Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Village, Market Row, Pope's Road, Lost In Brixton, Club 414 & Ton Of Brix - Taylor McWilliams and Hondo's Brixton Empire

What are they 'checking' then and why are they only stationed by the entrance to the new - guffaw - "community space for Brixton."
Probably checking for alcohol hidden in bags/ back packs. The Hoot and many other venues around Brixton and London do the same.
BTW I used the Hoot as an example as it had become a problem there.
Any where alcohol is expensive folks will always try and smuggle.

What are they 'checking' then and why are they only stationed by the entrance to the new - guffaw - "community space for Brixton."
Are you really uncertain as to what security staff checking bags might usually be looking for? Or do you think these particular guards are looking for something different to those found at countless other places including community events or venues?

And even in the rather unlikely case one could consider that the owners of the Village had actually gone and hired staff to try to exclude certain demographics, how on earth could that possibly be achieved by means of a bag search? What excuse could they possibly use to deny entry to anyone? ‘Sorry madam, there are certainly no weapons or prohibited items in your handbag but, errr, your lipstick is a cheap brand so you cannot come in’?

Are you really uncertain as to what security staff checking bags might usually be looking for? Or do you think these particular guards are looking for something different to those found at countless other places including community events or venues?

And even in the rather unlikely case one could consider that the owners of the Village had actually gone and hired staff to try to exclude certain demographics, how on earth could that possibly be achieved by means of a bag search? What excuse could they possibly use to deny entry to anyone? ‘Sorry madam, there are certainly no weapons or prohibited items in your handbag but, errr, your lipstick is a cheap brand so you cannot come in’?
It must be quite difficult to miss the point so spectacularly, but I'll try one last time: In the planning permission, the company owned by the super rich, royalty loving, Countryside Alliance supporting socialite claimed that the development would provide a "new community space for Brixton." As has been explained several times, it is clearly not an actual community space but a private boozing/eating area for the 'right' kind of patrons. We were fed bullshit but you seem to be one of the few people to have swallowed it.

Probably checking for alcohol hidden in bags/ back packs. The Hoot and many other venues around Brixton and London do the same.
BTW I used the Hoot as an example as it had become a problem there.
Any where alcohol is expensive folks will always try and smuggle.
I don't have a problem with that because the Hoot isn't masquerading as a community space for Brixton. It's a pub.

It must be quite difficult to miss the point so spectacularly, but I'll try one last time: In the planning permission, the company owned by the super rich, royalty loving, Countryside Alliance supporting socialite claimed that the development would provide a "new community space for Brixton." As has been explained several times, it is clearly not an actual community space but a private boozing/eating area for the 'right' kind of patrons. We were fed bullshit but you seem to be one of the few people to have swallowed it.
And all of that offers virtually zero explanation of how security guards could possibly be used to implement a policy of social exclusion by means of bag searches.

And all of that offers virtually zero explanation of how security guards could possibly be used to implement a policy of social exclusion by means of bag searches.
Oh for fuck's sake. I give up. It's a privately-owned, privately run, trendy foodie/boozing/dance space protected by velvet rope and security guards. If that's your idea of a real, actual "new community space for Brixton" then you're living in developer fantasy world.

This post is either satire or belief-beggaringly naive. You think door staff need a "justifiable" excuse to exclude people? :eek:

Oh for fuck's sake. I give up. It's a privately-owned, privately run, trendy foodie/boozing/dance space protected by velvet rope and security guards. If that's your idea of a real, actual "new community space for Brixton" then you're living in developer fantasy world.
That’s not what I was commenting on/ asking you about and you know it. One thing is to distrust a business and think they don’t care about the local community, and another to suggest they’re actively engaging in social exclusion because they have security staff doing *bag checks*, as your initial post seemed to suggest.

But clearly we’re not going to agree or be able to discuss the issue in a productive way, so I give up on it as well.

For all the talk of it being some sort of inclusive community space for all of Brixton, it's very specifically targeted at the exact same young and affluent demographic as Pop Brixton, dominated by a huge bar to keep the booze flowing freely.

2019-08-18_140511.jpg

2019-08-18_140305.jpg

2019-08-18_140240.jpg

I can't believe that the rich fucker who owns Brixton Village has the sheer fucking gall to be publicly claiming to have "saved Club 414" when in fact all he has done is taken it over for himself after the owners were kicked out - notably by a company with direct links to his own.

I thought about taking a look at that Lost In Brixton hipster booze bar, sorry, 'new community space.'

Then I noticed that the security were asking for ID, checking bags and then sticking a stamp on everyone going in. Fuck that.

For all the talk of it being some sort of inclusive community space for all of Brixton, it's very specifically targeted at the exact same young and affluent demographic as Pop Brixton, dominated by a huge bar to keep the booze flowing freely.

View attachment 181319
]

The woman in the middle pic is wearing a Led Zep tee-shirt. Is that the new variation on the Ramones one, where the wearer probably couldn't name one of their songs? Some sort of Communication Breakdown, methinks.

Great news! It's going to be the booziest village in London!

brixton-taproom.jpg

More booze for Brixton as Taproom By Brixton prepares to open in Brixton Village

I've been told that the Colombian restaurant in the Village (not the one by the Coldharbour entrance) has had it's rent more than doubled, yet another long standing locals place forced out

I've been told that the Colombian restaurant in the Village (not the one by the Coldharbour entrance) has had it's rent more than doubled, yet another long standing locals place forced out
I believe that Hondo Enterprises are going to totally destroy what's left of the community character of Brixton Village/Market Row. They've already bolted on what is essentially a huge bar/club and we've got another booze-shunting place opening up next week.

I believe that Hondo Enterprises are going to totally destroy what's left of the community character of Brixton Village/Market Row. They've already bolted on what is essentially a huge bar/club and we've got another booze-shunting place opening up next week.
the feeling I got from chatting to a couple of owners over the weekend is that anyone with a larger unit that doesn't fit the new profile is going to be forced out by having their rents hiked so high that there is no way they can continue. what's happened in Shoreditch was mentioned more than once, presumably with the same demographic

It's good there's already independent online reviews complaining about the noise - that stops any attempts by Hondo to claim that it's some sort of malicious campaign against them. And the fact that you can't bring in drink, food, dogs, kids (after 5pm) and bikes thoroughly torpedoes their bullshit claims that it's a community public space for locals.

Many of the positive 5 star Google reviews received are suspiciously from accounts with only 1 review to their name (i.e reviewing 'Lost in Brixton').

Some of them are actually written by people who work for them or provide them with services. Not that this should be a surprise.

I am aware Hondo is upping rents for retail premises to about £60 sq ft. This impacts the longer-term tenants whose leases are coming up for renewal as they are typically on much cheaper rents. More recent tenants are already on about that level of rent anyway. No idea what they are asking restaurants to pay. Probably nearer £80-100 sq ft. It is also worth pointing out that retailers, who rely on day time trade, are not really benefiting from improvements/additional bars etc that are mainly targeting evening drinkers...

Hondo is also adding VAT to rents. This doesn't impact any trader who is VAT registered, but there are probably some traders who don't turnover enough to be VAT registered who are now faced with a 20% increase in their rents due to the added VAT. Nearly all commercial landlords charge rent, so nothing unusual about Hondo doing it, but there will be a few who will feel the pinch.

Obviously retailers are really hurting from the wider economic slowdown, fears around Brexit etc as well, which is compounding the problem of rising rents. I suspect Hondo is looking at the success of the new covered food halls in Victoria, Covent Garden etc and trying to replicate it in Brixton Village. Which is no comfort to retailers at all!

I am aware Hondo is upping rents for retail premises to about £60 sq ft. This impacts the longer-term tenants whose leases are coming up for renewal as they are typically on much cheaper rents. More recent tenants are already on about that level of rent anyway. No idea what they are asking restaurants to pay. Probably nearer £80-100 sq ft. It is also worth pointing out that retailers, who rely on day time trade, are not really benefiting from improvements/additional bars etc that are mainly targeting evening drinkers...

Hondo is also adding VAT to rents. This doesn't impact any trader who is VAT registered, but there are probably some traders who don't turnover enough to be VAT registered who are now faced with a 20% increase in their rents due to the added VAT. Nearly all commercial landlords charge rent, so nothing unusual about Hondo doing it, but there will be a few who will feel the pinch.
One trader was telling me that this increase may scupper their business. The shift in focus to booze/food/night time stuff isn't helping some of the 'traditional' traders either.

So the new general manager, Diana Nabagereka, was previously general operations manager for Camden Market...

Back
Top Bottom