Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brexit - impact on musicians, touring and the music/events industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd guess 20 quid a month might feel pretty unaffordable if you've not worked for a year, especially to join a union which isn't set up to represent the kind of work you do as a musician
Yep. With Covid knocking out all income for getting on a year and a half and Brexit destroying lucrative European dates/festivals for the foreseeable future, it's pretty hard to justify the expenditure of joining the MU which traditionally has very little power to affect positive change for small bands and artists.

Different story if you're a tuba player in a BBC orchestra though.

Less than a pint of beer per week is not unaffordable. This don’t join because solidarity ain’t on the agenda. Can’t pay or won’t pay MU rates was a bigger issue than the subs.
Who the fuck are you to tell people what they can or can not afford, or how they should spend their money? It's up to them to decide if the MU brings enough benefits to justify spending an additional £5 a week on top of all their other bills - and hugely reduced income because of Covid/Brexit.

To people on the breadline, £20 is not an insignificant sum of money. It could be the difference between eating decently or not.

A reminder: Musicians will lose two-thirds of their income in 2020

Yep. With Covid knocking out all income for getting on a year and a half and Brexit destroying lucrative European dates/festivals for the foreseeable future, it's pretty hard to justify the expenditure of joining the MU which traditionally has very little power to affect positive change for small bands and artists.

I don't have any experience of the Musician's Union, but I would guess that, like any union, they exist primarily to fight for the interests of their actual members, so if small bands and artists don't join, it's hardly surprising that their interests aren't represented.

As I think I've said before, many of the problems being discussed on this thread appear to me to be underlying problems with the industry which have been made worse by Brexit and/or Covid, rather than problems created by them.

And to some extent I'm left wondering why, if the industry you're in is so problematic, are you still in it after so many years?

Presumably it's because, even with all its problems, you still prefer it to having a more 'traditional' type job, which is fair enough, but to some extent you appear to be wanting it both ways.

I don't have any experience of the Musician's Union, but I would guess that, like any union, they exist primarily to fight for the interests of their actual members, so if small bands and artists don't join, it's hardly surprising that their interests aren't represented.
Why is it, do you think, that so few small bands and artists have joined? Any ideas?

And to some extent I'm left wondering why, if the industry you're in is so problematic, are you still in it after so many years?
It wasn't particularly problematic until Covid and now Brexit, and it's sad to hear you so desperate to support Brexit that you're reduced to dad-like "get a proper job" rhetoric'

Being a musician is a job. Not all jobs are easy to make a living from. Thankfully creative people don't listen to people you else you'd have no fucking music to listen to and no arts to enjoy.

How do I want it 'both ways,' by the way? I have several jobs, not all music related, but I guess I could stick banner adverts and pop ups all over this site and make it a proper job.

This!!

tbh industries that don't involve travelling across multiple european countries should have been considered during the negotiations. but look at eg the silversmiths whose hallmarks are no longer recognised in europe. when the pm is on record as being of the opinion "fuck business" it's hardly a great surprise the entire thing's a clusterfuck for a whole host of activity is it
Could do with a thread on Brexit and it’s impact on silversmiths , this one is past its sell by date .

Why is it, do you think, that so few small bands and artists have joined? Any ideas?

It wasn't particularly problematic until Covid and now Brexit, and it's sad to hear you so desperate to support Brexit that you're reduced to dad-like "get a proper job" rhetoric'

Being a musician is a job. Not all jobs are easy to make a living from. Thankfully creative people don't listen to people you else you'd have no fucking music to listen to and no arts to enjoy.

How do I want it 'both ways,' by the way? I have several jobs, not all music related, but I guess I could stick banner adverts and pop ups all over this site and make it a proper job.
I'm sorry you're in a shitty position ATM, but lashing out at what you think I've said rather than responding to what I've actually said doesn't really achieve anything

The collective bargaining power of bands on the lower rungs of the live scene is not what those demanding you join a union imagine it to be.
It's pretty much non existent. Pubs and small venues are struggling to stay afloat and there's little the MU can do about it. And that's not to put them down as union - I know they do good work if you're in the 'right' kind of jobs - but the financial realities at the bottom of the music industry make it hard to find valid reasons to join them.

You are really not covering yourself in glory here. I'm not sure what you think you are bringing to the table.
I was pointing out the laughable hypocrisy of the little baby who refuses to join a union calling for solidarity for others who also refuse to join a union. The baby got all sweary Mary because he looked silly and he does not like oiks showing him up.

It's pretty much non existent. Pubs and small venues are struggling to stay afloat and there's little the MU can do about it. And that's not to put them down as union - I know they do good work if you're in the 'right' kind of jobs - but the financial realities at the bottom of the music industry make it hard to find valid reasons to join them.
I just did some back of a fag packet costings and at union minimum rates - including a support band, also on union minimum, a rider and a sound tech (so not even including travel, overnight costs, promotion, venue hire, etc etc) - promoters are looking at needing an audience of a hundred at £5 a ticket before they even break even. Anyone imagining that kind of audience is reliably available for small bands (even tbh some not so small bands) has never tried their hand at promoting. And anyone who thinks they can charge much more for tickets to unknown or underground artists is also deluded. The margins are tiny and even with everyone being screwed promoters regularly make a loss - it would simply stop altogether if MU minimums were kept to across the board.

"Gaslighting" is it?

How about you respond to my actual post rather than what you imagine I've written?
Sorry, which parts did I specifically fail to address?

And seeing as you're being so pushy for answers, perhaps you could answer mine without further prevarication?

I just did some back of a fag packet costings and at union minimum rates - including a support band, also on union minimum, a rider and a sound tech (so not even including travel, overnight costs, promotion, venue hire, etc etc) - promoters are looking at needing an audience of a hundred at £5 a ticket before they even break even. Anyone imagining that kind of audience is reliably available for small bands (even tbh some not so small bands) has never tried their hand at promoting. And anyone who thinks they can charge much more for tickets to unknown or underground artists is also deluded. The margins are tiny and even with everyone being screwed promoters regularly make a loss - it would simply stop altogether if MU minimums were kept to across the board.
The MU famously demand a reasonable rate for performing. On one hand here it’s demanded that musicians and other creatives are shown solidarity. On the other that bands should continue to accept low or no fees (or a pint each in some instances ) and the MU are wrong to object.

Should we merge this with other Brexit threads or would it contaminate the content of the other threads ?
I see no reason why this thread should change. merge or move. It's in the music forum and it's all about the impact of Brexit on musicians and the music industry.

If you want to keep going on about silversmiths and Brexit, maybe you should start your own thread in the appropriate forum.

The MU famously demand a reasonable rate for performing. On one hand here it’s demanded that musicians and other creatives are shown solidarity. On the other that bands should continue to accept low or no fees (or a pint each in some instances ) and the MU are wrong to object.
Sorry, a pint in what 'instances'?

You tried pedalling this piece of bullshit before and got rightly slapped down.

And although it's been explained to you several times before, I'll try again. If small pubs and venues were compelled to pay bands full MU rates, most of those gigs would disappear overnight. All those free nights at the Albert you seemed to have enjoyed - where the community got together to dance and have fun - would never have existed.

And the bands kept coming back again and again because they were well looked after.

The MU minimum is a reasonable rate, I agree. But the economics of the lower end of the music industry mean that - unless there's a wholesale change in the gig-going public's attitude to paying for live music - it's not an achievable amount for huge numbers of bands. How do you pay union rates when 30 people turn up to the show at £5 a ticket? How do you pay union rates when a hundred people turn up, but you don't have a door charge? Where's the money coming from?

The MU minimum is a reasonable rate, I agree. But the economics of the lower end of the music industry mean that - unless there's a wholesale change in the gig-going public's attitude to paying for live music - it's not an achievable amount for huge numbers of bands. How do you pay union rates when 30 people turn up to the show at £5 a ticket? How do you pay union rates when a hundred people turn up, but you don't have a door charge? Where's the money coming from?
So you think it acceptable to pay little or no fee to bands to perform? Yes or no will do.

This argument was used a lot to oppose the introduction of the UK’s minimum wage. Im not surprised to see it advanced here. Especially amongst people who would not join a union.

I was pointing out the laughable hypocrisy of the little baby who refuses to join a union calling for solidarity for others who also refuse to join a union. The baby got all sweary Mary because he looked silly and he does not like oiks showing him up.
I have read all the posts, and sorry but it's you that are coming off looking quite remarkably bad.
The reasons for not joining the union / not being helpful in this situation have been quite well laid out.

You have just been sneering through the whole thing. It's not a good look.
Makes my skin crawl.

Sorry, a pint in what 'instances'?

You tried pedalling this piece of bullshit before and got rightly slapped down.

And although it's been explained to you several times before, I'll try again. If small pubs and venues were compelled to pay bands full MU rates, most of those gigs would disappear overnight. All those free nights at the Albert you seemed to have enjoyed - where the community got together to dance and have fun - would never have existed.

And the bands kept coming back again and again because they were well looked after.
You posted on these boards here several times that you paid a pint approx per performer at your Offline gigs at the Albert in Brixton.

Shall I do a search? It was a decade ago so no worries if you forgot.

I have read all the posts, and sorry but it's you that are coming off looking quite remarkably bad.
The reasons for not joining the union / not being helpful in this situation have been quite well laid out.

You have just been sneering through the whole thing. It's not a good look.
Makes my skin crawl.
Stick me on ignore then creep.

So you think it acceptable to pay little or no fee to bands to perform? Yes or no will do.
Absolutely. I promote shows myself from time to time - I've never made a profit, and often have to pay some expenses out of my own pocket - I would not be able to do it at all if I had to find hundreds of pounds out of the ether each time I did it. It's always upfront what the situation is though, and most of the people who play the nights I do are regular performers.

Music performance exists on a continuum that runs from fun hobby to multi-million pound concerns, and most musicians are very aware of where they sit on that continuum - it's silly to demand that union minimums could or should apply to niche music with a very limited audience, or to new bands with no fans or performance experience.

Unless you can find a load of extra money that isn't coming from door tax or bar takings for these performers from somewhere, if you enforce union minimum rates then niche music performers and new bands simply wouldn't get to perform at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom