Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Village, Market Row, Pope's Road, Lost In Brixton, Club 414 & Ton Of Brix - Taylor McWilliams and Hondo's Brixton Empire

That says that it’s buikdong internal walls not knocking them down doesn’t it?

Planning permission all depends on what is listed and why. It’s a combination of social and physical isn’t it?

View attachment 221159

So Hondo want to create two units out of one in a listed property. Anyone know any more?

*error corrected!

There's one objection on the planning site

(Objects)
Comment submitted date: Fri 12 Jun 2020
[REDACTED] are currently renting this unit and running a restaurant for almost ten years. If this unit is divided into two, it will be too small to run [REDACTED] and be difficult to continue [REDACTED]. This plan should not be approved during the current tenant stay.

So Hondo want to half the space of the Kamone restaurant while the business is still trying to trade there.

1594068413221.png

Not controversial from a LB pov. The division/combination of units has been ongoing in the market forever, which you can tell by the jumble of unit nubers on the plans.

1594115892985.png

The NYT has an article on Nour, including a self-pitying interview with TMcW himself.
His manager “effectively dropped” his band after other artists complained about his work in Brixton.

“It’s all part of this crazy cancel culture,” he said. “It’s astonishing to me.”
I assume by 'cancel culture' he means things like the #metoo movement where privileged public figures are called out on their dubious words and actions in the past. Yep, really crazy.

With financial backing from the American hedge fund Angelo Gordon, Mr. McWilliams bought the covered markets in 2018 for more than 37 million pounds, about $46 million today, along with a popular nightclub and another property he plans to convert into a 20-st
Mr. McWilliams said he wasn’t interested in changing Brixton. He wondered why he was cast as the villain, given that he had already spent more than £2 million, or $2.5 million, to fix plumbing problems, refurbish bathrooms and install a heating system that will keep the market busy during winter.
Newly arrived multi millionaire property developer can't understand why local people aren't gushingly grateful to him for investing money from a US property investment company into his own multi-million properties with the end game of making them more profitable and returning a sizeable return to the aforementioned property investment company.

Not controversial from a LB pov. The division/combination of units has been ongoing in the market forever, which you can tell by the jumble of unit nubers on the plans.

View attachment 221240
That unit has operated as a double for at least a decade and from what I gather the occupants aren't too chuffed at having their premises cut in half. Surely the fair and correct way to do this kind of thing is wait until the lease has ended?

That unit has operated as a double for at least a decade and from what I gather the occupants aren't too chuffed at having their premises cut in half. Surely the fair and correct way to do this kind of thing is wait until the lease has ended?
Oh for sure it's a dick move on the tenants. Just not objectable to on planning or listed building terms

Brixton Village reported in the Nasdaq!

Etta is absolutely right. Traders in Brixton are really suffering right now. Footfall is way down, people are not eating out in the same numbers, which means that retailers as well as cafe/restaurants are hurting. There is a very real danger that a great many well known Brixton institutions are going to have to close between now and Christmas.

Etta is absolutely right. Traders in Brixton are really suffering right now. Footfall is way down, people are not eating out in the same numbers, which means that retailers as well as cafe/restaurants are hurting. There is a very real danger that a great many well known Brixton institutions are going to have to close between now and Christmas.
Brixton seems to have been heading into complete over-saturation to me for ages now - how many restaurants/burger bars/chicken joints do we need? The lockdown has clearly hit some businesses harder than others - some seem to have thrived on takeaways - but the Village looked a lot busier when I've walked past recently.

Here's how it looked on Saturday

2020-08-04_105552.jpg

it'll be interesting to see what happens next, the rents are due and most of the owners I know haven't got enough income to pay their staff let alone rent etc. with no offer from the owners to help. I can see a lot of empty units appearing in the next six months

it'll be interesting to see what happens next, the rents are due and most of the owners I know haven't got enough income to pay their staff let alone rent etc. with no offer from the owners to help. I can see a lot of empty units appearing in the next six months
I assume Hondo's business plan was to keep squeezing the rent lemon as tightly as they could, along with the assumption that footfall was going to remain upwardly mobile and so rent prices could carry on going upwards with every lease renewal.

Be interesting to see what kind of support they offer.

Studio 73 has already left the Village and the owner had some spirited stories about McWilliams & Co.

The article does say oversaturation of restuarents has taken place.

Im in West End a lot. Some street space has been given over for tables outside restaurents.

Ive seen over last few weeks gradual less and less social distancing going on in places where restaurents/ bars are open.

From peope keeping a distance from each table its been getting less.

Same with pubs.

Restaurents/ bars are not going to survive long term without government bail out if social distancing is kept to.

Given this government messages are contradictory - go out but observe social distancing- Get economy going but the virus has not gone away.

I see a crisis in the economy coming.

The economy as editor points out in regard to Hondo was based on various kinds of rent seeking. Assumption that the way modern capitalism works is that there is never ending way to extract higher rents from property for example.

This is crunch time.

Tories arent going to support small business for ever. So job losses will result.

London was economy was based on servicing the rich and the companies linked to financial sector. The lockdown has put and end to that for the next year.

I would like to know why they own a company - and they don't put their income and expenditure or capital purchases through the accounts

Surely people should be able to question what is going on when they bring forward planning applications and yet the finance for the development is not declared.
It could be Russian oligarchs, drug money or anything else. Whatever it is it's not money from Hondo Enterprises Ltd.

As Boris says we've got a world beating system of money laundering detection - as any Brixton resident will find if they are rash enough to open a bank account at Nat West Brixton.

The Village is absolutely rammed right now. The DJs are back too,
How is their Track and Trace/? I notice that with pubs it is very variable. I hear the Hobgoblin take your name and address - yet others leave it to the discretion of the visitor to scan their Q code - if they have a mobile phone that does this.

How is their Track and Trace/? I notice that with pubs it is very variable. I hear the Hobgoblin take your name and address - yet others leave it to the discretion of the visitor to scan their Q code - if they have a mobile phone that does this.
I didn't see anything going on.

Hootananny does indeed take your name and phone number as you come in, with sanitiser by the entrance. It's the same at the Railway, who also insist that you sanitise your hands before you can come in and then it's app/table service only. They've done it well.

Mind you, nothing can compare to Khan's: temperature probe as you come in with a request to sanitise your hands with what feels like liquid soap by the door (with no water - eek) and the waiter has a full protective visor and rubber gloves, plus there's a plexiglass screen at the till. Amusingly this looks like a TV set.

I note someone said Impact Brixton is one of Lambeth Council's favourite projects. Pity it is inaccessible to people with mobility impairment.
Their description immediately puts me into Repel Mode, as does anything that declares itself to be a Hub.

A place to call home for a diverse community of entrepreneurs, freelancers, dreamers, creators and social change makers in South London

Interesting piece here:

Taylor McWilliam, the Texan property developer, friend of Prince Harry and DJ, has been no stranger to gentrification battles since he bought large swaths of Brixton, in south London, with the backing of a New York hedge fund.

Since he bought Brixton market in 2018, McWilliam has rarely been out of the news, with campaigners claiming the tourist-destination image of the market is undermining local businesses and the character of the area. This summer he hit the headlines when the campaign to save Nour Cash & Carry from eviction unexpectedly went global after a protest during an online charity concert featuring a DJ set by McWilliam, in front of an audience of more than 1,000 people.

A much-loved family business, Nour has been saved, but McWilliams is once again the focus of huge local opposition, this time against plans to build a 20-storey tower, designed by the British Ghanaian architect David Adjaye. Council officers have recommended that the tower go ahead on the basis that it will regenerate the area and provide jobs and a new public realm.

Yet prior to the council’s forthcoming decision on Tuesday, more than 1,000 objections had been lodged, including from the local MP, ward councillors and a 7,000 strong petition against the scheme.

McWilliams, with his partying and royal connections, is the perfect target for community anger. But the story of a colourful developer at loggerheads with local activists obscures the bigger picture, which is the effect that global finance, in the shape of hedge funds, private equity and global property development companies, is having on places such as Brixton. Although McWilliams announced that he had bought Brixton market through his company Hondo Enterprises, the legal owners are two special-purpose vehicles backed by the New York hedge fund Angelo Gordon, while the fate of the Brixton arches was determined by US private equity.

Earlier this year, Lambeth council appointed Tom Branton as director of regeneration, giving an indication of its vision for the area. Branton has previously worked for Southwark council, as project manager of the controversial Elephant & Castle regeneration scheme, carried out in partnership with the Australia-based developer Lendlease. He moved on from the council to work for Lendlease, where he was development manager on the same project, Elephant Park. Built on the site of the demolished Heygate estate, Elephant Park includes nearly 3,000 luxury apartments, of which only 82 are social housing. Of the properties built in the first phase, most were sold to foreign investors.

Branton later went with Lendlease to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, to work on the Tun Razak Exchange, described as an Asian version of Canary Wharf.

This happened in Dec 2018:

Starz Real Estate refinances Brixton Markets
Recently launched debt fund Starz Real Estate has refinanced the loans a JV between Angelo Gordon and Hondo Enterprises used to purchase Brixton Markets.

The joint venture bought the market earlier this year for £37.25m after Market Villages flipped ownership of the leasehold having exercised its pre-emption rights.

Not the worst news ever! Brixton Jamm put on some good nights, and are quite a credible operator. At least its staying a club, let's hope its turns out decent.

Back
Top Bottom