Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Village, Market Row, Pope's Road, Lost In Brixton, Club 414 & Ton Of Brix - Taylor McWilliams and Hondo's Brixton Empire

Here's how the multi millionaire owner describes Lost In Brixton

Come and get LOST in our Brixton Paradise..
We’re a small bunch of industry outsiders from all over, proud to be joining Brixton’s trading community. We’ve been working hard to open up a hidden bit of Brixton Village and welcome everyone. We’ll be working closely with the community of traders and businesses already working in the thriving market area, bringing a new lease of life to the space.

Our large-scale terrace is designed for escapism ~ pops of bright colour, and design inspired by travel and discovery create a place for people to gather, dance, and get away.
https://www.lostinbrixton.com/about

It's already got press in Harper's Bazaar, Elle, Country & Town House, Tatler and Hello magazine.

“We’re a small bunch of industry outsiders”

Huh
taylor-mcwilliams-and-jacobi-anstruthergough-calthorpe-attend-the-picture-id494373382

The millionaire 'outsider' backed by a hedge fund.

outsiders in the same way as Johnson, Farage et al are outsiders, or outsiders as they are one of the few billionaires in Brixton (I presume) cunts either way

A little more about Village owner, Taylor McWilliams:

One Commercial Street, which is owned by 29-year-old billionaire socialite Taylor McWilliams, has been the focus of a long-standing “Poor Doors” against social segregation in housing. McWilliams bought the building from Redrow late last year.

Texan Billionaire Friend of Royalty Targets Class War - Class War

Class War has called an end to its truce over the segregated doors at No.1 Commercial street after talks today with new owner Taylor McWilliams lasted only a bitter ten minutes. McWilliams offered only cosmetic changes – i’ll repair the lifts and mend the poor doors – before CW walked out informing him that future actions would last for ‘ as long as it takes’.
‘What do you want me to do’ asked McWilliams ‘ pull the place down?’
‘We are not in the least afraid of ruins’ came the reply.
POOR DOORS - THE TRUCE IS OVER - IT'S WAR - CLASS WAR - Class War

And a bit about his DJ collective:

Mr Anstruther-Gough-Calthorpe runs DJ collective Housekeeping with three friends Taylor McWilliams, Sebastian McDonald-Hall and Carl Waxberg.

Despite he himself being friends with Princes Harry and William, and his 25-year-old sister’s royal links, he claims he does not use his connections to sell £5,000 “VVIP” tables. He said: “For us it’s about the music, the brand and the business. That’s where we draw the line.

Mr Anstruther-Gough-Calthorpe, who was educated at Harrow, said he shortened his name for work, and also goes by the nickname Jax among friends and family. He said: “It’s a long name. It’s too long for anything. On the telephone when speaking to clients about an esoteric private equity fund, it’s a hindrance to use it at all.”
I worry about Cressida's safety, says her DJ half-brother Jacobi

And here's how he rolls:

The Hallowe’en ravers were fuelled by 45 bottles of Smirnoff vodka and hundreds of pounds worth of Veuve Clicquot champagne. Another £500 was spent on an alcohol delivery service after the bar had begun to run dry.

This party was for US property developer Taylor McWilliams, 27 – known to friends as ‘McWilly’.

‘He was overjoyed to have Royals at his party. The Princesses were a real coup,’ said a guest.

Beatrice and Eugenie's wild night at a party shut down by police
Prince Harry's stylish ex Chelsy Davy turns heads at society bash | Daily Mail Online

I wonder if this is what he has in mind for Brixton (I'm thinking the 414)
One of the most difficult things in London is finding the right venue. These days, councils are so strict, especially in central Zone 1 locations – it’s really difficult. There physically aren’t that many venues with the appropriate licensing anymore – a lot of them have been shut down – so these days if you want long opening hours you need to go south, east or north. Primarily the crowd coming to our parties are more the West End / Chelsea area, and that means you can only make them travel so far. That’s a challenge but we’ve been fortunate in having a fairly loyal following of people so whenever we throw a party they tend to be over-subscribed. But we’re only as good as our last party so we keep trying to improve.
HOUSEKEEPING At The Door

This is a good comment on FB:
They have brought social and financial segregation to Brixton, where we didn't have it before, despite the complex history of the neighbourhood. Just look at who every 'improvement' is aimed at and tell me that inclusion is in their vocabulary. Just walk past the queues outside Phonox and the Electric Social these days and see how little variation there is in the queue or the accents, compared to the old Plan B and the old Fridge clubs.

His fellow poshboy DJ chum said in an interview somewhere that they wanted to find new places to play now that Chelsea had gone off the boil or whatever - which makes me worry that McWilliams - with his vast wealth, property connections and co-DJ pals who already own clubs - might be thinking about taking over the 414 (the director of Brixton Village is the same director who owns the shitty company that kicked Tony & Louise out). That would be the final slap in the face to Brixton.

i was shocked and surprised to see Red Rum Lisa staring out of my telly this morning. She was on a Skype link from Durham University promulgating her views on the Peterloo Massacre (which naturally were that it was a seminal class war event).
Personally I'd sooner of had Professor Vernon Bognador the doyen of experts on the British constitution. At least he could have commented on what the immediate and medium term consequences of the Peterloo Massacre were.

Lisa Mackenzie is harsh woman - all fire and brimstone as I found a few months ago. Still I'm sure Sky News found her fee more reasonable than the erudite Oxford Professor, and no doubt to people in the Sky News Centre Durham sounds more Manchestery than Oxford [though anyone who's been to all three will no doubt agree with me that Durham has much more in common with Oxford than either have with Manchester]

2019-08-16_203345.jpg

Here's that welcoming "new community space" that's opened up in Brixton Village.

Everyone welcome! (if you get past the bag checks/security etc)

View attachment 181128

Here's that welcoming "new community space" that's opened up in Brixton Village.

Everyone welcome! (if you get past the bag checks/security etc)

Last week I saw the entrance and didn't bother as didnt feel up to getting by security. What is it with this obsession with need for burly security everywhere I go now? This is daytime not some late night club. I see the same at Pop.

If you think it's open to all, why are there two security guards there?
For the same reason that many other venues, from community asset pubs and bars to musemus, galleries and others, also have them. Why do you think they have them?

His fellow poshboy DJ chum said in an interview somewhere that they wanted to find new places to play now that Chelsea had gone off the boil or whatever - which makes me worry that McWilliams - with his vast wealth, property connections and co-DJ pals who already own clubs - might be thinking about taking over the 414 (the director of Brixton Village is the same director who owns the shitty company that kicked Tony & Louise out). That would be the final slap in the face to Brixton.
Rebranded for Chelsea wankers. Urgh

i was shocked and surprised to see Red Rum Lisa staring out of my telly this morning. She was on a Skype link from Durham University promulgating her views on the Peterloo Massacre (which naturally were that it was a seminal class war event).
Personally I'd sooner of had Professor Vernon Bognador the doyen of experts on the British constitution. At least he could have commented on what the immediate and medium term consequences of the Peterloo Massacre were.

Lisa Mackenzie is harsh woman - all fire and brimstone as I found a few months ago. Still I'm sure Sky News found her fee more reasonable than the erudite Oxford Professor, and no doubt to people in the Sky News Centre Durham sounds more Manchestery than Oxford [though anyone who's been to all three will no doubt agree with me that Durham has much more in common with Oxford than either have with Manchester]
You finished dragging your beef in then?

For the same reason that many other venues, from community asset pubs and bars to musemus, galleries and others, also have them. Why do you think they have them?
But it's not a pub or a museum. It was trumpeted as a new community space for all. Is that what a real community space looks like to you? Or would you say it's clearly more of a private drinking/dining area patrolled by security where only the right sort of people from the community are admitted? So it's not an actual community space at all. That was just empty PR flubber.

But it's not a pub or a museum. It was trumpeted as a new community space for all. Is that what a real community space looks like to you?
It looks as much of a community space to me as pubs, which are forever here lauded as community assets, regardless of whether they have security guards outside or not. Do you cease to describe or see a pub as a community space depending on whether they have security guards on duty?

Or would you say it's clearly more of a private drinking/dining area patrolled by security where only the right sort of people from the community are admitted? So it's not an actual community space at all. That was just empty PR flubber.
Are you actually implying that Brixton Village are employing security guards to filter out certain demographics or social groups? If so, that is an abolustely extraordinary claim to make. Please clarify if that is what you are suggesting.

The business plans and management strategies of these establishments will have a target clientele which will exclude persons, in their terms, considered high risk and or economically inactive - unwritten policies that sort, as they see it the wheat from the chaff...
Exactly.

Back
Top Bottom