Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BrewDog: yet another hip company using 'rebel' language to sell its stuff

I lived in NE Scotland for a few years, I'm well aware of the area thank you.
Given that you said that a commuter town half an hour from Scotland's third largest city was "remote", I think your awareness, along with your dismissive attitude to rural areas of Scotland, could be improved upon considerably.

Given that you said that a commuter town half an hour from Scotland's third largest city was "remote", I think your awareness, along with your dismissive attitude to rural areas of Scotland, could be improved upon considerably.

Wouldn't Aberdeen be more a market town if it was south of the border? If so I can see being half an hour out feeling like the arse end of nowhere.

Wouldn't Aberdeen be more a market town if it was south of the border? If so I can see being half an hour out feeling like the arse end of nowhere.
There's no question that snooty quasi-metropolitan southerners think a lot of places are like "the arse end of nowhere" and can't imagine anyone having anything to do except drink.

TBH. Ellon is closer to American suburbia than the old NE market town it once was.

Ellon/Ythanbank were one of those places that expanded dramatically during the exploration phase of the oil industry and housing was the only priority, not infrastructure or social facilities. Those have only begun to appear in the last decade or so.

There's no question that snooty quasi-metropolitan southerners think a lot of places are like "the arse end of nowhere" and can't imagine anyone having anything to do except drink.
You live further south than me, so not quite sure why you're throwing 'southerner' around as an insult.

Or why you're picking a fight on a Saturday night.

You live further south than me, so not quite sure why you're throwing 'southerner' around as an insult.

Or why you're picking a fight on a Saturday night.

"Southerner" is not the insult. And this started with you insulting rural northern Scotland, which I feel entitled to defend.

"Southerner" is not the insult. And this started with you insulting rural northern Scotland, which I feel entitled to defend.
I just said there wasn't much to do there and it's a bit far from most places. It's not like I called it a festering boil on the arse of civilisation, is it?

I think you need to check what 'insult' means...

It's better described as a bit snooty, rather than as an insult, true enough. Snootiness often comes from ignorance rather than from intent to offend.

For the vast majority of the population of Great Britain, including a good chunk of Scotland, Aberdeen is remote. Let alone some four digit population town half an hour up the road.

Do you defend Brewdog too, teuchter? Do you feel entitled to speak on behalf of two men who often also feel entitled to be misogynistic?

Why do you feel entitled on this thread?
I'm entitled to object when I see people coming out with the kind of nonsense I've heard all my life about a part of the country that I know very well. Looking forward to hearing about how this is actually all down to misogyny and something about brewdog though.

For the vast majority of the population of Great Britain, including a good chunk of Scotland, Aberdeen is remote. Let alone some four digit population town half an hour up the road.
By the same reasoning, for the vast majority of the population of Europe, London is remote.

By the same reasoning, for the vast majority of the population of Europe, London is remote.
Except that London is a major centre of population in a way that Aberdeen isn't. And you can get a direct flight there from pretty much every major centre of population in the world. From most places if you were going to Aberdeen you'd go through London.

Except that London is a major centre of population in a way that Aberdeen isn't. And you can get a direct flight there from pretty much every major centre of population in the world. From most places if you were going to Aberdeen you'd go through London.
If you're now defining remoteness on a global scale, then Aberdeen really doesn't come anywhere near the top of the scale. It's very well connected to London which as you say is a major international travel hub. Aside from the fact that its airport has regular flights directly to continental europe as well.

If you're now defining remoteness on a global scale, then Aberdeen really doesn't come anywhere near the top of the scale. It's very well connected to London which as you say is a major international travel hub. Aside from the fact that its airport has regular flights directly to continental europe as well.

75 flights (in and out) a day. Nearly 3/4 to UK destinations. It must be like being at the crossroads of the world :rolleyes:

There's a problem of cultural scale here.
To Scots places like the Outer Hebrides is remote. Those on the Outer Hebrides will argue they ain't that remote.

Meanwhile down in London anything past Zone 6 is remote.
Going past Watford is Game of Thrones North of the Wall territory.

I've been to Aberdeen. It took aaaages to get therre. There was feck all to do once I got there. The place ran on oil revenue. Supported by workers who spent more time at sea than in their hooses.

It certainly felt remote to me.

75 flights (in and out) a day. Nearly 3/4 to UK destinations. It must be like being at the crossroads of the world :rolleyes:
What argument are you trying to make exactly?

The assertion was that this commuter town, half an hour from Aberdeen, was remote, and had so little "to do" there that one of the few options was drinking.

That's the context of the claim that it's "remote". We can talk about remoteness as a measure of distance, either in time or space, from larger population centres, in which case it becomes a completely relative measure. So on what scale are you measuring this remoteness and why? It looks like you want to look at things globally and are focussed on international aviation hubs. In that case, do you think the residents of Aberdeen and immediate environs have difficult access to those hubs compared to most of earth's population?

A more relevant measure - based on the "nothing much to do there other than drink" assertion, would be access to goods and services. Compared to the general population of the UK (let alone the world) does someone 15 miles from Aberdeen have a low level of access to goods and services? They are half an hour from a city where you can find pretty much anything that you can find in any town in the UK.
If you're on an island in the Hebrides with three ferry services to the mainland a week, and then a five hour drive to the nearest town with a similar range of goods and services as can be found in Aberdeen, then you can meaningfully talk about remoteness, at least relative to the bulk of UK population.

You lot that think somewhere just outside Aberdeen is "remote" are simply ignorant, and judging remoteness by "I'm not sure I can get an Uber there from my house". Reflecting on things I feel sorry for you, that your horizons are so small that the only thing you can conceptualise doing in places that aren't virtually next door to Heathrow Airport is getting drunk, which would no doubt soon be followed by ranting at the locals expounding some unpleasant aspect of your narrow-minded worldview.

I found Aberdeen a nightmare to fly from. Direct flights to oil industry centres such as stavanger or Houston? Not a problem, sometimes multiple flights a day. Flying within the UK? Utter pain in the arse, especially if you were trying to get to somewhere else.

Its relative unremoteness from Aberdeen is something that has held Ellon back - Despite the horrible main road (replacement still under construction), it is reasonably possible to get from Ellon into the city or to the airport and some of the main oil biz employment centres (Dyce, Bridge of Don) in about the same time as it would take to get from Aberdeen's more attractive districts - and Aberdeenshire's planners were much more amenable to housebuilders than the city, so any advancement of the town itself beyond residential was given low priority. That it had become a kind of centre for more remote places in Buchan itself was pretty-much ignored in favour of Peterhead.

Last edited:
What argument are you trying to make exactly?

The assertion was that this commuter town, half an hour from Aberdeen, was remote, and had so little "to do" there that one of the few options was drinking.

That's the context of the claim that it's "remote". We can talk about remoteness as a measure of distance, either in time or space, from larger population centres, in which case it becomes a completely relative measure. So on what scale are you measuring this remoteness and why? It looks like you want to look at things globally and are focussed on international aviation hubs. In that case, do you think the residents of Aberdeen and immediate environs have difficult access to those hubs compared to most of earth's population?

A more relevant measure - based on the "nothing much to do there other than drink" assertion, would be access to goods and services. Compared to the general population of the UK (let alone the world) does someone 15 miles from Aberdeen have a low level of access to goods and services? They are half an hour from a city where you can find pretty much anything that you can find in any town in the UK.
If you're on an island in the Hebrides with three ferry services to the mainland a week, and then a five hour drive to the nearest town with a similar range of goods and services as can be found in Aberdeen, then you can meaningfully talk about remoteness, at least relative to the bulk of UK population.

You lot that think somewhere just outside Aberdeen is "remote" are simply ignorant, and judging remoteness by "I'm not sure I can get an Uber there from my house". Reflecting on things I feel sorry for you, that your horizons are so small that the only thing you can conceptualise doing in places that aren't virtually next door to Heathrow Airport is getting drunk, which would no doubt soon be followed by ranting at the locals expounding some unpleasant aspect of your narrow-minded worldview.
Well let's look at those services shall we?

First, no railway station. That's not helpful.

It has a farmers market once a month.

There's a swimming pool and a health centre, plus a youth centre and a park and ride facility. Population is just over 10,000 according to the ASPC (Local estate agents network).

There's three primary schools and one secondary school. It does have a library open six days a week, five of those until 7.30pm.

There is also a community centre which runs a wide variety of classes and events, and a Sunday cinema which seems to run a few times a month. Plus it can be booked for weddings or birthdays and so on. Want to go to the cinema on any other night though, or not their limited releases, you'll need to go to Aberdeen.

There's no hospital, nearest would in Aberdeen.

From the park and ride, its roughly an hour to Aberdeen. Stagecoach run a mostly hourly service (hourly in rush hour, looks like every 90 minutes outside those time periods and last service is 6.30pm on weekdays. No stagecoach buses on a Sunday on that route). There's an hourly service on a different route on a Sunday, but it takes 90 minutes and last bus back from Aberdeen is 6.20pm. A different website claims there's a later bus at 8.20 during the week but knowing the vagaries of stagecoach I'm not 100% convinced.

There are a number of restaurants in Ellon, covering a few different cuisines such as Indian, Italian and Chinese as well as traditional Scottish food. If you want chain restaurants Aberdeen is the nearest place. There's several bars in the area.

There's a few supermarkets - co-op, tesco and aldi.

So not too badly served within the town itself, but as with many small towns public transport appears inadequate and time-consuming. Plus a hospital is far away if you become critically ill.

Its about to get worse - End of March sees our direct flights to Frankfurt axed:

German airline Lufthansa axes Aberdeen flights to Frankfurt - Evening Express

Which leaves Amsterdam as our only connection to a major international hub outside the UK.

The Flights to Houston, Baku etc are all industry charters and surprisingly difficult for non-oil people to get tickets-on. Stavanger is scheduled though.

However I can remember the days when my Uncle was coming back from Canada and whilst he was waiting for his usual Canada-Heathrow-Edinburgh (or Glasgow)-Train to Aberdeen route, for the first time ever he saw a direct flight to Aberdeen come-up on the board at Heathrow - Now that was progress..! :D

Plus a hospital is far away if you become critically ill.

It's less than 20 miles away :facepalm:

I'm honestly baffled as to what frame of reference places the town you've just described in any category of "remoteness". It's bog standard for, or even a bit better than, any similarly sized place in the UK.

Is this all connected with oil decline?

Last summer, as far as I know for the first time ever, they put more coaches on the Fort William portion of the sleeper than the Aberdeen one...custom, I gather, has dropped right off.

As far as I understand, yes - Although the oil decline is a moot point. I think the bottom was reached over a year ago but since then, its been quietly but steadily picking-up. Confidence is certainly much better and trade in ancillary areas is picking-up again.

Then there is all the money being poured into decommissioning - Apparently 2020 is going to be the key year there, when it starts-up big-time.

It's less than 20 miles away :facepalm:

I'm honestly baffled as to what frame of reference places the town you've just described in any category of "remoteness". It's bog standard for, or even a bit better than, any similarly sized place in the UK.
Far enough if you're having a heart attack. A broken bone is generally one thing, a heart attack or stroke needs urgent treatment. 20 miles is pretty far at a time like that.

Back
Top Bottom