Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Village, Market Row, Pope's Road, Lost In Brixton, Club 414 & Ton Of Brix - Taylor McWilliams and Hondo's Brixton Empire

'reinvigorating the London nightlife scene since 2012
open-uri20130816-28443-1lc9msx.jpeg

2019-03-21_183802.jpg

So the new socialite rich kid owner is hell-bent on turning the Village into some kind of hot'n'happenin', music-pumpin' rival to Pop Brixton - apparently there's a recording studio coming up and there's going to be more DJs all over the place - but I have to say this bizarre kontiki-style DJ hut that gets wheeled around the place is a strange confection.

It's equipped with really high end gear but it just seems daft to me. I've never seen anyone dancing or interacting with the thing (perhaps I've just missed those moments), but it seems weird to have a full on DJ playing to the backs of a load of diners and foodies.

Interesting stuff here. Looks like my April's Fool piece wasn't that far out.

Lambeth council’s planning committee will next month consider plans that could lead to significant changes in the character of Brixton Village and Market Row – the large covered markets run by Hondo Enterprises that took them over last year.

The application was published as Hondo confirmed reports that it has purchased the Pope’s Road site adjoining Brixton Village that is now occupied by Sports Direct and Flannels. The planning application does not apply to this site
The main effect of the proposals would be to allow later opening and changes in the current balance of traders in Brixton market – allowing up to half of all premises to become food and/or drink establishments, but setting this proportion as the maximum permitted.

Brixton Village’s 83 units are currently split 70% shops (58 units) and 29% restaurants and cafés (24 units); one unit is classed as a drinking establishment.

In Market Row, the 53 units are split 66% shops (35 units), 32% restaurants and cafés (17 units); one unit is classed as a hot food takeaway.

Hondo’s two linked applications seek “blanket permission” for all ground floor units and linked first floor units to have “flexible” use. They say that at least half of existing units would remain class A1 (shops) with no more than half of the units becoming class A3 (food and drink).

Plans for Brixton markets published as purchase of Sports Direct site confirmed

More here https://moderngov.lambeth.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?MId=10538&x=1

They;re describing this as 'Sustainable Fashion Event'. I can't say that's what I'd call it:

keep-boutique-1.jpg

Note the use of Granville Arcade.

'Vendeur' goes rather nicely with 'Champagne & Fromage', no?

I think anything which encourages people to mend clothes rather than binning them and buying new is a good thing - who knows someone might go for the fizz and come out converted.
I'd usually agree, but at £20 a pop this seems to be more about a fun, on-trend jolly for well-off folk rather than promoting actual "sustainable fashion," which is a "movement and process of fostering change to fashion products and the fashion system towards greater ecological integrity and social justice."
Sustainable fashion concerns more than addressing fashion textiles or products. It comprises addressing the whole system of fashion. This means dealing with interdependent social, cultural, ecological and financial systems. It also means considering fashion from the perspective of many stakeholders - users and producers, all living species, contemporary and future dwellers on earth. Sustainable fashion therefore belongs to, and is the responsibility of citizens, public sector and private sector. A key example of the need for systems thinking in fashion is that the benefit of product level initiatives, such as replacing one fiber type for a less environmentally harmful option is eaten up by increasing volumes of fashion products

Still better than nothing, I suppose.

Sustainable fashion - Wikipedia

I'm my experience, poor people tend to mend their clothes not throw them away.
People of all incomes will try and fix expensive items, but with the advent of Primark and dirt-cheap clothing, far more clothing is thrown away than ever before. Why do you think all the clothing street markets vanished from Brixton? Even they can struggle to compete on the pricing of essentials.

But however you spin it, a £20 fizz-fuelled two-hour jolly falls far short of most people's idea of 'sustainable fashion.'

2019-06-14_130336.jpg

Went past yesterday. There was a DJ playing directly to the posh grazers and bubbly quaffers of Champagne & Fromage. I'm struggling to think of a more soul-destroying DJ gig.

2019-06-14_130913.jpg

Gotta admire the amount of expensive kit though. Despite being approx 30cm from each powerful speaker, he has his own monitor set up too.

None of the speakers are expensive. Mackies are about £500 a pair and probably the cheapest things you can get away with..apart from Alto, the monitor system of choice :)

None of the speakers are expensive. Mackies are about £500 a pair and probably the cheapest things you can get away with..apart from Alto, the monitor system of choice :)
Including the decks and mixer (both Pioneer), that's around a grand's worth of gear to play (quietly) in front of 20 people filling their faces with champers and artisanal treats. And the monitor is total overkill for such low audio levels.

Back
Top Bottom