Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BrewDog: yet another hip company using 'rebel' language to sell its stuff

How would they know, particularly if under managerial pressure to sell product?

Most BD's have table service, so they may or may not. The point is, they're not doing anything that loads of other boozers don't.

Pretty much any cricket or rugby club will have a few pitchers lined-up when the gaffer pulls the shutters down, and we've all seen pub landlords serve up several drinks for punters to queue before calling time. It's completely commonplace!

Maybe worth asking yourself how likely it is that they're selling 4 pint measures to single punters rather than groups of pissed lads at last orders?
Usually in a group there will be one who has less self control or sense and that will be the one who ends up downing the excessive pints. I'm afraid trying to pretend you are the expert here in excessive drinking doesn't exactly wash.

I'd like to express solidarity with the BD workers who wrote that letter. Well done them for standing up for themselves.

But beer towers at last orders aren't what I'd focus on. People ordering double rounds at last orders has been a common practice for as long as there have been last orders. And I've never been refused service in a pub for being too drunk, despite having drunk way too much many, many times. Very drunk people ordering too many drinks are an important source of income for lots of pubs, if they're honest.

I'm afraid trying to pretend you are the expert here in excessive drinking doesn't exactly wash.
I wouldn't say he's the expert, but having read plenty of his late night posts, I'm pretty certain he's an expert.
I fell onto the wagon last year. Does that mean I'm no longer an expert? :confused:
I reckon it should make me a consultant :D

I'd like to express solidarity with the BD workers who wrote that letter. Well done them for standing up for themselves.

But beer towers at last orders aren't what I'd focus on. People ordering double rounds at last orders has been a common practice for as long as there have been last orders. And I've never been refused service in a pub for being too drunk, despite having drunk way too much many, many times. Very drunk people ordering too many drinks are an important source of income for lots of pubs, if they're honest.
Not sure what kind of measure of success it is but I have been refused service quite a few times that I remember (and quite possibly a few more) and am eternally grateful for the professionalism of the staff who did so.

Another one for the ignore list, PR1Berske.

:D I think it's safe to assume that people who don't drink alcohol are implicitly excluded from discussions regarding people who do.
I was just proving your sweeping statement wrong, that's all. You said that you doubted there was a poster on this thread who hadn't bought a drink whilst drunk. Well, there is at least one.

Not sure what kind of measure of success it is but I have been refused service quite a few times that I remember (and quite possibly a few more) and am eternally grateful for the professionalism of the staff who did so.

You realise that this doesn't diminish the point that LBJ was making?

How would they know, particularly if under managerial pressure to sell product?
This notion that understaffed bar workers in a jam packed bar are somehow going to be able to follow drunk customers back to their table to see if their beer tower is being shared by four people or not is laughably ridiculous.

And I'll tell you what: I'm getting really, really fucked off with trolling morons here making light of the exploitation of bar workers who are being put at personal risk because of the pressure they're being put under by their shit bosses.

I regularly see staff members refusing to serve drunk customers and - again - I have never, ever heard of any bar worker being forced to serve drunk customers huge amounts of beer.

I'd recommend that everyone look up the pubs they go to here. You can set it as a map view. If your favourite pub is not shown, then boycott it, if you are serious.

If someone else makes a claim about a particular pub you can check it there.

It's interesting to see how few pubs in Brixton show up: in fact almost none.
to become accredited with the living wage campaign you have to pay a small fee which in turn funds their campaigning work costs, so those listed will have paid to be accredited and been checked out

to become accredited with the living wage campaign you have to pay a small fee which in turn funds their campaigning work costs, so those listed will have paid to be accredited and been checked out
This is true, of course, although if you do pay the LW, it makes good business sense to join up. Cheap publicity.

Looking on that site, there's one pub and a handful of microbreweries signed up in the whole of London. Looking at restaurants, the odd small one, but not a single high-end place. A few catering companies.

Great minds, Broggers ;)

A warning for this. Are you kidding?

It's an affectionate contraction of the type that's seen all over these boards and one that I've been using good naturedly for years. Did he even complain?

There's a very clear agenda at work here, isn't there? At least you used to hide it.

A confession. Last week I tried my second ever BD beer (Hazy Jane). This came about through the kindness of Mrs B who had been shopping for her old Mum in Home Bargains and found a bottle cheap and thought I may like to try it. Mrs B doesn't do Urban and so doesn't know about this thread or BD etc. So, to be polite I graciously accepted the gift and drank it; I know, I know.

Not to my taste really; very fruity flavour which seemed to mask any beery-ness. I'm sure there are some that like the products but the two that I've tried (HJ & the mock Guinness) were both pretty poor IMO.

Anyway, back to the bickering.

A warning for this. Are you kidding?

It's an affectionate contraction of the type that's seen all over these boards and one that I've been using good naturedly for years. Did he even complain?

There's a very clear agenda at work here, isn't there? At least you used to hide it.
Maybe people are just bored of watching these tedious and fruitless arguments and just don’t want to read them anymore

I bought the mock Guinness from Lidl last week. Four 440 ml cans for 4.75, so cheap. I think I'd struggle to tell it apart from real Guinness in a taste test. It's fine.

Hazy Jane is meh. Dead Pony Club is nice.

I don't think the issue with BD is with the beer quality tbh. There's worse beer out there. Although I was slightly surprised to find PunkIPA as the UK entry on the menu of international beers in a pub in Kawasaki. They clearly are pushing their products far and wide. (Ireland was Guinness, predictably. I went for their Belgian entry of Chimay Red.)

I bought the mock Guinness from Lidl last week. Four 440 ml cans for 4.75, so cheap. I think I'd struggle to tell it apart from real Guinness in a taste test. It's fine.

Hazy Jane is meh. Dead Pony Club is nice.

I don't think the issue with BD is with the beer quality tbh. There's worse beer out there. Although I was slightly surprised to find PunkIPA as the UK entry on the menu of international beers in a pub in Kawasaki. They clearly are pushing their products far and wide. (Ireland was Guinness, predictably. I went for their Belgian entry of Chimay Red.)
I was genuinely disappointed with the mock Guinness; thought it was very lifeless and the flavour had little or no depth for such a dark roast.

Maybe people are just bored of watching these tedious and fruitless arguments and just don’t want to read them anymore

Nobody is forced to watch them and there are scores of tedious and fruitless arguments arguments on here all the time. This is the only one I'm involved in though. It's a straightforwardly dishonest attempt to manufacture a ban hours after the post, that wasn't reported, on a thread that the mod in question has posted several times since.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom