stick an extra on floor on Brixton Village to accommodate a 'light filled rooftop space' (i.e. bar).
Their 'public consultation' amounted to just two 3 hour sessions a couple of weeks ago. Did anyone go?

So the Ton of Bricks is rebranding the ground floor as 'Bricks' and finally implementing some of the community based things I suggested to them years ago and that were included in their 'manifesto.'

Located on the ground floor of Brixton club The Ton of Brix, Bricks boasts a custom-built DJ booth, Funktion-One sound system and additional acoustic treatment courtesy of audio firm Sound Services. A launch party took place last Friday, June 21st.Launched in December 2022, The Ton Of Brix is now under the management of Tola Peckham founder Tom Broadbent, who's keen to enhance the venue's community focus. Initial plans involve collaborating with local groups and youth organisations, and hosting a monthly residency with the Artistic Development Programme to showcase emerging talent.

It has now been reported that TPG Angelo Gordon and Hondo Enterprises, the private company fronted by Taylor McWilliams, have appointed Savills and Bruce Gillingham Pollard to sell the freehold and part leasehold of Brixton Market.
According to Wesley Ankrah, "director of social value" at Savills and "Social Value Creator of the Year at the inaugural 2021 Real Estate Investment & Infrastructure Forum":

"(Brixton Market) was run by traders from over 32 different nationalities and was “a cornerstone of local entrepreneurship and success, offering not just financial returns but also a direct social impact” to any potential buyer."

Oliver Bamber, director in Savills’ central London investment team, said:

"“The markets attract nearly 100,000 visitors each week, and is an irreplaceable property that enables a buyer to expand upon Brixton’s local significance and legacy.

“With consistently high occupancy and tenant retention levels, as well as a strong underlying reversion, Brixton Market is strategically positioned for future growth, all while staying true to its tradition of supporting the local community.”

Hondo Enterprises has owned the market with investment firm TPG Angelo Gordon since they bought it for £37.25m in 2018.

While Wesley Ankrah claims that Brixton Market offers "not just financial returns but also a direct social impact to any potential buyer" (whatever that actually means), it may be worth noting that while no asking price has been given, 'industry sources' say that Brixton Market could now be sold for at least £80m, giving a financial return in excess of 100% in six years.

• Wow
Reactions: CH1
According to Wesley Ankrah, "director of social value" at Savills and "Social Value Creator of the Year at the inaugural 2021 Real Estate Investment & Infrastructure Forum":

Oliver Bamber, director in Savills’ central London investment team, said:

Hondo Enterprises has owned the market with investment firm TPG Angelo Gordon since they bought it for £37.25m in 2018.

While Wesley Ankrah claims that Brixton Market offers "not just financial returns but also a direct social impact to any potential buyer" (whatever that actually means), it may be worth noting that while no asking price has been given, 'industry sources' say that Brixton Market could now be sold for at least £80m, giving a financial return in excess of 100% in six years.
Let's crowdfund and buy it!

We can always dream...

Back
Top Bottom