Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Village, Market Row, Pope's Road, Lost In Brixton, Club 414 & Ton Of Brix - Taylor McWilliams and Hondo's Brixton Empire

It could be that Mike Ashley might have good plans for the market. I don't think we should judge until we have all the evidence in front of us.It could be that the new reality under Mike will benefit Brixton.
This is the kind of business he runs:

The billionaire retailer Mike Ashley has been running Sports Direct like a Victorian workhouse, building his success on a business model that treats workers “without dignity or respect”, a scathing parliamentary inquiry has found.
The report by the business, innovation and skills (BIS) select committee, which was triggered by a Guardian investigation last year, said Ashley had used “appalling working practices” and treated his “workers as commodities rather than as human beings”.

The committee’s chairman, Iain Wright, said: Whistleblowers, parts of the media and a trade union shone a light on work practices at Sports Direct, and what they revealed was extremely disturbing. The evidence we heard points to a business whose working practices are closer to that of a Victorian workhouse than that of a modern, reputable high street retailer. For this to occur in the UK in 2016 is a serious indictment of the management at Sports Direct and Mike Ashley, as the face of Sports Direct, must be held accountable for these failings.

“It seems incredible that Mike Ashley, who visits the Shirebrook warehouse at least once a week, was unaware of these appalling practices. This suggests Mr Ashley was turning a blind eye to conditions at Sports Direct in the interests of maximising profits, or that there are serious corporate governance failings which left him out of the loop in spite of all the evidence.”

Mike Ashley running Sports Direct like 'Victorian workhouse'

Hasn't he already acquired popes road? He obviously fancies being some sort of feudal lord of the manor.
Somebody has acquired Popes Road - the pound plus shop where I get my diaries every year is having a closing down sale - and hasn't ordered in 2018 diaries. I guess I will have to pop up to Walworth Road?

Oh no! It's one of my favourite Brixton shops.
Yes - they did all sorts from vacuum gags, bulbs, cooking utensils etc. A bit like a mini Robills for those with a very long memory.

Meanwhile the good news is is you want a selection of cheap diaries I can recommend Card Factory on the ground floor level of the Elephant & Castle Shopping centre - which is itself due to be demolished of course.

Yes - they did all sorts from vacuum gags, bulbs, cooking utensils etc. A bit like a mini Robills for those with a very long memory.

Meanwhile the good news is is you want a selection of cheap diaries I can recommend Card Factory on the ground floor level of the Elephant & Castle Shopping centre - which is itself due to be demolished of course.

It was a useful shop. I used it over the years. Bought window blinds there.

Reactions: CH1

Elephant and Castle - another place I shop at on way home- under threat.

Best shop in brixton. It always has the things that you can't find anywhere else. My go-to shop. I'll really miss it when it has gone.

Sports direct will be a very poor replacement.

Reactions: CH1
just been told that the market has been bought by a company owned by a Texan billionaire although he might in in business with the Irish guy who was supposed to have bought it. there is a meeting between the new owners and the market shops/traders on Monday, hopefully more will be revealed

just been told that the market has been bought by a company owned by a Texan billionaire although he might in in business with the Irish guy who was supposed to have bought it. there is a meeting between the new owners and the market shops/traders on Monday, hopefully more will be revealed
Was in the times today I think

FFS. Brixton Market has joined the Billionaire's Plaything club, along with this country's newspapers, luxury hotels, jewellers etc. The plutocracy is getting stronger every day. I never thought they'd want in on Brixton. You couldn't make it up. Almost makes me want to vote Corbyn.

Aidan Brooks of Tribeca Holdings is apparently one of the new owners of the Market. I wouldn't be surprised if he and the others try and turn it into a themed retail space like Spitalfields market is now. Aidan Brooks has form for this, Tribeca Holdings his company had their fingers all over the changing of Spitalfields Market.

East London’s Old Spitalfields Market Taking Shape Under Tribeca Holdings

Last edited:
Aidan Brooks of Tribeca Holdings is apparently one of the new owners of the Market. I wouldn't be surprised if he and the others try and turn it into a themed retail space place like Spitalfields market is now. Aidan Brooks has form for this, Tribeca Holdings his company had their fingers all over the changing of Spitalfields Market.

East London’s Old Spitalfields Market Taking Shape Under Tribeca Holdings
That headline makes me want to vom:
Property developer wants to mix luxe with local flavor on 300 year-old market site
And then...
Asked to compare it with Covent Garden Market, which has a similar setup with covered stalls surrounded by high-end retail and restaurants, Turf said he wants Spitalfields to be “sexier, edgier, and more selective. A destination that’s used by East End locals who have long called London home.”

Some of the new arrivals to Old Spitalfields under Turf’s watch include McQ, which has an art gallery in the basement; Belstaff; Rapha Cycle Club and a pop-up store for the online women’s fashion brand Atterley.

Indie eyewear brand Cutler and Gross has opened, as has the tailor Joshua Kane Bespoke. Bobbi Brown has a space, while Ethos, the yoga/fitness hybrid based in Cambridge, England, is set to arrive next year.

Tribeca has also opened restaurants including the all-day brasserie Blixen; Wright Brothers fish-and-oyster restaurant, Taberna do Mercado — co-owned by Nuno Mendes, head chef at Chiltern Firehouse — and Vagabond Wines.
The market is fucked.

Lisa Mckenzie, Class War’s former parliamentary candidate for Iain Duncan Smith’s Chingford seat, was today charged with three public order offences for allegedly causing offence to a Texan property tycoon and friend of Prince Harry.

Lisa was arrested by Bethnal Green police on 2 April for allegedly putting a sticker on a window at One Commercial Street and holding up a poster of a graveyard with the slogan “We have found homes for the rich” – a poster that has been used by Class War for over 30 years. The offences were alleged to have taken place on 19 March. The garbled charge sheet was riddled with spelling and grammar errors.

One Commercial Street, which is owned by 29-year-old billionaire socialite Taylor McWilliams, has been the focus of a long-standing “Poor Doors” against social segregation in housing. McWilliams bought the building from Redrow late last year.

Texan Billionaire Friend of Royalty Targets Class War - Class War

Friend of Prince Harry.:facepalm:

Class War had right idea.

Bringing it to you straight from the streets! DJs Taylor McWilliams (Brixton Market owner) and his chums Carl Waxberg, Sebastian Macdonald-Hall and Jacobi Anstruther-Gough-Calthorpe.

Yah. Totes. Southside! Actually hes from the US so maybe it's "Like, totally" or whatever. Either way, fuck off. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom