Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BrewDog: yet another hip company using 'rebel' language to sell its stuff

Guinness is just an adequate but unremarkable mass produced stout. All that 'they do a great pint of Guinness' nonsense is proper genius marketing.
Guinness changes from pub to pub. If you sell Guinness in a pub in Ireland, you get a visit from a Guinness rep every few weeks, and they clean the lines and make sure everything is right, and even then it's hard to get a perfect pint of Guinness. In England it's a lot easier to get a shit pint of Guinness than a decent one.

Guinness is just an adequate but unremarkable mass produced stout. All that 'they do a great pint of Guinness' nonsense is proper genius marketing.
You very much notice the difference in pubs between a good pint and a poor one.

Mulligan's and O'Donoghue's have the best.

Outside of Dublin... mixed bag. It's said that Guinness doesn't travel and yet it's one of our biggest exports.

Personally prefer Murphy's or Beamish, but do appreciate a good Guinness.

Guinness changes from pub to pub. If you sell Guinness in a pub in Ireland, you get a visit from a Guinness rep every few weeks, and they clean the lines and make sure everything is right, and even then it's hard to get a perfect pint of Guinness. In England it's a lot easier to get a shit pint of Guinness than a decent one.

Nah, this is all marketing. It's a keg beer, as long as the lines aren't chock fill of filth or something then one pint will be exactly like the next. There's nothing unique about it that makes it particularly variable compared to any other beer at all.

Personally prefer Murphy's or Beamish, but do appreciate a good Guinness.

yes, personally preference would be beamish then murphys then guinness

not sure i've seen beamish or murphys on offer in england for a while. pub i used to go to in fenton (north staffs) used to have beamish on tap. murphys was subject of a big marketing campaign a few years back but they seem to have given up

Nah, this is all marketing. It's a keg beer, as long as the lines aren't chock fill of filth or something then one pint will be exactly like the next. There's nothing unique about it that makes it particularly variable compared to any other beer at all.
Yeah this sounds right. There are cask beers that need to be handled very carefully. London Pride is a good example - lovely when fresh from the barrel with clean pipes, can be really horrible if not. But keg stuff? It's designed so that it doesn't go off.

You hear this a lot but I reckon I've had as many poor pints in Ireland as I have in London. The best I've had was in Bristol.

This is the most important thing about Guinness. All the marketing, the "so many seconds before topping up", all the tilt of the glass, good things come to those who wait, it's mostly marketing and fluff.

What a pub needs to do is twofold: pour enough pints to keep Guinness fresh, going through enough barrels a week to stop it sitting there; and cleaning lines properly.

If a place is dead, or doesn't have staff who knows a cellar, Guinness is a hard mistress to satisfy.

This is incorrect. Having drank it from Ticknock to Tokyo for nearly 40 years, there is definitely a difference.

This is the most important thing about Guinness. All the marketing, the "so many seconds before topping up", all the tilt of the glass, good things come to those who wait, it's mostly marketing and fluff.

What a pub needs to do is twofold: pour enough pints to keep Guinness fresh, going through enough barrels a week to stop it sitting there; and cleaning lines properly.

Guinness and also any other beer.

You hear this a lot but I reckon I've had as many poor pints in Ireland as I have in London. The best I've had was in Bristol.
I've had plenty of bad pints here, but I've had far more good pints here than in England. Saying that, I've had far more pints here than in England :D

There are cask beers that need to be handled very carefully. London Pride is a good example - lovely when fresh from the barrel with clean pipes, can be really horrible if not.

yes - in the late 80s, i spent some time in the east midlands - place i stayed in some times had two local pubs, both hardy and hansons / kimberley (since taken over and closed by greene bloody king - :mad: ) - you'd not have known it was the same beer at both - bloody awful at one and bloody good at the other.

But keg stuff? It's designed so that it doesn't go off.

i don't know the technicalities, but crap guinness is certainly a thing, as is good guinness.

sounds plausible.

yes - in the late 80s, i spent some time in the east midlands - place i stayed in some times had two local pubs, both hardy and hansons / kimberley (since taken over and closed by greene bloody king - :mad: ) - you'd not have known it was the same beer at both - bloody awful at one and bloody good at the other.
Some beers seem to be particularly susceptible. Pride is very sensitive to conditions. A bad pint of Pride is very disappointing, especially if it's in a Fuller's pub.

This is from a Grayson Perry thing which I saw today and I'm posting it on this thread.

View attachment 418198

IMG_1434-768x610.jpg

A warning for this. Are you kidding?

It's an affectionate contraction of the type that's seen all over these boards and one that I've been using good naturedly for years. Did he even complain?

There's a very clear agenda at work here, isn't there? At least you used to hide it.
The post was reported, and in line with the clearly stated rules, you were warned.

Mind you, I'm fascinated by this notion of me having some kind of 'very clear agenda' against you, given that you've been breaching the board rules on an almost daily basis here with your relentless trolling. Could you give an example of how my supposed 'agenda' against you has manifested itself recently?

FYI: I've had you on ignore for months.

This is the only one I'm involved in though. It's a straightforwardly dishonest attempt to manufacture a ban hours after the post, that wasn't reported, on a thread that the mod in question has posted several times
Feel free to check with other mods if the post was reported or not. And then you can apologise.

The post was reported, and in line with the clearly stated rules, you were warned.

Mind you, I'm fascinated by this notion of me having some kind of 'very clear agenda' against you, given that you've been breaching the board rules on an almost daily basis here with your relentless trolling. Could you give an example of how my supposed 'agenda' against you has manifested itself recently?

FYI: I've had you on ignore for months.

Feel free to check with other mods if the post was reported or not. And then you can apologise.

If it was reported you should have told whoever reported it to fuck off, or ignored it like you do whenever I've reported far worse posts. It's a completely harmlessly intended nickname that I've used for many years with Brogdale, who, for the record, very kindly immediately PMd me yesterday to assure me that it wasn't him who reported it.

If it was reported you should have told whoever reported it to fuck off, or ignored it like you do whenever I've reported far worse posts. It's a completely harmlessly intended nickname that I've used for many years with Brogdale, who, for the record, very kindly immediately PMd me yesterday to assure me that it wasn't him who reported it.
If we're going public on PMs...I did also say that I'd prefer my proper username to be used, so the reporting did initiate a useful, frank discussion.

Time to move on, I think.

Back
Top Bottom